AO shader ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vance3d
    agree with you on mr antialiasing. you ever use the ao shader with any falloff shaders? you can get some interesting effects.

V Miller
    ive never tried that. to be honest ive never used many of the mr shaders. Got any test renders with AO with falloff out of interest. PLus have u used the reflective AO bit? Not wanting to turn this into a mr thread
    just curious really.
    Freelance TD/Generalist
    http://www.vanilla-box.co.uk

Comment

I'll have to see if my client will release any of the stuff that I used the mr ao shader on. As for reflection occlusion no I've never used that. I mostly have used ao as a lighting/shadowing pass for 3d compositing.

V Miller

Comment

is it just me or does it seem that alot of people have a misconception that AO has something to do with lights. for example the quick work around with the dome light. when i read the white papers on AO i got the impression that AO calculates the closeness of geometry to itself and shades it accordingly. hence why a dirtmap is exactly the same as a real AO shader. dirtreyes by infographica was cool.

---------------------------------------------------
        MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
        stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

nope Elf...it´s not just you...it seems ppl just dont really know what AO is actually about hehehe...

It does not really calculate the distance to itself. It calculates EXACTLY what the name states...Occlusion...It simply checks for a given Min/Max Distance if the spot on the geometry is occluded by other geometry or if it can "see" the environment...It does that with many samples...and the more samples are occluded the darker the pixel...basically...

Greetings,
          Thorsten

Comment

I think the problem is that people know that a dome light will produce the same look, only in a rendered frame, so they assume its all light based (and because of the word ambient in the name). If they just got it into their head that it's a dirt MAP used to tint\blend\shade geometry, there wouldn't be all this misconception. And yes, Dirtyreyes was cool, but it was also insanely slow Still, until vray gets its own ao shader\map, one can still use quick dirt, or pre-bake your occlusion textures through RTT and a dome light to get the static textures simulating the effect.
            Signing out,
            Christian

Comment

yes...i meant "dirt map" .....okay okay...no ao anymore..

Comment

Originally posted by trixian
                Still, until vray gets its own ao shader\map, one can still use quick dirt, or pre-bake your occlusion textures through RTT and a dome light to get the static textures simulating the effect.
                mental ray is still a viable option. max 7 sees the AO shader, in 6 I had to convert an xsi shader, and edit the mr files. Much easier to do now, plus you dont need any major scene changes, just use the overide material.
                Freelance TD/Generalist
                http://www.vanilla-box.co.uk

Comment

For those who are confused about the whole AO/Dirtmap in 3DSmaxblargy read this

http://www.cg-academy.net/pages/free...ion_shader.htm

or

http://www.ozgurustundag.com/gallery...rial_Page1.htm

Colin

Comment

Cheers GALACTUS. It's beginning to make sense now! Second link is a great tutorial - nice and easy to follow.
                    -Andrew

Andrew Martin Visualisation

Comment

Working...
                    X