Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

convert all texture to .tx format makes the render slower...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• convert all texture to .tx format makes the render slower...

Hi,

I am using VrayNext,update2 and trying to optimize the render by converting all my texture into .tx format hoping to decrease the render time. Unfortunately the render time didn't went down and even got slower (around 30%).
    In maketx.exe the flags I am using are "maketx -v -u --oiio --checknan --filter lanczos3", which I copy straight from the arnold user guilde: https://docs.arnoldrenderer.com/disp...AF3DSUG/Maketx .
    Am I missing anything or do I need to activate some setting in order to benefit from using .tx?

In Arnold converting textures to .tx makes a huge difference in render time and RAM usage, I wonder if Vray will have the same effect.

Thanks!

Try and use either the offline converter i provided, or the RMC menu one which comes with max.
    Options (just as the maketx.exe) differ a bit (our makeTX uses slightly different defaults), so perhaps you will get a better outcome.

Should it stay similar, it'd be great if you could send a a sample to investigate what might be wrong to support.

In my tests, both memory usage and rendertime went down (in worst cases, the time loss was below 10%, in best cases, it went twice as quick.), while quality was between identical and appreciably better, but there could be specific cases where it's not so.
    Last edited by ^Lele^; 30-07-2019, 04:23 AM.
    Lele
    Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
    ----------------------
    emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Are you using Normal maps? In our tests tx'ing those kills render time.
      David Weaver

Senior "Belief Crafter"
      Realtime UK

https://www.artstation.com/artist/weaver

Comment

Originally posted by DaveKW View Post
        Are you using Normal maps? In our tests tx'ing those kills render time.
        Make sure filtering for those maps is active.
        As Rado was suggesting, if it was off it'd force the loading of the highest-sized mip level, which could slow down rendering.
        This is of course also valid for jameshon1000 's bitmap loaders (which should also be VrayHDRI loaders, exclusively.).
        Lele
        ----------------------

Disclaimer:
        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Filtering is always default, and we always leave the blur value at 1. It's more about CPU throttling, if we tx Normal maps the CPU usage drops quite a bit.
          David Weaver

Senior "Belief Crafter"
          Realtime UK

Comment

Originally posted by DaveKW View Post
            Filtering is always default, and we always leave the blur value at 1. It's more about CPU throttling, if we tx Normal maps the CPU usage drops quite a bit.
            Dave, that's gold.
            We'll look into this on our side, but if you had a piece of scene which showed this behaviour, we'd be very glad to receive it (me, support, Vlado. how you please.)!
            Lele
            ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Unfortunately it isn't 100% reproducible. When we've had throttling in the past, we went back to using tif's for Normal and Bump maps and that seemed to solve the problem. We haven't tx'd them since and we've never had any issues.
              David Weaver

Senior "Belief Crafter"
              Realtime UK

Comment

Thanks LeLe and Dave,

Where can I find the offline converter ^LeLe^ provided? Also I'm not sure which filtering should I activate, there seems to be a few boxes which are related to filtering.
                I had include a print screen of the VRayHDRI I'm using.

For more information, my textures are exported from painter (8 bit tiff 1xx UDIMs) and convert everything into .tx.

Last edited by jameshon1000; 30-07-2019, 05:35 AM.

Comment

Here's the offline one.
                  Your settings look good, should you get more measurable slowdowns, we'd of course be keen on seeing a scene which exhibited it.
                  p.s.: .tx files will go into the texture cache (last page of the v-ray settings), so ensure it's set to either big enough, or 0.
                  Attached Files
                  Lele
                  ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Thanks for the script. I will try to investigate a bit more before packing a scene for you.

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
                      Here's the offline one.
                      Your settings look good, should you get more measurable slowdowns, we'd of course be keen on seeing a scene which exhibited it.
                      p.s.: .tx files will go into the texture cache (last page of the v-ray settings), so ensure it's set to either big enough, or 0.
                      Sorry to hijack this thread, but were exactly are these converted .tx files are saved? I couldnt find something like a location in the vray settings

Comment

The ones made by our scripts are saved side-by-side with the original files.
                        The ones which go in the texture cache mentioned above are in RAM.
                        Lele
                        ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Ok, thx for clarification

Comment

I hope it is ok, to write here even though its not 100% topic.
                            Reading all this .tx stuff here, got me interested, as I never tried this before.

I just ran a test, using a pretty normal scene, converted the textures to .tx and bitmaps to vray hdri, using the vray in-built script and hit render.

I activated memory tracking to compare the results between "normal" jpgs and max bitmap loader and .tx using vray hdri, and memory tracking showed higher memory usage on the .tx scene than on the normal:

normal jpg, 3dsmax bitmap loader
                            Bitmap 803,49 MiB
                            Bucket image sampler 260,62 MiB
                            Dynamic geometry 2,94 GiB
                            GI 268,95 MiB
                            Lights 96,90 MiB
                            Misc. 1,58 GiB
                            Misc. geometry < 1 MiB
                            Static geometry 2,89 GiB
                            VFB 48,28 MiB
                            Frame startup 2,39 GiB
                            Frame total 8,85 GiB
                            .tx with vray hdri
                            Bitmap 828,99 MiB
                            Bucket image sampler 257,43 MiB
                            Dynamic geometry 2,94 GiB
                            GI 270,69 MiB
                            Lights 96,90 MiB
                            Misc. 1,57 GiB
                            Misc. geometry < 1 MiB
                            Static geometry 2,89 GiB
                            Tiled bitmap 1,36 GiB
                            VFB 49,30 MiB
                            Frame startup 3,78 GiB
                            Frame total 10,23 GiB
                            The frame rendering times, were pretty close 1m 17s to 1m 21s.
                            I then compared ram usage via task manager, and there i got a totally different result. Normal jpg --> 36gb ram and .tx + vray hdri --> 26gb ram. This is really not bad, but I thought that you could save more ram and more render time, because many of our textures are pretty high res.

Is there maybe more to keep in mind?

Comment

What's to consider is here:
                              https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...usage-in-v-ray

When all is said and done, however, it'll be down to the view point, and if it allows for the loading of smaller atlases, rather than bigger ones.
                              Try it on a scene which has far away, yet detailed, environments, and the difference may be bigger.
                              If the subject's close to the camera, then perhaps the savings will be smaller.
                              Last edited by ^Lele^; 07-08-2019, 01:47 AM.
                              Lele
                              ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Working...
                              X