run through of my working method for vray 2.4 sampling in arch vis scenes.

Hi folks,

I just recorded a wee video of how I approach cleaning up a vray render in a predictable way. Its a very nasty scene with the bad scenario of a smallish window for the light to get in through so it requires some fairly high sampling to clean up. It doesn’t cover how sampling works in this video as Toni, akin and grant have all done good write ups of those, it’s more so a start to finish walkthrough of a fairly common arch vis type interior. The HD version is encoding now and will replace the SD version so you’ll get a much clearer idea of the noise I was seeing in the passes. Also note that this is done in 2.4 and there’s some bits in 3 that would help even more. It’s not meant to be a fully finished scene either, it’s just a representation of a fairly nasty arch vis scenario.

Cheers!

Thanks John, epic video :slight_smile:

I’m still going through it, but it’s refreshing to see other people’s processes. I think your video quite clearly shows my own woes dealing with render times & interior scenes.

will have to properly watch it, as I barely had to time to skip through now, but it’s already extremely fascinating to see how very good artists like you work. great effort and thanks a bunch for taking the time and sharing.

can you share your script for applying subdivs per blurry values?

Very nice John, just downloading to watch with excitement. I wonder, will you update soon with Vray 3?

Mark

I enjoyed the video. I like that your thinking isn’t so binary. Sometimes people take things literately, and from other recent discussions might have thought brute force is the only way we should be working, which isn’t totally accurate. But, having said that, have you tried brute force?

Also, you mentioned using a render farm. With the image, which had a pretty low resolution, what were your PC specs? Some might say that 3 1/2 hours is huge for a small, low resolution image, and horrific on a render farm. Personally, I would be totally happy with the quality and render time, but I have heard images like that should take minutes and not hours.

I was going to say that; 17h for the original image at this resolution seems a bit high, no matter what settings.

Best regards,
Vlado

It’s nasty alright - Vlado would it be worth sending the file across for profiling?

Also - worth noting that one of the last things I did was sort some intersection on the geometry (which took down our time by about 20%), since the scene is largely glossy refractions and raytracing, a large portion of that 17 hours was probably dealing with co-planer faces so it should have been a large portion less.

Yes, definitely. I was rendering a similar scene today and it took no more than 1h for perfect results.

Best regards,
Vlado

Can you upload the files scene so others can have a go at it too maybe?

Awesome work on the video John! Thanks for taking the time to put this together!

with the script you mentioned :slight_smile:

17 hours for that is madness. Count me in as one who’d love to have a go.

Solid process though - just much bigger numbers involved than i’m used to :slight_smile:

I’ll pop you a scene to your chaos email, of course now I’m crapping myself incase I left anything embarrassingly stupid turned on :o

Yeah, to be fair it was a jump to really unoptimized settings on the materials so quite a dramatic change!

I havent had 17h arch viz render since 2008 :slight_smile: I wonder what went wrong here hehe

First of all Joconnell, thanks for your work, very interesting.
About rendertimes, in my opinion, yet cheking subpixel on, u could get good improvements in therms of speed. Then for other parameters to optimize, I have to watch carefully the other settings u used. Do u have high depth values in reflections?
Thanks again

So here’s a first test; I didn’t test how long the original set up renders on that machine though; I just went straight to BF+LC (LC reverted to default settings, only left subdivs to 2000 and “use light cache for glossy rays” on) and your basic universal settings.

This is with V-Ray 3 though, will test 2.4 a bit later. I’m also doing a few more renders with different settings.

Best regards,
Vlado

Here is a second attempt; only difference is “min shading rate” is 8, to put more samples on the lights/materials/GI rather than AA. Much cleaner for only slightly longer render time.

Best regards,
Vlado