Boulder Peak Apartments - Exterior and Site Model

Hello everyone,

Over the past couple of months, my wife, @Kylie_Garubba who works as an architectural designer here at the same office, started working on a design for 2 apartment buildings for a client here in New York. We had the opportunity of double teaming this project together. After helping out with the design and finishing up the exterior model, we were given a site survey with contour lines and parking layout which helped to produce the site model.

Below, I am proud to share the final concept renderings of the project!

Steven Garubba & Kylie Garubba

DeGraw & DeHaan Architects

Those are some extremely nice and detailed renders, also love how atmospheric and natural looking they are! Awesome work both of you! :thumbup:

Thank you @Clemens_Musterle ! Our client wanted a few different style options and luckily Enscape made that process a lot easier to get quick feedback on options! We’re very happy that the client ended up picking this style so we could further develop it and enrich it with character and site context. Happy client and a happy planning board!

nice grass! sketchup/ skatter?

Thank you! Yeah i used Skatter with some megascan clumps of grass blended with Enscape grass. Really happy with how organically it came out.

You are rightly proud of this work - it is simply wonderful!
Respect and congratulations to you!

Very nicely done!:thumbsup:

in the close up views, is the grass created with the native enscape grass tool/parameters? looks great

nice!..i like ít..^^..

love your work - what is scatter of the grass out of interest ?

I love how it looks cheerful, lively, I prefer that style to gloomy, heavy or rainy scene setups. Great work!:thumbsup:

Amazing work, Steven and Kylie!

Thank you everyone for your kind comments!

As for the grass setup, I am using Skatter with Sketchup along with the native Enscape grass at the default 30%/30% height and variation.

Programmed Skatter to point proxies on normals of the topography surface to add variation. You’ll also see that I checked scale falloff on grass so that grass proxies scale down around the edges of the sidewalks.

Used 3 varieties of Megascan grass clumps:

Used 1 variety of Megascan basket grass at 5% probability:

Final tip: Always place some sort of objects or trees behind the camera and provide shadows on the foreground/grass area for added variation to your final image.

Best,

Steve

oh man I really wish we had skatter for Rhino …

Here, contact guys about it, Skatter is not all Ruby coded so I guess guys could see if they can manage a branch of Skatter to Rhino.

https://getskatter.com

already did weeks ago :wink: … right now there is no plan to port it ;(

Amazing renders. Did you use transmutr to bring the grass into Sketchup? How’s the performance?

Thanks! Yeah I used Transmutr to export from the Quixel bridge and save as a Sketchup model. It works like a charm and I highly recommend the workflow.

The performance was pretty decent in the beginning however I had to bring the density of clumps down once I got around to the back and had to cover more surface area. I believe I had to keep it below 40,000 objects in Skatter to hold high framerates.

Oh nice, that’s encouraging to hear. Aside from the grass, are there any other assetts you’ve used from Quixel? What about their materials? They’ve obviously got a really great library.

I honestly thought I wasn’t going to buy megascans because of all the random things they have like mushrooms and dead logs but they have a lot of different surfaces in there for archviz that are very high quality scans along with surface imperfections. The quixel mixer is also something I’m using now for creating different textures. You should definitely check it out!