No announcement yet.

Denoiser testers wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• with denoising, i have been using it and setting the max samples to like 6 maximum 8 and using bruteforce and its really fast, the rgb pass is not usable at all for me anymore since i prefer to use the denoise version but usually i used to watch the sample rate pass to make sure am getting red on edges for good sampling etc but essentially i since i use bf for interiors now alot i am just ignoring that since the denoise version looks really great, should one keep trying to optimise scenes that way or it means now the denoise version makes there no need to go in and optimise those? i see my relflection and gi pass etc as noisy stil, will there be an option to denoise those passes as well or is there a way to somehow combine them already in photoshop and not have noisy passes in compositing? maybe its been asked already am not sure or if its even possible to have the original passes and a denoised version as well?

i should also state that with the denoise version on my slow pc am getting amazingly clean images at 3.5k for some scenes in 30 mins aa samples 10, amazing work Vlado!
    Last edited by mitviz; 31-05-2016, 12:44 PM.
    Architectural and Product Visualization at MITVIZ
    http://www.mitviz.com/
    http://mitviz.blogspot.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/shawnmitford/

i7 5960@4 GHZm, 64 gigs Ram, Geforce gtx 970, Geforce RTX 2080 ti x2

Comment

• dam, someone just told me the option to denoise elements separately are there already uff, so excited using it at default didn't notice there are more options to it
      Architectural and Product Visualization at MITVIZ
      http://www.mitviz.com/
      http://mitviz.blogspot.com/
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/shawnmitford/

i7 5960@4 GHZm, 64 gigs Ram, Geforce gtx 970, Geforce RTX 2080 ti x2

Comment

• sorry for this question, but, is there any documentacion or tutorial on how to use it?
        Surrealismo
        https://www.facebook.com/surrrealismo

Comment

• As soon as SP4 comes out (it's done) the docs ought to come online as well.

But it's going to be REALLY easy, don't worry.
          Nothing can go wrong (you can denoise too much, and splotch, or too little, and have noise still.), and while you have your VFB open you can change as much as you please, check the results, and change again if you so desire.
          Worst case, you'll need to rewrite the output file (From the VFB, save the whole stack of layers, or just the denoised.).
          There is always the chance to use the command line tool on whatever you have output beforehand: because the layers and "beauty" are left untouched, you'll be able to extract as many variants of denoised images as you'll please from your stills or sequences.
          Lele
          Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
          ----------------------
          emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
          The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

• I have been following the posts, but I don't want to make assumptions. The premise is lower settings, faster renders, and clean up in post, with the denoiser. Is this correct? I read that it is a render element, so it isn't destructive. How much speed are you seeing, on average?

Also, I have tried all the PS denoisers and all fell short. Why is this one, inside V-Ray, better?
            Bobby Parker
            www.bobby-parker.com
            e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
            phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
            • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
            • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
            • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
            • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

• I have been following the posts, but I don't want to make assumptions. The premise is lower settings, faster renders, and clean up in post, with the denoiser. Is this correct? I read that it is a render element, so it isn't destructive.
              Correct, Bobby.
              How much speed are you seeing, on average?
              Speed, itt depends on settings, but a fullHD, RGB-Only denoise at default settings, on a run of the mill GPU goes in a few seconds (Blago posted some tests, AMD cards would take HALF a second....), on CPU slightly longer.
              Of course, if we're talking per-element, cross-frame denoising (3 frames minimum have to be read and processed for temporal coherence to be guaranteed), times are slightly higher, but a gtx980 (plain, stock.) was taking 2 minutes a frame for the tests in the linkedIn post, so with a strength of 5 and a radius of 10, and the results you can see (Links at the bottom of the LinkedIn article.).
              Also, I have tried all the PS denoisers and all fell short.
              Well, the approach Vlado takes with the denoiser is VERY personal an affair: he doesn't "copy" anything or anyone.
              Why is this one, inside V-Ray, better?
              But the proof of the pudding is in the eating: i suppose it's ultimately down to you to try it out and tell us if it's any better than other solutions.
              All i can offer you from here is renders, raw and denoised, report some timings, and give you my opinion, for little an opinion on "beauty" matters matters. ^^
              Lele
              ----------------------

Disclaimer:
              The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

• mmmmmm I love pudding
                And I am loving the denoiser!
                Chris Jackson
                Shiftmedia
                www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

• Originally posted by mitviz View Post
                  dam, someone just told me the option to denoise elements separately are there already uff, so excited using it at default didn't notice there are more options to it
                  Yes, but this is still not good for compositing as we denoise the elements internally but do not store the result anywhere. We will get to that.

Technically, it is possible to denoise some render elements (alpha, lighting, GI, reflections etc) even in the single-pass mode - we can just apply the same pixel blend as we do on the RGB pass to all other passes, so that the final results match when composited.

The whole thing is still a bit new for us too though, so we are just beginning to realize all the implications the denoiser has on people's workflows and what other changes are needed.

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

• hey guys, with the denoiser i am getting brighter results that the original rgb when denoising behind glass.
                    im setting my glass to affect all channels. should i use different settings for the glass material?

p.s: im denoising the elements, rgb denoising works
                    www.kobo9.ch

Comment

• Originally posted by khoross View Post
                      im setting my glass to affect all channels. should i use different settings for the glass material?
                      Use the single-pass denoising method and it should be better. I have not quite figured out what to do with the per-element denoising method in this case.

Best regards,
                      Vlado
                      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

• ok Vlado thanks,
                        it's not a big deal for me anyway, i just thought i am doing something wrong.
                        www.kobo9.ch

Comment

• Originally posted by jacksc02 View Post
                          mmmmmm I love pudding
                          And I am loving the denoiser!
                          Right? - This thing is KILLER!

I just got a rendering hang-up in RT/GPU and it doesn't seem to want to be interactive either...will have to do more testing...

-Alan

Comment

• Originally posted by Alan Iglesias View Post
                            Right? - This thing is KILLER! I just got a rendering hang-up in RT/GPU and it doesn't seem to want to be interactive either...will have to do more testing... -Alan
                            Hm, you got a machine hang-up ? If you have any more details, like - is it reproducible, what GPUs do you have, any specific things to do - that would be very helpful.
                            Last edited by savage309; 02-06-2016, 11:13 PM.
                            V-Ray fan.
                            Looking busy around GPUs ...
                            RTX ON

Comment

• Originally posted by savage309 View Post
                              Hm, you got a machine hang-up ? If you have any more details, like - is it reproducible, what GPUs do you have, any specific things to do - that would be very helpful.
                              There, see Alan? You woke up BT27. :P
                              Lele
                              ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

• I just tested the denoiser and I think I might do something wrong.

I rendered somes frames with net render. I added the render element vrayDenosier and saved all channels in one exr.
                                After the render I open the command line tool and get this error : Error: Input image does not contain a noise level render element; use the -threshold option to manually specify average image noise level
                                When I open the Exr I can see the VRayDenoiser.RGB which is all black.
                                I can still denoise using the threshold and the result is nice but is it normal to have this error ?

Also, when I add the argument -elements=1 I can see the elements being denoised the the file saved only contain RGB.

Other than that I love the result.
                                The default vray settings + the denoiser are a really good combo .
                                Gil Guminski
                                cynaptek.com

Comment

Working...
                                X