Using Rendered Region Results in Unhandled Exception Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Rendered Region Results in Unhandled Exception Error

Upon drawing a new rendered region in the VFB while in IPR mode, I get the following: error: Unhandled exception occurred, will exit render loop

I have recently downloaded V-Ray 5 for Max 2021 and started testing GPU with a relatively simple scene. Materials are overriden with a VrayMtl on default settings. The log in the %temp% folder gives no clue of the error other than the error message above, repeated 10 times. Max continues to function but V-Ray is frozen and another renderer cannot be selected. A Max restart is required to enable V-Ray again. The scene was originally composed on different computer with FStorm; although, as far as I can see, all FStorm items are removed. In addition, two errors appear upon opening the file - an error regarding chamfers created with a newer "chamfer version" than the current, "version 410" vs "version 400"; and an error regarding a missing Floor Generator DLL, which was installed on the other computer but not this one. I'm including this info because it may be pertinent to the render error rather than V-Ray itself.

Hi!

I have the same problem with my 3DS Max + VRAY. I used the last version of Vray ( Vray 5, update 1 (5.10.00 build 00003) with NVIDIA Driver's updateds. I have created a scene from 0 to see if they were compatibility issues, but it keeps happening. In the November version these problems did not happen

Any solution?
    Attached Files

Comment

No solution yet - I have to run a production render if I want to use a render region. I haven't had the chance to test it from a totally fresh scene, and I thought for sure it was the compatibility issues present in my scene, but your account suggests it may be something else.

Comment

Hi guys,

Thanks for letting us know. As I am not able to reproduce such issues from a simple test, would it be possible to forward a sample scene with the issue reproducible through our contact form? It may be a specific material, combination of materials + settings causing this. Also, make sure to mention this thread in the email, thanks!
        Nikoleta Garkova | chaos.com

Comment

Hi,

It is not a problem of the scene. It happens with a new scene of 0 with a simple sphere and a light. Even without anything. When you change several times the "Render Region" Vray gives error. and makes it impossible to work. I have tried to downgrade to "hotfix2" and it works perfectly. Configuration and everything from 0.

Scene with materials: https://youtu.be/DhG1XDtRQpU
          New Scene: https://youtu.be/P4EGfbyYvp0

Comment

Can confirm this one as well.

I have 1 more issue in line with this. Every time I switch off a region render the entire image re-renders again. (So it wipes all progress) Not sure other people encounter that as well. (Follow mouse keeps the progress intact if I switch it on and off.)
            Last edited by Yard2380; 09-03-2021, 07:16 AM.

Comment

I am trying to replicate the steps in the video provided by mgonzalez but to no avail: http://ftp.chaosgroup.com/support/sc...2_14-45-01.mp4
              Do let me know if I am missing out something. Yard2380 regarding your 2nd concern, this should be expected behavior since the render is running; once you cancel the region, the whole frame will render.

Please either get in touch with us through our contact form to schedule a remote session or forward us an old scene so we can see if we can reproduce it on our side.

Comment

Originally posted by nikoleta.garkova View Post
                Yard2380 regarding your 2nd concern, this should be expected behavior since the render is running; once you cancel the region, the whole frame will render.
                This is indeed what happens and happened. With the key difference in the last few versions that the entire render starts over (including the rendered region itself) I believe before this, Vray would leave the cleaner region as is, and continued to iterate the rest of the image from the point where I started to do the region render.
                This might be a setting that I'm overlooking.

I made a vid of this behavior in a simple new scene: (Box, Vray plane and 1 Vray dome light.) I have to stress that I'm on a higher CUDA (5001) version then is recommended so if the behavior is because of that, I apologize.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/soarrfes6e...08-08.mkv?dl=0

To come back to the issue of the opening post: I can replicate the region render crash on the same scene used also in the video. I made several changes in materials, region-ed as if my life depended on it, and it does not crash. I finally moved the cam and it crashes. However the relation with a camera movement seems random, it might be an effect of the new information Vray has to process.
                Restarting the rendering at that point is not an option anymore, saving the file and exiting Max normally still does work.
                It can take up to 40 minutes of working fine with the IPR active before this crash occurs. I can't pinpoint it. I did not use region render last night to see if Vray would give the same behavior, but it stays rock solid. (With much heavier scenes)

Click image for larger version

Name:	lil bug.jpg
Views:	666
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	1107132
                ^ Error that I get after region render crash. I'm not sure about the location of that folder it shows there. It does not exist on my D: drive and I never install Vray apps on anything else but their default paths.

Hope this helps! Good luck with the hunt!

Comment

Hi Yard2380 thanks for the clarifications, regarding the video you shared - I've also tested in Next and it appears that only when rendering on GPU it will remember the region progress - I'll have to investigate further as to which is the right behavior. http://ftp.chaosgroup.com/support/sc...5_12-18-45.mp4

torsu and mgonzalez

We've managed to reproduce this - it turns out that hybrid rendering mode has to be enabled, otherwise when utilizing only the GPU it won't occur.
                  This is now logged under VGPU-5352 for developer investigation and we will make sure to keep you posted. To avoid this you might want to disable the CPU from the CUDA settings for now. Thanks for pointing that out!

Comment

Working...
                  X