Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop / Auto-save / Resume

Hey there,

I've been dreaming a lot about this feature and just thought it would be good to at least speak about this

I wonder, since RT in progressive, if there is any way to stop and resume the render from where it has been left. In addition, it would be great to have a auto-save during the rendering progress.

Here are a few example :
    1) I'm rendering on a single computer, but the night is coming and the farm is free. -> stop -> assign the nodes -> start again with the farm...

2) I'm rendering but would like to start doing some comp. RT saves automatically every X PPP (lets say 500 or 1kppp). I can start comping, my render is refining and for the few hours where I'm comping, the render still refine. I can comp till the last moment, and send the final product as good as we can in term of quality/work...

3) Let's say I'm rendering a anim (work on a sigle image as well), I would like to send the client a preview rough quality. When RT hits the hit point of the auto-save (500 or 1kppp for ex.) it saves the exr and go to the next frame. After 1 night I can send the client a nice preview of the animation. 2 Days after, after revision, the client comes back only with color grading changes and the rendering part is all good to go. It would already be done if I could have left the render going, and going. When the render hits the auto-save point, it saves and goes on to the next frame, once the anim is done, it automatically start again from the first frame and refine the previews render.

We are using RT more and more often now, mainly the GPU how is so much faster then the cpu, and we start to deliver final products rendered through GPU. Not all obviously because a lot of the features are still not full functional and the ram is still a big bottleneck, but for smaller jobs when we start from scratch with RT GPU in mind, it's been great.

I just dream about a way of let everything going and throw in the mix all the power we can when we can.

Even if that means to have a separated file with/other than the vrimg that stores the current render status plus the exr. Hard drive space isn't a problem considering the benefit it could be!

Maybe for vray 3?

Regards

Stan
    3LP Team

Hey Vlado,

Any idea if this has even been considered?

Thanks

Stan
    3LP Team

Comment

It's been on the "to do" list since forever; I hope we'll get to it soon.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Nice to hear

Thanks!

Stan
        3LP Team

Comment

Hey Vlado,

I know I'm digging this one out again,
          But I can't help myself thinking about this feature every single day that goes by.
          I'm just explaining this to the artists that I cross and they all agree that this would be a great feature, although, we all agree this would be way more usefull for the production render now with Vray 3 now...

Do you think something like this could come out one day?
          I know you said it was on the to do list, but I mean something that is more integrated with BB or any other render farm manager...

Even if you can just implement the fact of :
          1) "if there is nothing in the folder" just render from scratch"
          2) "if there is a file in the folder, resume from where it's left at for x"

This would be a time saver!
          I would queue up my animation 5 times on the network and once it's done the first "pass" it starts the render again and make the second one...
          For animation, it's just a awesome theory.

I'm here with a 1900 frames animation to render, some frames takes 20 minutes, some takes 50, it's hard for me with all that we've got in the pipeline now to be able to say, ok let's go for this or that noise threshold...
          It would be so great to queue up, and just have it refining few time the whole animation, and when we need to stop, we stop, and voila, the noise is what it is, is staid of going high and have the render finished too early or to low and not be able to meet the deadline...

Thanks

Stan
          3LP Team

Comment

Yep, I know... so many things to do and so little time Once the 3.0 release is out the door, we'll have more time to play again with stuff like that.

Best regards,
            Vlado

Comment

Great, Thanks Vlado,
              Nice to hear it's still being considered

Cheers

Stan
              3LP Team

Comment

Hey Vlado,
                I'm still dreaming of progressive animations that can be refined again and again over time.
                It's been a bit more than a year now, I was just wondering if you had any chance to have a look already into this?
                Even if this would make more sense with the production renderer than RT.

Stan
                3LP Team

Comment

Yes, it's definitely coming for the progressive sampler (the RT uses the same code anyways).

Best regards,
                  Vlado

Comment

You're guys are rocking!

I'm so trilled to be able to increment by passes animation renderings!

Please let us know when this would be available, even in the nightly

Thanks Vlado!
                    3LP Team

Comment

Working...
                    X