Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AD Maintenance plans look like being phased out.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by raymarcher View Post
    We need forrestpack and railclone for Blender, Autodesk is putting all our plugins behind a 2K paywall.
    +1

Or better yet, we need a Chaosgroup 3D app with those plugins supported.

Comment

Come on guys you all know were pretty much screwed and stuck with AD. We have been in 3D industry for more than 10 years now as a company, our max assets have grown to several terabytes. There is no way how we can transfer withouspending greater cist on the transfer than on the higher prices of the AD shitware....and AD knows this very well.
      Martin
      http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

Got that email too and I'm infuriated to say the least. To be honest, I wouldn't have expected any different from Autodesk. After the sh*t release that 2017 was, this is the new blow we get as loyal customers. If you think it's bad now, just wait and see how much innovation there will be once they get everyone by the b*lls with mandatory rental which WILL happen. I expect them to drop upgrades altogether in 2 years time, leaving you with the choice to either stay with the last version you own or going on rental plan as an only option to be able to use the new releases.

So which one is it going to be? C4D, Blender, Modo, Houdini? Maybe a combination of those? I'm open to suggestions. I've just about had it with Autodesk's shenanigans. The only real reason I'm still on Max is the plugins and assets. But in the long run I think it's worth the switch. I think of it as a long term investment. In the beginning you might not even have a great profit but in the long run it would pay off. If anything, I still own the latest Max version in the case I really need to do something in Max. It's not like we've seen huge innovations between Max 2009 and 2017... I would probably still be able to do 99% of my work with Max 2016 after 5 years with the help of external plug-ins and scripts and it will save me literally thousands of euros from Max updates touted as "releases".

Autodesk never fails to let down their customers, I'll give them that. Always going above and beyond with new and inventive ways to scr*w us over.

PS: I though I would put that here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39AV16MshrE
        Last edited by Alex_M; 04-03-2017, 04:05 PM.
        Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1 ( 6.20.06 )
        AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Comment

I pay quarterly for 3DS MAX and just the other day I saw Revit 2017 in my available software for download. Has this been added, or is there an internal screw up?
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com
          e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
          phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
          • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
          • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by raymarcher View Post
            We need forrestpack and railclone for Blender, Autodesk is putting all our plugins behind a 2K paywall.
            That's never gonna happen Blender is a protected by a great wall called GPL to prevent most of the commercial plugins getting through, and the plugins that get through, mostly renderers, cause they are based on getting data out of Blender, not inside of it, have their life made very hard due to this wall too

Comment

Subscription is one sided. It isn't at all for the end user, and if your business isn't centered on your client base, you will fail. Subscription services are clearly for the investors. For me, there was absolutely no reason to upgrade from R14, so they would have lost my thousands and multiple that by millions. Develop your software and if there is a good reason to upgrade, they will. Other than 2017 supporting 4K, I wouldn't have upgraded, and 4K should have been supported a long time ago.

Any 2018 rumors, yet? April is next month.
              Bobby Parker
              www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
              • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
                Subscription is one sided. It isn't at all for the end user, and if your business isn't centered on your client base, you will fail. Subscription services are clearly for the investors. For me, there was absolutely no reason to upgrade from R14, so they would have lost my thousands and multiple that by millions. Develop your software and if there is a good reason to upgrade, they will. Other than 2017 supporting 4K, I wouldn't have upgraded, and 4K should have been supported a long time ago.

Any 2018 rumors, yet? April is next month.
                Rumors harm investors and shareholders. So don't expect any (official) rumors until released. But based on past experience, I won't hold my breath for anything earth shattering.
                AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Comment

The PM has gone, the viewport team in Singapore went a while back.

I'm not expecting much from 2018 - some MCG development, Arnold interface (but no Arnold) - possibly the worst possible release to pitch this kind of thing.

I'm renewed up until next year anyway, after that I'll see.

There's no way on earth I'm going to hand over the keys to a perpetual license. It would be insane. More a case of whether maintenance sub + 5/10/20% cumulatively is worth it. By the past couple of years, I'd say it's barely worth it now.

Comment

Terrible news. Will a subscription plan allow using multiple versions of Max(i.e. different years releases)? At least Adobe's subscription fees seemed more reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by wxyz View Post
                      Terrible news. Will a subscription plan allow using multiple versions of Max(i.e. different years releases)? At least Adobe's subscription fees seemed more reasonable.
                      Deleted (misunderstood the question).
                      Last edited by Alex_M; 04-03-2017, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PIXELBOX_SRO View Post
                        Come on guys you all know were pretty much screwed and stuck with AD. We have been in 3D industry for more than 10 years now as a company, our max assets have grown to several terabytes. There is no way how we can transfer withouspending greater cist on the transfer than on the higher prices of the AD shitware....and AD knows this very well.
                        It's a VERY short road to writing the necessary asset convertor to ANY software ... I'd do it myself and probably make some fast money on it when the time is right

Comment

Originally posted by trick View Post
                          It's a VERY short road to writing the necessary asset convertor to ANY software ... I'd do it myself and probably make some fast money on it when the time is right
                          I'd buy such a converter!

By the way, relevant to this discussion is a comment posted on the ADSK forum by Kris:

Also, when 2018 comes out, I strongly suggest everyone read the Terms before installing. I wouldn't put it past AD to stick in "by installing this software, you agree to have your permanent license terminated at our discretion, upon the termination of the license/maintenance model". Since few read those, it would be just the right kind of dirty trick to do.
                          So keep your eyes open, folks because anything goes with ADSK. Don't put a blind trust on them to care for your interest, read any terms from now on VERY carefully before you download or install.
                          Last edited by Alex_M; 04-03-2017, 05:47 PM.

Comment

I guess they want to go the same path as Adobe did. Sadly they have a lot more competition than Adobe. I'm interested what will happen next.
                            CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

I'm currently using Sketchup for construction documents with layout and I replaced Autocad & Revit but this workflow is because I already was using SU to design my projects so I wanted to eliminate extra steps.... I have perpetual not that perpetual as it looks like license of Autocad, revit, max....if this keep getting worst I would have to go to Vray for Sketchup or jumping to Cinema4d and pray that Autodesk don't get it in the future. I don't mind paying a little more for what I have but bullying users to move is not acceptable. Few months ago I moved to Affinity and even I don't know how use it well I feel free with one less chain in my leg and I also download Davinci Resolve(free) for video editing.
                              show me the money!!

Comment

I don't know. I have been using Photoshop for 20 years and it never crashed. I didn't think it cold crash until CC. Now, I get a couple crashes a week. However, for $20 bucks a month, I can deal. Paying $190 a month, the software should never crash, IMO.
                                Bobby Parker
                                www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                                • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X