VRay.info T-shirt: call for ideas for v2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hey egz...

Sorry...I abandoned this to complete some frantic deadlines and forgot to add...

a teapot done in wirefrane might look nice. Your concern is well taken regarding a quality representation done in shaded format. You could make a halftone dot pattern, ala comic book style art and reproduce the image as a silk screen with little effort.

Similarly, you might ask your screen print vendor to quote the job in a single halftone screen, but have them drag about three colors of ink at the same time. The effect produces one-of-a-kind images each time when done by hand. This is also possible when done in quabtity production runs too.

Just a thought.

Comment

Re: hey egz...

Similarly, you might ask your screen print vendor to quote the job in a single halftone screen, but have them drag about three colors of ink at the same time. The effect produces one-of-a-kind images each time when done by hand. This is also possible when done in quabtity production runs too.
      Sounds nice indeed. Could you point at an example on the net? Just being curious...

Comment

Re: hey egz...

a teapot done in wirefrane might look nice. Your concern is well taken regarding a quality representation done in shaded format. You could make a halftone dot pattern, ala comic book style art and reproduce the image as a silk screen with little effort.
        Yeah, I have already asked them for the max LPI they are able to use. I think a 2 color print (solid white underneath for the shirt, and black for shading and shadow) could work well if they are able to do a fairly high LPI screen. This could work on most colored shirts, including white.

I have some design ideas for this in the works, will post later.

This could look pretty good, would probably be more expensive though..
        Torgeir Holm | www.netronfilm.com

Comment

Errrr, I'm not sure I can imagine exactly what that would look like. It's really intriguing me. Could you show an example made in PS, even a very simple one, just to get an idea? Please

Comment

example...

Okay...seems I'm always biting off more than I can possibly chew!

Since I'm always under deadline and short of time, I'll elaborate on the "look" of what I proposed.

An approach like the one I proposed would first be realized as a halftone dot pattern screen. Everyone can visualize the comic book dot patterns that constitute the printed artwork, right?

Okay...we reduce our shirt design to an ordinary dot pattern screen and produce the appropriate silk screen for print purposes.

The silk screen artist (the person who actually does the hands-on production) pours three different colours of silk screen ink onto the ready silk screen.

Lets assume (for arguments sake) that the three colours are; yellow, blue, and red.

The artist pours a line of yellow, blue, and red onto the screen and then drags that ink across the screen surface with a rubber squeegee forcing it through the screen and on to the surface of the shirt.

As the different colour inks are pulled across the screen they blend very subtly as they penetrate the screen and find their way onto the fabric.

The result is a one-of-a-kind "blend" each and every time the squeegee is dragged across the screen.

It's a very routine and ordinary screen print technique and can be very nice...especially if the colours are complimentary and chosen to appropriately support the image. It can look rather ghastly, as you can imagine.

To further visualize the idea, think of a rainbow effect. Suppose you wanted to silk screen your name on a shirt but wanted a bit more visual interest rather than a single colour. By using this technique you could make the letters of your name look rather like a rainbow. Now I'd find that tacky, but others may be pleased with it.

You get the ideas though.

Create a emboldened line/wireframe teapot.

Flood the silk screen with the VRay logo colours.

Drag the ink across the screen and...voila! nice image!

As I find time, I'll look for examples of the techinque and post em.

See ya!

jojo

Comment

A few quick tests:

Scaled down version of 2 color print (solid white, halftone screen black).

Comment

I personaly like this one :

Comment

Im digging the white teapot one... would buy one of those... stick a little vray logo on it.

EDIT: you could always have a contest for a logo thing.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

I don't anderstand the point of printing a teapot that any renderer can render...

It doesnt promote nor VRay nor VrayInfo... but maybe tea

Comment

I don't anderstand the point of printing a teapot that any renderer can render...

couldn't disagree more....

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

I also like the teapot design And like Percy I would prefer a white one on a white T-Shirt, a red one on a red T-Shirt and so on. Plus, of course, a VRay logo.

Andrea

Comment

Well, tea is good

Teapots are silly everyday objects that every 3D user instantly recognizes, while everyone else would go "huh?". Wearing a teapot will be out secret handshake That's what this T-shirt is about, not promoting only the VRay logo, that's something for another shirt (I'm thinking about making two different ones now you see) The fact that this is a VRay.info shirt is good enough VRay.info promotion for me.

I like the front clean like it is, without a logo, because it makes it more universal. But I'm thinking of adding a small logo to the back of the shirt, or on the sleeve.

Comment

secret handshake

I had ten minutes to kill this evening so I squeezed these off for your comments.

Please excuse the rather clumsy quality. Drafts really.

Comment

history of the teapot...

There use to be an interesting web page that elaborated
                              on how the teapot primative may have orginated.

The History of The Teapot. A Brief History of The Teapot. by Steve Baker.
                              (www.sjbaker.org/teapot/) Now defunct.

Alas... it seems to have disappeared.

Here's a photo I unearthed on Neil Blevins' site.
                              Perhaps it's the teapot! Anyone know for certain?

Comment

another concept...

As long as I'm being unproductive at paying projects tonight, I might as well post this concept too.
                                This is the simple halftone pattern I described some time ago.

Art is comprised of four (4) discreet colours. Would be screen printed using four silk screen steps.
                                I've dialed in the values or percentages of the four colours sort of at random.
                                If more thoughtfully chosen, they could be done on any fabric colour. Just adjust for max contrast.
                                The dot size can also be varied. I just liked the minimalist look of this size.

Comment

Working...
                                X