Some extra Lavina bugs after testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some extra Lavina bugs after testing

Today for the first time we used Lavina in a workflow for a cliënt to test it in our production phase and below some extra bugs we noticed:

-Reload Scene sometimes reset changed lights in lavina
    -camera eye height option doesn't work
    -Instance vray lights not working
    -Rotating group uses wrong pivot point
    -Curtains with semi transparency blocks sunlights from HDRI
    -Layer structure would be nice, we now solved it by making groups for keeping the object list as clean as possible.
    -Disc lights get converted to rectangular
    -Denoising of glass gives black spots
    -No denoising in save image with imagesaver (not screenshot)
    -Fast switching of quality levels would be great. For example one is with low settings for walking around, the other is for quick rendering, the last is for production rendering.
    -If in vray override material is switched on, it can't be switched off in Lavina.

But nevertheless regarding the phase it's in (Beta 0.1) it's amazing and for us it would be the one that kills them all (Lumion, Twinmotion), because it integrates seamlesly with our workflow.

-Curtains with semi transparency blocks sunlights from HDRI
    Are the curtains using a 2-sided material, or do you mean something else by "transparency" ?

-Disc lights get converted to rectangular
    This is on the TODO list.

-Fast switching of quality levels would be great. For example one is with low settings for walking around, the other is for quick rendering, the last is for production rendering.
    What kind of control would you need over what gets included in these "presets" or "quality levels".
    Should it be just all the options that affect the rendering algorithm ?

-If in vray override material is switched on, it can't be switched off in Lavina.
    This is unfortunately unavoidable for now. When you switch on the "override" material in 3ds Max, the rest of the materials are no longer part of the .vrscene file.
    The override material is applied on everything.
    We would have to change how the override material works in V-Ray Standalone and modify the V-Ray for 3ds Max export, and only then we can fix Lavina to recognize this new override material.

Greetings,
    Vladimir Nedev
    Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Are the curtains using a 2-sided material, or do you mean something else by "transparency" ?
      The sunlight itself get's cut off (transparancy), so you don't get softer sunlight but no sunlight at all through the curtains. The GI is correct, but the sunlight passing through isn't.

What kind of control would you need over what gets included in these "presets" or "quality levels".
      Should it be just all the options that affect the rendering algorithm ?
      Just some simple buttons (3 or so) to quick click to several quality levels. Maybe even possible to set the quality leves ourselves. So that walking throug a big project is smoother when navigating and if more quality is needed i can be switched on the fly.

This is unfortunately unavoidable for now. When you switch on the "override" material in 3ds Max, the rest of the materials are no longer part of the .vrscene file.
      The override material is applied on everything.
      We would have to change how the override material works in V-Ray Standalone and modify the V-Ray for 3ds Max export, and only then we can fix Lavina to recognize this new override material.
      No problemo, as said before, it is already a amazing viewer!

Kind regards,
      Christian Wauben
      XR group

Comment

-Reload Scene sometimes reset changed lights in lavina
        Changes would only work if you saved a vrdx ("config") file. Is that the case? It is auto-loaded with the scene if it has the same name (the default save config name).

-camera eye height option doesn't work
        It only works while collision detection is turned on. I'm not sure how sensible it would be when the camera is free and could be flying everywhere.

-Rotating group uses wrong pivot point
        Pivot points are not exported as part of the vrscene. We are aware of the issue. We need to change our exporters for this.

-Denoising of glass gives black spots
        Could you share a screenshot? Denoising refractive objects has some limitations.

-No denoising in save image with imagesaver (not screenshot)
        Not sure what you meant by "imagesaver". Was it File->Save Image or something else?
        Nikola Goranov
        Chaos Developer

Comment

The sunlight itself get's cut off (transparancy), so you don't get softer sunlight but no sunlight at all through the curtains. The GI is correct, but the sunlight passing through isn't.
          I am sorry, I am still not sure what might be wrong.
          Can you get me an example scene ?
          It will help me fix it.

Greetings,
          Vladimir Nedev
          Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Changes would only work if you saved a vrdx ("config") file. Is that the case? It is auto-loaded with the scene if it has the same name (the default save config name).
            Yes this is the case but sometimes the changes are erased in the file (opened it in an editor and saw that the last line with the changes dissapeared).

It only works while collision detection is turned on. I'm not sure how sensible it would be when the camera is free and could be flying everywhere.
            We indeed used the flythrough mode. Maybe greying out is an idea when using this mode so it's users don't get confused?

Pivot points are not exported as part of the vrscene. We are aware of the issue. We need to change our exporters for this.
            So this is a vray update and not a Lavina update?

Could you share a screenshot? Denoising refractive objects has some limitations.
            See attached

Not sure what you meant by "imagesaver". Was it File->Save Image or something else?
            I just noticed that this was incorrect, it is working but we deactivated it because of the problem with the glass. My bad.
            So just ignore this line in the bugreport.

Comment

Originally posted by vladimir.nedev View Post

I am sorry, I am still not sure what might be wrong.
              Can you get me an example scene ?
              It will help me fix it.

Greetings,
              Vladimir Nedev
              Hmmm....strangly enough i just made a new simple scene with a curtain and a falloff map in the refraction and in this scene it is working. So maybe there is something wrong with the scene of my colleague. I will try to discover what is wrong next monday when I'm back at the office. For now just ignore this bug, it seems that it's a fault on our side.

Comment

For reference i thought that this wasn't working with the curtains (the shadows trough the curtain material) like in this example.

Is there a list for reference what shows which maps and materials can be used and which not? Like falloff, composite, doublesided and vraymtl, vraylightmtl and so on.

Comment

```Pivot points are not exported as part of the vrscene. We are aware of the issue. We need to change our exporters for this.```
                  So this is a vray update and not a Lavina update?
                  It has to be implemented on both sides, yes.

Hmmm....strangly enough i just made a new simple scene with a curtain and a falloff map in the refraction and in this scene it is working.
                  Actually, this shouldn't be working.
                  The performance of shadow rays is very critical.
                  For this reason, our "shading graph" system is not used for opacity maps and when calculating the transparency of a material for shadow rays due to refraction (when "affect shadows" is enabled on the material).
                  Instead, only file bitmaps are supported in these two cases.
                  So, the falloff texture won't work.
                  Not sure why it does what you want in one case and not the other.
                  Simple example scenes with both the working and not working version will help me understand what's going on exactly.

Is there a list for reference what shows which maps and materials can be used and which not? Like falloff, composite, doublesided and vraymtl, vraylightmtl and so on.
                  We have a compatibility page here in our docs site : https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...orted+Features
                  We are going to update it as we release new builds with more supported features.

Greetings,
                  Vladimir Nedev

Comment

Working...
                  X