No announcement yet.

Forest Pack scatters grass in a drastically different way with compared to CPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forest Pack scatters grass in a drastically different way with compared to CPU

Hi. I've got grass surface scattered with Forest Pack. It renders fine with CPU, but with GPU the scattering pattern changes drastically. See screenshot below. Why does this happen? By the way, I've got a texture that drives the scattered objects' scale. Maybe this is not fully supported with GPU?

Click image for larger version

Name:	forest_pack_grass_scatter_CPU_vs_GPU.webp
Views:	201
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	1185587
    Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1 ( 6.20.06 )
    AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

If the map you're using is procedural then that would cause this, as GPU does procedurals differently.
    If that's the case then this solution may fix it https://forums.chaos.com/forum/v-ray...p-inconsistent
    https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

The map is a texture in JPG format loaded through VrayBitmap. Sorry, I forgot to mention this.
      AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Comment

That's odd then. I've used images for scale recently and had no issues, plus I just tried this with a random map and it's fine also, so maybe
        something else is conflicting.
        Can you post the map you used maybe?
        https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

OT-that grass looks really great...is it a standard FP preset or something you worked up. Even the patchy one looks pretty nice (at least for patchy grass). I've always been a little disappointed with the standard preset "lawns" looking too regular and unrealistic - wondering if I should revisit them.
          www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Hi, dlparisi . The grass is an asset I bought from 3dsky and modified the diffuse textures a bit. The unevenness comes from the stripes texture used in the scale slot of the 2 Forest Pack objects.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex_M View Post
              Hi, dlparisi . The grass is an asset I bought from 3dsky and modified the diffuse textures a bit. The unevenness comes from the stripes texture used in the scale slot of the 2 Forest Pack objects.
              As I suspected. Thanks for the explanation.
              www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Working...
              X