Vray GPU bug - vray clipper does not work with mesh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray GPU bug - vray clipper does not work with mesh

As in titile: Vray GPU bug - vray clipper not working with meshes - its a very useful feature so I was wondering if there is an ETA for it. I see it has been requested for inclusion since 2018 in places on the forum, I assumed it would be fixed by now.

I swear every new project I start in Vray GPU ends up having to fall back onto Vray CPU due to no development on Vray GPU as a product. I have a GPU farm, cos mostly its fast when you stick to basic stuff but its a pain to split out shots to render on CPU and incur cloud costs.

Please decouple Vray CPU and GPU and make them seperate products.These are your core products please either listen to your users or put Vray GPU back into beta where it belongs.

Its pretty frustrating for this to continually happen. I guess its not as bad as the 4 year long matte alpha bug on GPU lol....

Second this

Comment

Hey guys,

1. You're right, this has been requested quite a lot during the years. Afaik, no render engine offers mesh clipper in GPU (please, correct me if I'm wrong) - it doesn't seem as trivial to implement (which is why we don't have an ETA yet), but I can assure you that we are listening. For what it's worth, I'll bump the internal ticket additionally.

I swear every new project I start in Vray GPU ends up having to fall back onto Vray CPU due to no development on Vray GPU as a product.
      Apart from V-Ray Clipper not being supported in GPU, any feedback on what else needs more improvement in comparison with CPU would be greatly appreciated. I understand stumbling upon unexpected issues may be very frustrating, but please keep in mind that we are unable to assist if we don't have sufficient details and/or scenes to troubleshoot. For many years now we're developing both CPU and GPU rendering simultaneously. Still, some things are trickier to implement in GPU. We have a dedicated GPU team working relentlessly - pointing us to specific issues is the key to improve development, which is why we value your input so much.

That being said, we're always ready to schedule a call or a remote session with customers so we can investigate any issue in detail. Best way to achieve that is to get in touch as soon as you encounter anything odd.
      Nikoleta Garkova | chaos.com

Comment

Thanks for the response Nikoleta.

In general I'd say the main issue I seem to encounter with Vray GPU lately is general stability in IPR - I work in Maya (2022) so I'm not sure if this is specific to Maya or not but still. I can't seem to make more than a handful of changes or tweaks without the IPR either crashing or it freezing up entirely and I have to force quit Maya. This in scenes with not too much complexity either. Its got to the point where I almost have to 'tread lightly' when going about lookdev, only making particular changes once I'm sure the IPR has caught up for fear of crashing it.

But yeah I guess we'll keep sending problem scenes over when we come across them

Comment

Hey GregCooper,

Thanks for the clarifications! Providing a scene would help us greatly, so as soon as you come across something - do get in touch.
          Nikoleta Garkova | chaos.com

Comment

I do like the idea of separating both engines. makes sense. putting a price tag on VRayGPU will allow the free market to do it’s magic in no time.
            Marcin Piotrowski
            youtube

Comment

Adding my name here as well. Clipper with mesh is a sorely missed feature, please implement ASAP!

I would also second the comment that GPU IPR is very sensitive, after a handful of changes it just craps out and I have to completely restart Maya. Note that this does not happen with Redshift. But I like Vray so stability improvements would be appreciated!

Comment

I had to pick up redshift for a job recently and it was actually quite nice to use, and I hate GPU rendering....It was so stable in IPR mode. I did miss some nice Vray features, and was glad to be back on Vray CPU on the next job, but I could duplicate lights and generally do whatever I wanted and nine times out of ten the renderer sucked it up.
                Website
                https://mangobeard.com/
                Behance
                https://www.behance.net/seandunderdale

Comment

Mesh clipper now works in V-Ray GPU 6.1 for Max.
                  If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
                  Chaos

Comment

Working...
                  X