Grasshopper Render Animation on GPU will crash

When trying to render an animation on GPU via Grasshopper, Rhino will crash after a couple of frames.
After using the latest Versions on both, I downgraded to the recommended Drivers (551.86) and Vray version (6.20.04) as mentioned here:

https://forums.chaos.com/forum/v-ray-for-rhino-forums/v-ray-for-rhino-bugs/1209585-updated-latest-vray-and-nvidia-driver-crash

I am running the latest updates on Windows and on Rhino as well. Rhino 7 will do the same. Also I posted this problem here:

but so far nobody was able to confirm a successful rendered animation.
I am positive my machine shall be sufficient.
(i9 - 14900K, 65 GB DDR5, RTX 4090 OC)

It is not possible to find out what´s wrong. After observing the render log in the first couple frames, no error is shown.
I tried every possible setting, please fix this.

If anyone else can run the attached file in Rhino Forum with success, I´d be happy to get some feedback. Thanks!

Dear @phillipc_reiner ​, hello.

I just moved the thread in the right forum section to keep order.
We received also your ticket (#260826) and the recently provided files.

As Nikolay Bakalov advised you at McNeel forum, please take a look for a .dmp created right after the crash.
You sent us RhinoCrashDump**.3dm**, but please be aware that the file format is different. Take a look for a .dmp after the next crash.
See the example:

​

We will examine now all details and write back.

Best regards,
TS

I see. File sent. Thanks for your help!

Hi again, @phillipc_reiner ​!

Thank you for your patience.
As I wrote you in the ticket I was able to reproduce the crash and it is now logged in our bug tracking system (VGPU-6502) for further dev investigation from our V-Ray GPU team.

The crash appears on Building GPU Light Cache phase, if the GI settings are switched to BF+BF the GPU rendering is successful.
I will keep you informed by any change.

Best regards,
TS

I have encountered a similar issue, and I’ve noticed that no matter which computer I use or how I adjust the settings, Rhino crashes unexpectedly. Following your advice, I attempted to modify the GI settings, but I couldn’t find how to do this within Grasshopper. As a result, I changed the settings in Rhino to use BF+BF (Brute Force for both primary and secondary rays). Unfortunately, this did not make a significant difference, and the random crashes continue, with Rhino shutting down abruptly without any error messages.

I would greatly appreciate any help you can provide to resolve this issue.

Thank you for your support.
​

Dear @zhang_han ​, hello.

After switching to BF+BF have you performed a render through V-Ray for Rhino? Because changing the setting in V-Ray Asset Editor and rendering again through Grasshopper won’t make a difference.

Waiting for your answer.

After switching to BF+BF, I attempted to render using Grasshopper, but it still crashed. I’m not very familiar with how to export the scene to Rhino for rendering. Could you please provide more detailed instructions on how to do this?

I noticed that the button shown in the image cannot be activated, and I’m unsure if I might have made a mistake somewhere. Your guidance on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your help.
​

​

Hi again,

After adding Render in Project component, please right-click over it and you will see Export Camera Animation & Export Sun Animation. Choose the wanted one.
Then after opening V-Ray Asset Editor Animation will be enabled.

Please give it a try and write back. ​

I tried following your advice, but I’m unsure if I understood correctly. It seems that when I export, I am only exporting the camera (or light; I selected the camera). Is that correct?

It appears that the main elements and their materials designed in Grasshopper cannot be directly exported to Rhino. Do I need to bake the Grasshopper components into Rhino, assign materials in Rhino, and then render?

Thank you for clarifying this.
​

Please let us check the scene by sharing it with us via our contact form.

We need to be sure is your case the same as described above and please note about sending .dmp (see here), because it is very handy for investigating any crash.
Meanwhile please confirm that you experienced this only when using GPU (CUDA and/or RTX).

I would like to seek your assistance regarding an issue I am facing. I have come across a setting for FOV in Grasshopper, but I am unable to locate it in the Rhino interface. I am unsure how to resolve this difficulty and would appreciate guidance on how to modify my FOV settings.

Additionally, I find it concerning that rendering animations through Grasshopper seems to encounter bugs, especially since my model is not very complex and consists of only around 200 frames. Many users have successfully generated animations using V-Ray for Grasshopper, so I wonder how their models have managed to avoid such issues. I believe there might be more effective methods or settings to prevent these bugs from occurring. If anyone has suitable suggestions, I would be grateful if you could share them with me.

Thank you for your time and assistance.
​

Dear @zhang_han ,

Please let’s focus on your questions one by one to keep this thread ordered.

  • this thread was opened for a GPU crash when rendering animations - as previously shared we need your confirmation that your case is related to exactly this and I requested the scene to examine it (don’t forget about the .dmp too)
  • FOV in Camera options in V-Ray Asset Editor could be activated via script - it is related to different Camera types which were hidden from the UI - left are the main used Camera types only

By sharing us a test scene we will be able to help you sooner.
Thank you for your understanding.

  1. I experience crashes almost every time I use the software, yet I never see the Rhino error reporting or the .dmp files you mentioned. The crashes are peculiar, as both Rhino and Grasshopper close simultaneously without any warning, making it feel as if the software had never been opened at all.
  2. I would like to inquire if there is truly no way to render animations directly in Grasshopper. Is it possible that by avoiding certain light settings or environmental designs, I could render animations within Grasshopper without having to switch to Rhino? It seems quite unbelievable that this is a necessity. Alternatively, is there a specific version of V-Ray that allows animation rendering in Grasshopper?

I have attached a sample Grasshopper file I found. I almost always crash when trying to render more than 70 frames. I hope you can take a look at it and provide any suggestions on how to avoid this issue. Additionally, if you could share any Grasshopper settings that would allow for continuous rendering of over 150 frames, I would greatly appreciate it.
Due to the large size of the Grasshopper file, I am unable to upload it, so I can only provide a link for you to download.Share - Nutstore - Cloud Storage|Cloud Disk|Network Disk|Synchronous|Backup|Unlimited Space|Free Network Hard Disk|Dropbox|Box|Onedrive|Google Drive (有效期至:2024-09-30 00:00)

Thank you very much for your help.

​

I would greatly appreciate it if you could provide me with a simple Grasshopper animation file that avoids crashes, even if it is just a basic example. Thank you very much!

Dear @zhang_han ​,

you have sent the file after our working hours and now the link is expired.
Please follow the official procedure, as previously described:

Please let us check the scene by sharing it with us via our contact form.​

Waiting for it.

Thank you very much. I have already submitted the issue I encountered along with a simple error file.
​

Thank you.

We are looking into it.