No announcement yet.

Important V-Ray 1.5 announcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know it's been a while since I've posted on this thread, or here at all, but thought I would add to it today. I'm by myself since my freakin' coworkers are all at siggraph and I'm rendering a quick test.

Has anyone seen the new mental ray features?

One in particular snagged my attention quickly.
    Check out the video of those features if you want.

It was the feature that "rounds" edges. It doesn't really, but rather bends the normals at a set distance from an edge within a given angle. You can turn that on per material. It adds no geometry so the render time (other than antialiasing) is basically not effected. And in some cases is faster because less antialiasing is needed if it's not an outside edge.

The only other feature that really impressed me was speed.

I think they still don't have the glossy U and V seperate working yet.
    Is there a way to do that in Vray by the way? Anistropy didn't seem to affect the reflections. I'll have to play with it again later.

Really helps for things like stainless.

Comment

• woohoo, page 55!

Comment

• I think they still don't have the glossy U and V seperate working yet.
        Is there a way to do that in Vray by the way? Anistropy didn't seem to affect the reflections. I'll have to play with it again later.
        Did you use a vray material ? you have to set the glossiness below 1.0 and then set anisotropy...does the trick here.

Thorsten

Comment

• that only seemed to change the highlight and not the actual raytraced reflection. I suppose I'll try it again soon.

I think maybe I remember the anistropy didn't effect the environment. Maybe I'm wrong.

I do kinda like seperate U and V controls though, rather than saying, amount of anistropy. It's a bit easier to control.

Comment

• You can also control vray's anisotropy via a map channel. that's All UV you can get i guess :P

Thorsten

Here's an example with Highlight Glossiness set to 1, so no specular highlight at all It's a fully reflective plane under a box, glossiness set to 0.9:

Anisotropy 0.9

Anisotropy -0.9

Comment

• that's pretty nice I guess. That first image looks a little funky, but I can see the effect.

I'm just saying it would be nice to be able to effect the rotation like that and the length, but also the width a little easier.

I always have to go back and forth between anistropy and glossiness. It can be easier to just change the length, then the width, then the angle if needed.

Anyway, this seems like way too helpful of a topic for this thread. It's usually full of 1.5 1.5 1.5 1.5 and stuff like that.

although, now that people are actually getting it, I suppose it is dying down.

Comment

• Originally posted by andrewjohn81
                although, now that people are actually getting it, I suppose it is dying down.
                It will never die down

As soon as 1.5 is shipping then its on to 2.0
                Cheers,
                -dave
                ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

• thats the spirit!
                  Chris Jackson
                  Shiftmedia
                  www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Working...
                  X