Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ambient and Reflection Occlusion

Hi,

I worked a bit on the ambient occlusion shader from the vray sdk and did some enhancements to it. This is what the vraydirt shader from the sdk does:

I added the possibility to do reflection occlusion. So you can get something like this:

Additionally I added the an environment map slot. So you can sample an environment map.

If used with reflection occlusion, you get fake glossy reflections. Here also an image with real glossy reflection and raydepth 1 for comparison.

As you can see the render time for a simple scene like this isn't much shorter. But I expect that it's faster for more complex scenes.

You can use the Reflection Occlusion Map as a mask for another map. So you can "preblur" the environment map. This is kind of fast glossy reflection fake:

Here's the ui as it is at the moment:

Tell me what you think of it.

We already used the shader for some animations in HD. We used it for a car interior. You can have a look here:
    bclass

Best regards,

Dieter Morgenroth
    --------
    visit my developer blog

Looking good Is it going to be comparable to the mentalray version?

Colin

Comment

How can we get hold of this dirt shader ?

Colin

Comment

Vraydirt will be part of the 1.5 release. They still are doing changes to the vray sdk, so my version won't work with the next vray built.

I'm exchanging code with Vlado, so i think if he likes my add-ons he might incooperate them for the release. (And probably make them more efficient)

Best regards,

Dieter
        --------
        visit my developer blog

Comment

ambient occlusion has been high on my wish list for a while. thanks for adding that. I can't wait for 1.5!

V Miller

Comment

Nice to see more people working with the VraySDK.
            I think we will see much more custom stuff after the 1.5 release.

Would it be possible to include an "exclude" button to the dirtshader?
            So that certain objects do not affect the shading?

Looking forward too... nice!
            Sascha Geddert
            www.geddart.de

Comment

looks great. been looking for a reflection occlusion forever and a day now. Evevrytime I try to explain what it does, i get strange looks. I think the ui needs a little work though...

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Holy $hit, great job on the video!!

Oh yea the mat is cool to

-dave
                Cheers,
                -dave
                â–  ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X â–  ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX â–  ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX â–  GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX â–  ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k â– 

Comment

That video. Great camera work Do you have more video material to show?
                  You can contact StudioGijs for 3D visualization and 3D modeling related services and on-site training.

Comment

dimo I love it! Especialy this zooming into leather chair detail, it's awesome!
                    Luke Szeflinski
                    :: www.lukx.com cgi

Comment

Originally posted by lukx
                      dimo I love it! Especialy this zooming into leather chair detail, it's awesome!
                      yeah thats my favorite part too. Would like too see some more info about it. behind the scenes and stuff.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Dimo... it is great that you are playing the the SDK... but personally I think the AO and RO are a waist of time when it comes to Vray. Doing a straight HDRI lighting of that scene would be done just as fast (if not faster), plus the light (and reflections) could bounce around. AO, and RO are used by Renderman people that don't have the luxury of fast raytracing. Out of curiousitym why not render your scene with the HDRI in the Envionement and relfection slot, and tell me what happens in terms of rendering times.

BTW... if you want controls over the individual elements in your compositor, the G-buffer stuff in Vray is REALLY powerful...

Comment

Ive been jonesing for a RO shader to use for faking glossy reflections. Straight reflections are fast enough your right.

Comment

great...want it...
                            but the UI needs to be fixed.
                            and render times seem quite slow to me...it really shouldn't be slower than mental ray.
                            Marc Lorenz
                            ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
                            www.marclorenz.com
                            www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Comment

Originally posted by percydaman
                              Ive been jonesing for a RO shader to use for faking glossy reflections. Straight reflections are fast enough your right.
                              Based on those rendertimes, it seems that the hit you would take from doing a his RO or a Glossy reflections would be about the same.

Comment

Working...
                              X