X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3dsmax 2017 New Features

http://www.autodesk.com/products/3ds-max/features/new

Seems pretty underwhelming.... Again!!

UVW improvements look pretty good but apart from that..nope, yet another year gone by where nothing much has improved. How far is 2017 away from 2014...apart from MCG I don't think there is that much extra. Glad I bought 3 years subscription.
    Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Eddie has written a comprehensive list of updates for 3dsmax 2017. If you’re disappointed here are some highlights worth the upgrade.
      Speed – My benchmark scene… I tested this and yes that’s a real improvement.
      CAD 3256 Objects – 9,000,000 polys:
      3ds Max 2014
      6-10fps

3ds Max 2016
      20-30fps

3ds Max 2017
      80-130fps

Python – We get proper Python implementation, import pymxs – Huge news for game developers, pipeline TDs, implementing Max into VFX house pipelines etc.

UDIMS in MAX!!!!!! Finally!

UV Editor – Now actually fast!

Sub-object selection – massively faster!

Allembic Cache any object! I’ll make a video about this!

HiDPI – QT Skin – 3dsmax may not look that different but it is a massive change. This isn’t just icon changes again, this is completely different UI, there’s over 6000 icons and 4000 dialog boxes in 3dsmax! Making it work on 4K monitors safeguards the future of 3dsmax and show they are committed to the long-term. I expect a lot more updates to come in the next versions now they’ve converted max to QT. I cannot begin to imagine how much of a huge amount of work this was to do to modern the tech under the hood of max. I could say more but I’d get in trouble… I’m hopeful for the next release.

Lots of plugins will be able to use QT and Python for their interfaces so expect a massive improvement to how plugins look and how consistent they are between Max and Maya.

And if you notice closely you’ll see that Mental Ray is now an optional component…. I wonder why… Must have be a pain to remove something so ingrained into the software. I wonder what they are planning to replace it with….
      Maxscript made easy....
      davewortley.wordpress.com
      Follow me here:
      facebook.com/MaxMadeEasy

If you don't MaxScript, then have a look at my blog and learn how easy and powerful it can be.

Comment

Not bad.

Maxscript made easy....
        davewortley.wordpress.com
        Follow me here:
        facebook.com/MaxMadeEasy

If you don't MaxScript, then have a look at my blog and learn how easy and powerful it can be.

Comment

lol, didn't that look underwhelming, until it shows the 120mil polys... :P

http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/there...n-3ds-max-2017
          Lele
          Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
          ----------------------
          emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
          The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Whoops..

"The Physical Material works in Scanline, Quicksilver, ART, V-Ray and mental ray at the moment."

Weird. Is editing a post not allowed here?

Comment

Uh ok if that viewport improvement is true, then im impressed. Now i wonder which graphics card he used? Also i read somewhere that now you can copy/paste modifiers with several selected objects!! Such a small thing but it's very useful. Also UV distortion map and Move/Relax Brush...

Also Python didn't knew about that... It means it's closer to full python like maya? Can we start using Python interfaces in max?

edit: I feel like for max it wasn't so much the number of polygons, but rather the number of objects... Try having like 30k geo particles in the viewport... hehe.
              Last edited by Moriah; 18-04-2016, 04:12 PM.

Comment

http://www.autodesk.com/products/3ds..._tnt=69291:1:0
                Lele
                Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                ----------------------
                emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

No way!!! Max installed fully in like 40 seconds?!?!? WHAT BLASPHEMY IS THIS? In the past it used to take 30 min or so Best feature so far no doubt!

Comment

Originally posted by oophus View Post
                    "The Physical Material works in Scanline, Quicksilver, ART, V-Ray and mental ray at the moment."
                    V-Ray will support the physical material natively, yes.

Weird. Is editing a post not allowed here?
                    You should be able to edit your posts.

Best regards,
                    Vlado
                    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_Wortley View Post
                      CAD 3256 Objects – 9,000,000 polys:
                      3ds Max 2014
                      6-10fps

3ds Max 2016
                      20-30fps

3ds Max 2017
                      80-130fps
                      In admittedly quick testing this does not seem to be the case for me. A in progress scene with about 900,000 polys averages about 70-80fps in 2016 (using the shaded mode) and about 30-40 in 2017 (using the performance display mode which I think is the equivalent). Anyone else?

EDIT: This is on a GTX 970
                      Last edited by dlparisi; 18-04-2016, 06:17 PM.
                      www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Well, I guess that sounds a bit better after a deeper explanation. What kind of things could Python do to make max more powerful. I'm not really a programmer but it would be interesting to know.
                        Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

If most users are like me, how many less times will I crash in a day? If I can go a day without crashing, I'm excited. The other stuff, at least for me, is irrelevant in my daily workflow.
                          Bobby Parker
                          www.bobby-parker.com
                          e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
                          phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
                          • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                          • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
                          • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
                          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                            V-Ray will support the physical material natively, yes.

Best regards,
                            Vlado
                            Is that the same physical materials as in Revit? If so, are there any advantage/reason to use VRmats?

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
                              If most users are like me, how many less times will I crash in a day? If I can go a day without crashing, I'm excited. The other stuff, at least for me, is irrelevant in my daily workflow.
                              I think this is more of an individual case. From personal experience even in heavy scenes with lots of plugins interacting. My max 2016 crashes maybe once every 4-5 days and just when I am especially mean and try to force things when max is obviously still trying to process some stuff.

What I am interested in if objects will stop disappearing in the viewport for no reason. For example you're working on a mesh and you zoom in and suddenly the object visually disappears and you have to rotate your camera until you find an angle or distance that makes it reappear.

Originally posted by dlparisi View Post
                              In admittedly quick testing this does not seem to be the case for me. A in progress scene with about 900,000 polys averages about 70-80fps in 2016 (using the shaded mode) and about 30-40 in 2017 (using the performance display mode which I think is the equivalent). Anyone else?

EDIT: This is on a GTX 970
                              Awww now I am way less excited
                              Last edited by Mokiki; 19-04-2016, 02:32 AM.
                              Cheers,
                              Oliver

https://www.artstation.com/mokiki

Comment

Working...
                              X