Clear All

hmmmmm
    looks like another quality upgrade!
    Chris Jackson
    Shiftmedia
    www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

http://features.cgsociety.org/story_...?story_id=3675
      (release announcement for max 9 and mayaX 8 )
      If the picture with all those textured characters on screen didn't take 5 minutes to refresh, the core improvements are massive, hey!

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...112&id=7635770
      Detailed features of maya 8, stole from Plastic's post on cgtalk

Lele

Comment

Just left the Autodesk 'party'... kinda tough to get food.

Anyway, nothing huge I could see - MR 3.5, and a new pointcache file transfer system between Maya, Motionbuilder, etc.

Big news is the 64 bit support. They had an arch viz firm from Britain there showing off a 12 million individual poly model of London, frame rates were acceptable and you could easily navigate it. Of course they were using the 1-gig ATI cards and 8 gigs of ram.

More interesting was Frantic Film's demo of their new particles system - billions of particles... definately going to head by their booth to check it out.

Now, just have to wait till tomorrow to pick up my dongle...

Comment

1 gig card would help!
          Chris Jackson
          Shiftmedia
          www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Maya people also pissed

It seems as though teh Maya people also madd at their upgrade. It looks like autodesk are taking the piss - we own them both so where are they going to to ? - how annoying.
            It won't be released until October, three patches by March, I won't be using it (if at all - still loving 7.5) until this time next year when they will drop another lame ass release on us.
            It's just sad.

Comment

hey Morbid,

Can you shed some light on Max 9 now it has been announced?

I was hoping for great viewport/overall application performance enhancement (big time) and a new layers or enhanced layers tool.

Currently, reading the update list, I will not be renewing my subscription. Too bad.
              rpc212
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"DR or Die!"

Comment

Yeh what happened

I think something happened it seemed as though this one would be a doozey. I got a reply from Vincent over at autodesk that suggested the same - but what we have is the dampest squib ever - is it just me or was there more in the upgrade from 7 - 7.5 then there has been in the last two releases combined. Where they testing something great that they pulled at the last minute ?

Comment

Well,

If the list currently released is what is coming I think there are going to be some pissed Max users! Animators will probably be happy as it seems as the upgrade focuses on them and also Mental Ray.

What to do, what to do? Not going on subscription will cost a bunch to upgrade. Being on subscription looks like a waste for Max 9 (Ionly say this not having seen anything but the press release). What a shitty postion we are all in. RRRRRRRRRR!!!!

My sub dies on Aug 3 too! Insert curse words here!!!!
                  rpc212

"DR or Die!"

Comment

i guess the main thing with max 9 will be upgrading to full 64bit max
                    Chris Jackson
                    Shiftmedia
                    www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Where is it going

For me it is more of a question of where is autodesk going - I don't think they are going away anytime soon, but the development of max seems so stagnated, it is just going to stay the same for the next couple of years ? or move it's arse forward ? - 64 Bit max is a good thing don't get me wrong, how long will it them to get it stable ?

Comment

Max is the last major 3D app to go 64 bit. Is Max now going to be the last at everything? 64 bit should have been with 8.

Man, sorry to be negative but this is just . . . not invigorating me to want to upgrade in the least.

Insert pee joke here, as that is what I would rather do than upgrade to Max 9 as it currently stands.
                        rpc212

"DR or Die!"

Comment

Maybe there is more to the story

I just e-mail Vincent at autodesk - I don't think, but maybe there is something more to this story then we are getting. I hope so.

Comment

hey Adam,

Thanks!

Maybe Vincent can give us the low down on Max 9! Lets hope there is more than what is being reported!

If not I think this is the lamest upgrade ever; been using Max since 2.5.
                            rpc212

"DR or Die!"

Comment

I agree

I agree - I started a bit later 4.2, I can't remember being less excited about testing out the new version - even 8 had the automated unwrap !! - I don't use it but it was a big selling point.

Comment

Yeah I knew a few people who were saying this was a bit upgrade and this is pretty weak. We all knew this would have 64 bit support and as far as I can tell that is all they have done.

Comment

Working...
                                X