980 gxt with Vray RT

Hi Guys,

So I just got my brand new Nvidia 980 gtx card and I am want to start to use Vray RT.

I need to know how to setup Vray RT to use the cuda cores on the card. Is there a online setup guide to get me started with Vray RT? I have no idea where to begin.

Thanks for the help

Alex

just open max/maya whatever and choose RT GPU from the list and hit render :slight_smile:

I did that, and it rendered but I cant do anything in real time. IE change textures, lights etc. Thats more of what I am looking for. When I change the engine to CUDA and hit render I get an error message that says Vrya standalone has stopped working.

Are you changing one of your viewports to activeshade?

http://help.chaosgroup.com/vray/help/rt100/render\_3dsmax.htm

Which V-Ray build? Can you show me the output in the standalone command window? The GTX 980 requires a recompile of the GPU code, which older V-Ray build do not include. Other than that, I was playing yesterday with a 980 on my machine and it seemed fine with the nightly builds, so if worse comes to worse, we’ll get you that.

Best regards,
Vlado

Hm, I just realized that the official builds do not support the Maxwell cards; it would be best to email us to support@chaosgroup.com for an updated build.

Best regards,
Vlado

I will email the support team this morning. Thank you.

Alex

How’s the performance on the 980’s compared to the 780’s or titans?

I don’t have either of these unfortunately. But it is somewhere between a K6000 and a K5200, if that helps.

Best regards,
Vlado

980 is a small chip (like the GTX 680), so it’s not the successor of 780. NVIDIA will release at some point the full Maxwell, which will be the real deal :).

Yes, this is what they told me too.

Best regards,
Vlado

Hi Everyone Im Mario and Im having the same problem with my new GTX 980, but Im also having this error while Im working some scenes with OpenCL (Image Attached)
Im working with Max 2013 and Vray 3.0 (with the last update)

I discovered this thing… If I place a single teapot for example in a cyclorama to do some material tests and put some other geometry stuff in my scene OpenGL works great…but if I want to see in RT a more complex scenes then I get the same error about the Stand Alone problem.

Please, if you know some news about this problem or updates to Vray please tell us. I want to solve this problem.
Thanks..
Greetings!

Mario,

Please use CUDA when rendering with Nvidia GPUs :slight_smile: OpenCL option is there for AMD cards.

Peter, thanks for your time but CUDA isn’t working with nVidia’s Maxwell cards yet.
I attach you the error messages when I use CUDA.
I received a mail from Support telling me to ask at chaosgroup sales department a 3.X Nightly Access to be able to use GPU without any problem.. I sent the email today so I hope to get an update or something tomorrow.
:slight_smile:

There are some differences in the code when comparing CUDA and OpenCL, so it will be best to wait for access to the nightbuilds and try your scenes with CUDA (rendering will be much faster as well).

If it’s not a problem, you can send us the scene that crashes with OpenCL to try it here.

I just tried the latest nightly build and it works fine on the new Maxwell Cards :slight_smile: [I have GTX 970]

nVidia also recently updated their system so that beginning with Maxwell architecture and onward it should no longer be a problem to run older programs on newer cards.

Best regards,
Vlado

That should let you guys get a bit more sleep :slight_smile: