Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What about we ditch AcesCG and use AgX ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bigguns View Post
    one very important note: all the videos on yt comparing aces with agx (including this one) for reasons unknown use aces 1.2 and not 1.3 (from 2021). aces’ “hot blue turning purple” is not an issue any more. if you see this shown as an issue with aces you can assume missinformation or at least incompetence.
    Marcin Piotrowski
    youtube

Comment

Allright, i made ACEScg renders of the same scene, and using my approach now results to nigh identical results to yours.
      First image is the standard sRGB LWF render.
      On its right, a standard SDR ACEScg render of the same scene (max 2024 defaults, to be clear.)
      The line below shows the four look options using the expensive transform from ACEScg to Kraken Log and back.
      The bottom line shows the same four options, but simply feeding the OCIO setup a linear input.

the slightly bigger image is here.

Click image for larger version  Name:	AgX_CS_4k.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.00 MB ID:	1193332
      Last edited by ^Lele^; 17-10-2023, 04:14 PM.
      Lele
      Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
      ----------------------
      emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
      The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

This should be a live 'battle' type thing at every VrayCon...with a shark tank for the loser...tickets please
        https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

Image from:
          Testing_Imagery/mery_lightSaber_lin_srgb.exr at main · sobotka/Testing_Imagery · GitHub

this should show some differences between aces odt and AgX odt:

Click image for larger version  Name:	aces1.3srgbodt.png Views:	0 Size:	1.15 MB ID:	1193348
          Click image for larger version  Name:	AgXsrgbodt.png Views:	0 Size:	1.20 MB ID:	1193349

edit:
          ACES 1.3 with default gamut compress (built in transform from Resolve)
          AgX - aded lut to roughly match contrast of aces odts https://forums.chaos.com/forum/v-ray...16#post1192616

​​
          Last edited by piotrus3333; 17-10-2023, 12:55 PM.
          Marcin Piotrowski
          youtube

Comment

ocio config for testing AgX with some ACES mixed in (improves both acescg and linsrgb input) :
            https://forums.chaos.com/forum/chaos...89#post1195589
            Marcin Piotrowski
            youtube

Comment

I'm interested in testing this, but I really am confused how this works.
              We are not on Aces and probably never will be. Can we use AGX the same way as the filmic tonemap correction in the VFB set to AMPAS for example? If so, how is it done?
              https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

yes, you can use it pretty much like AMPAS.

just load the config in VFB and start from there.
                ​​Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	255
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	1195725
                the AgX version I'm using was designed with linear srgb input in mind I think. So no need for acescg renders although wider gamut is always nice to have.

note on different versions:
                the OG AgX from Troy James Sobotka - this is what I included with my config - super simple, very robust. available on github
                the Blender 4.0 version - apparently improved, more complicated - you get it with new Blender.

also Krita seems to be one of the easy ways to check different configs. It's quite a mess with level of ocio support between software.
                Marcin Piotrowski
                youtube

Comment

Originally posted by piotrus3333 View Post
                  It's quite a mess with level of ocio support between software.
                  That's the problem with color management in general...
                  Thanks for the help, I will try it.
                  https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Originally posted by kosso_olli View Post

That's the problem with color management in general...
                    Thanks for the help, I will try it.
                    some level of management is better than no management.
                    ocio is great. no question about it.
                    Marcin Piotrowski
                    youtube

Comment

Originally posted by kosso_olli View Post
                      I'm interested in testing this, but I really am confused how this works.
                      We are not on Aces and probably never will be. Can we use AGX the same way as the filmic tonemap correction in the VFB set to AMPAS for example? If so, how is it done?
                      after you try what is included in blender 4 - if you have resolve - look at this: GitHub - sobotka/AgX-Resolve: AgX Picture Formation for DaVinci Resolve
                      Marcin Piotrowski
                      youtube

Comment

Working...
                      X