Displacement CPU/GPU Combination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Displacement CPU/GPU Combination

I noticed that displacement is solely calculated with CPU currently. It rendered one of my RT scenes somewhat useless.

I was thinking, can you default to GPU and then automatically go back in after the processing with the CPU to "touch up" with a safe threshold the areas with only Displacement applied?
    It's definitely faking results, but in most situations I think it would be better than nothing and would definitely make RT more useful.
    It would operate somewhat similarly in principal to using Render Masks.

Ideally, it would be great to implement Displacement just with GPU as well. I'm kind of curious as to why it currently doesn't work.

Thanks!
    LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
    HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
    Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Displacement on GPU doesn't work right now as it would take a lot of GPU RAM. We'll get to that sooner or later though; there are some other things that we need to do on the GPU first.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Plus one for GPU displacement.. I am trying to do everything with VrayRT as I have, and intend to buy more GPU equipped machines.

Comment

One of the guys is looking into that right now, so it will get into the builds sooner or later. You will need quite a bit of GPU RAM though.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Cool.. I don't use it all the time, sods law I needed it today. Quick switch over to normal vray and job done

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
            One of the guys is looking into that right now, so it will get into the builds sooner or later. You will need quite a bit of GPU RAM though.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            +1 for GPU displacement!!

Maybe we can have an option to check displacement off when need to be more conservative on the GPU ram. I rendered a large 10 million+ Polly arch viz scene recently on the GPU it looked good! except is was missing all the cool stuff that makes it standout i.e displacement, VrayEdgestex, dirt and procedural noise in the bump.
            "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
            Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Working...
            X