Render freezes on "Uploading GPU nodes buffers"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Render freezes on "Uploading GPU nodes buffers"

Hi, I have a problem with rendering on GPU in 3ds Max. Often the render freezes on "Uploading GPU nodes buffers". And the render times are very inconsistent. It can render a frame in 2 minutes and the next time I render the same frame it takes 7 or 9 minutes.The only warning in the log is about not verified drivers but I have the oldest drivers for RTX 3080 I could find (456.71)
    My specs:

3ds Max 2021.2
    V-Ray 5 hotfix 2
    Intel Core i7-9700K
    Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080

Do you use 2d displacement on lots of objects or on some high-poly objects?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks Vlado. I have turned off displacement globally and ther first tests are promising. So I hope thats the case.

Comment

Also having the same issue. Two identical configurations with dual 2080Tis in NVLink. One of them is rendering normally, the other is freezing on uploading buffers (No inconsistencies, it never passes to render succesfully.). Disabling displacement does get rid of the problem, but that is not really a viable solution.

Running Max 2022 and V-Ray 5 with their latest updates.
        Last edited by msl; 30-04-2021, 03:54 AM.

Comment

Hi

I have the same problem as yours, i always get stuck buckets for 4 or 5 hours, i use the 2d displacement which is a nice feature in vray 5 for vray gpu, but can't finish My renders, i use 2 2080 ti with nvlink and in vray next i didnt have this kind of problems so i think chaos team need to look what's it's going in on. I use vray 5.1 for sketchup, sometimes i get different times in render and Also diferent amount of vram, vray 5 was an amazing release, but we need stability with vray gpu, Also vray gpu progressive render it's very slow.

Thanks in advance

Comment

I've noticed that renders also sometimes freeze on Pass (0) finished on progressive GPU on V-Ray 5. Never had this issue with V-Ray Next. Currently it seems that GPU is not stable enough for production rendering as we constantly have to monitor the progress on different nodes while rendering over weekends.

Comment

Just giving this a bump because I'm also experiencing V-Ray GPU freezing on "uploading GPU nodes buffers" when using 2D displacement.

Comment

Hi,

Displacement in general requires more memory. Could you please try to optimize 2D displacement by decreasing the resolution here. If some of you use 3D displacement you have to increase the edge length.
                Please monitor your memory usage in the VFB stats window here. Here we have an article that will help you optimize memory usage for GPU. Also, you can check Muhameds post here for additional tips.
                If you are still having issues, please send us the scene file for investigation here.
                Thanks!
                Martin Minev | chaos.com
                Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
                X