VRay contest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRay contest?

what's about making a Contest using VRay?

Re: VRay contest?

Originally posted by n6
    what's about making a Contest using VRay?
    There's a regular one over at 3dluvr.com. I believe they also give
    away VRAY as pizes...
    vertex wrangler

Comment

They do give away VRay, but he meant a contest done *with* Vray ...

A ready made scene, only waiting to be lit and rendered ... That would be nice indeed.

Regards,

Nenad

Comment

Thats a funny idea.. Only thing allowed is making lights and changing render settings.

/Thomas
        www.suurland.com
        www.cg-source.com
        www.hdri-locations.com

Comment

... and (let's feel free ) moving the camera.

Regards,

Nenad

Comment

Originally posted by suurland
            Thats a funny idea.. Only thing allowed is making lights and changing render settings.

/Thomas
            And materials...
            The scene should be posted with all objects in 50% grey Standard mat.
            Torgeir Holm | www.netronfilm.com

Comment

naa.. I thought about materials... But if you can change materials it will turn into a contest on materials and not as much the light alone.

/Thomas
              www.suurland.com
              www.cg-source.com
              www.hdri-locations.com

Comment

Originally posted by egz
                And materials...
                The scene should be posted with all objects in 50% grey Standard mat.
                Yeh, yeh ... I know what you mean egz. With your new material script you would have a great advantage over us, simple mortals. Bad boy egz, bad boy.

Regards,

Nenad

Comment

Contest

I have to agree with Egz. In my opinion, materials play as much a role when rendering as the lights do. One can tweak the lighting in a scene with bad mat's until one goes blind, and it still will look bad.
                  Materials should maybe have all diffuse maps placed in them, with rules stating that the map has to be used, but can be used in any way one wishes as long as it is vissible as a diffuse map......hmmm..on second thought, that might be too open for interpretation. oh..never mind
                  Signing out,
                  Christian

Comment

Contest for contest rules

Well, if the materials play an important role, then the contest won't be specifically related to VRay anymore, except if only VRay mats and maps (including egzVRayMats) are allowed. Maybe a good compromise ... ?

Regards,

Nenad

Comment

I feel that using and optimizing materials is a large chunk of using V-Ray, personaly I never use anything but vraymats (except something like a composite or a shelac comprised of vraymats ) Materials can have a large impact on render times and perception. Without including materials any competition would be very dull IMHO.

Eric B
                      Eric Boer
                      Dev

Comment

Originally posted by RErender
                        I feel that using and optimizing materials is a large chunk of using V-Ray, personaly I never use anything but vraymats (except something like a composite or a shelac comprised of vraymats ) Materials can have a large impact on render times and perception.
                        I totally agree with you, but try look at it this way : If we had a well textured scene without having the right to change anything but the camera position/angle and the lighting, maybe we would discover more on how to make an image richer by only lighting it differently, better. I hope you understand what I mean. I actually think that modeling and texturing is at least as important as lighting, if not more. I just thought we could focus on lighting and see what we are able of in constrained conditions.

Originally posted by RErender
                        Without including materials any competition would be very dull IMHO.
                        IMHO, Playing with the camera alone is sufficient to make a contest. Not everybody has a good eye nor is able to feel the space. Not everyone is able to catch the right first and/or second plan, make a composition with the given elements by only changing the point of view, capture a relation between the overall and details, dark and light areas, etc. etc.

Regards,

Nenad

Comment

ok, point taken Let the games begin!
                          Eric Boer
                          Dev

Comment

Where is the scene?

Comment

/me checks his pockets and realizes that the scene is in his other pants...lol

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Working...
                              X