Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

convert all texture to .tx format makes the render slower...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I've read the guide regarding tiled textures. I then changed all bitmaps back to blur 1.0, cause I got many which got a lower value, and this would load the higher res versions of the texture when I got the guide right.
    Strangely the ram usage has gone up to 36gb just like the non optimized version and rendering time also hasnt changed.

The scene I'm using got pretty much assets with "highres" textures, which got quite a distance to the camera.

That particular scene I'm testing here, is the same I've sent to chaosgroup regarding the "network proxy render error". Maybe if you want you could take a look at it (in this version I havent touched the maps, all 3ds bitmaps and jpgs/tifs/pngs).

Comment

Originally posted by dreidesign View Post
      Ok, I've read the guide regarding tiled textures. I then changed all bitmaps back to blur 1.0, cause I got many which got a lower value, and this would load the higher res versions of the texture when I got the guide right.
      Strangely the ram usage has gone up to 36gb just like the non optimized version and rendering time also hasnt changed.

The scene I'm using got pretty much assets with "highres" textures, which got quite a distance to the camera.

That particular scene I'm testing here, is the same I've sent to chaosgroup regarding the "network proxy render error". Maybe if you want you could take a look at it (in this version I havent touched the maps, all 3ds bitmaps and jpgs/tifs/pngs).
      Will poke support about it and test it myself!
      Lele
      Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
      ----------------------
      emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
      The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

We do not track the memory usage for the 3ds Max Bitmap textures - those are created by 3ds Max so the memory usage that we are showing in that case *excludes* the bitmap memory. You could compare VRayHDRI with JPG and with .tx files instead - those are both handled by V-Ray. Or you could compare the "Commit size" memory for 3dsmax.exe in the task manager (but be sure to restart 3ds Max between the tests to make sure the 3ds Max Bitmaps are not staying in memory).

Best regards,
        Vlado
        Last edited by vlado; 07-08-2019, 06:52 AM.
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

^Lele^
          Great, thx.

vlado
          Ok, thx for the clarification. Maybe I will do another test just with vray hdri and jpg.

Comment

I used LeLe's tx maker and got similar result as dreidesign, saved a lot of ram but no render time decrease.
            Last edited by jameshon1000; 15-08-2019, 03:46 AM.

Comment

Was this a an artificial test, or a production scene?
              Lele
              ----------------------

Disclaimer:
              The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

This is a production scene which we are now working on.

Comment

Nice to hear, ty.
                  Lele
                  ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Is there a script to convert 3ds max bitmaps to vrayhdris?
                    A lot of bought models still use the normal bitmap map and it would be tedious task to change them all...
                    Add Your Light LogoCheck out my tutorials, assets, free samples and weekly newsletter:
                    www.AddYourLight.com
                    Always looking to learn, become better and serve better.

Comment

The script on RMC which has "VRayHDRI" in it does that.
                      Optionally, it will also convert the textures to .tx and relink them with their own gamma (i.e. safer than doing it by hand.).

Click image for larger version

Name:	rmc.png
Views:	331
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	1045748
                      Lele
                      ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
                        The script on RMC which has "VRayHDRI" in it does that.
                        Optionally, it will also convert the textures to .tx and relink them with their own gamma (i.e. safer than doing it by hand.).

Click image for larger version

Name:	rmc.png
Views:	331
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	1045748
                        I just found that if I already have VrayBitmaps, and do "Convert bitmaps to tiled EXR/TX', it's covert my maps, but not replace old jpg/tiff files with new tx file. How it can be fixed?

Comment

If the .tx files are side-by-side with the originals (i.e. same folder, same filename), i have a script that may help.
                          Otherwise, we'd have to modify the script to cater for the specific case.
                          Lele
                          ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
                            If the .tx files are side-by-side with the originals (i.e. same folder, same filename), i have a script that may help.
                            Otherwise, we'd have to modify the script to cater for the specific case.
                            can you share this script ? yes, it's in the same folder that original files, because it converted with vray's converter

Comment

Here they are.

p.s.: poke me privately (pm, email) should anything not work as intended, and i'll see what i can do.
                              Lele
                              ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

I have mentioned this before, but if your assets are on a networked drive this may be the bottleneck with .tx files. Normal birmaps are read into memory all at once ( I believe VRayBitmap at least delays this until first use in the scene). Tx files are read per tile as needed. With a net render this can put a lot of stress on the network and server. There is overhead too smaller reads as well.

We actively push our tx textures to each render node using GoodSync. This makes big speed difference here.

Things will be scene dependent.

My general rule is, if I need to save memory I use tx files. Otherwise I don’t. I never seem to see much if any speed improvement.
                                Last edited by Joelaff; 10-10-2021, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X