V-Ray standalone 64bits + MAYA + OS X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vlado, a few standalone questions.

Hi Vlado, you spoke to our IT people last week about the 25-node render farm we're building, and we have some questions about the standalone:
    1) Does the beta have all the features of 1.4x? What features are missing?
    2) What render managers have you tested it with? LSF?
    3) What will the 64-bit version cost? About the same as the Max version?
    4) Is the licensing per CPU, per machine, per 10 machines...? If we have machines with 2 dual-core processors, does it use all 4 cores?
    5) Does it take advantage of SSE-3 and Hyperthreading?
    6) I guess it's running on WinX-64 and 2003 Server 64-bit?
    Thank you for your answers and for a great product.
    Alain Blanchette
    www.pixistudio.com

Comment

I also have some questions about the maya version:

We would like to use it for a tv show were in the process of beginning late this year. If we can't get vray for maya by then, then we will be forced to use mentalray.

So my question is: Will there be a useable version sometime this year? beta or otherwise?

Thanks,

Shane

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

ive got a question about your 25 computer render farm. usually windows has its 10 computer limit for how many computers can log onto one system in one go. im sure windows server has a better limit and would be the place all data is stored. whats its limit?

---------------------------------------------------
        MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
        stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Da_elf
          ive got a question about your 25 computer render farm. usually windows has its 10 computer limit for how many computers can log onto one system in one go. im sure windows server has a better limit and would be the place all data is stored. whats its limit?
          While Windows XP is limited to 10 connections, Windows
          Server is limited by how many client licenses you buy for it. The limit is not a limit in the design, just a licensing scheme.
          Torgeir Holm | www.netronfilm.com

Comment

how about XP64?? hehe

MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with

Comment

Aneurisma:
              I win I win I win I win...heheh just kidding
              Thanks for being so gracious in defeat

percydaman:
              Hehehe yeah their marketing scams...ahh i mean schemes are so outragous I even made a thread about them on Cgtalk a couple of years ago. Have a read its quite hilarious.
              http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=64182
              Although the link to the mac site, isnt the one that the thread was originally about, they still do have some rather funny stuff in there.
              And i quote
              "The eMac has a thunderous stereo system with 18 watts of resonant, digitally amplified sound. Compare that to the tinny “sound systems” typically found on PCs."
              18 watts huh, last time I checked even the cheapest PC speakers had 50watts.

Note: Im not bashing mac's just their crazy crazy marketing.

Comment

hehe 18 watts...that almost sounds like either a type or a joke. "hmmm, lets see how many people believe us when we say it has a massive 18 watts..." The average person might be a little suspicious of a number like 18 watts, but might just give them the benefit of the doubt...lol

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

the 'tinny' part bugs me...
                  LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
                  HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
                  Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

just got this news letter from boxx i thought id share with you
                    http://www.digitalproducer.com/artic...e.jsp?id=32951

Comment

Originally posted by vlado
                      Originally posted by andrius
                      will Vray for Maya support nurbs????
                      Yes. Currently, we do support trimmed NURBS but they are tesselated to static geometry. The next step would be to add support for dynamic geometry, as with the subdivision surfaces.

Best regards,
                      Vlado
                      will the stand alone ever be able to make the bridge to apps like pro/E or solidworks? i would assume a Rhino extention would be easier?

i was really suprised to see that maxwell was doing a plugin for solidworks and supposedly rhino 4.0 will have brazil r/s bundled.

i was talking with PTC (pro/e developers) the otherday and they said that traditionally they didnt see a large desire to have rendering capabilities on par with something like vray because the engineers didnt request it. Now that PTC is aiming thier software more at both designers and engineers, marketing may be more involved in the output of the app, which means a nice render engine would be ideal. just a thought.

Right now im basically using vray as a $5k stand alone render ($4k for max), it would be great to be able to drop the max part as the only reason to use it for product design is the visualization.

Comment

well everything needed to render from any app with the standalone would be a scene exporter i think (from playing with the standalone in the sdk).

A Problem would be creating and applying materials tho i assume.

Thorsten

Comment

...as long as the standalone doesn't change the geometry from surfaces/solids to polys. thats where apps like pro/e differ, i would assume applying vRay to other 'similar' apps like maya/xsi/lightwave would be straightforward (if not alot of work) while solid and surface modelers would be more difficult.
                          but thats all assumption, i have no idea what goes into coding something so complex.

Comment

Pro/e, Soildworks, Rhino etc. all use mesh to represent the shaded model.

-Shane

Comment

if your talking about the way the app displays the model in the viewport, its still a different issue then importing the geometry into a stand alone app and rendering it (or having vray run in pro/e). basically i hope to be able to render pro/e surfaces in vray one day without having to convert them to a polygon mesh.
                              right now i have to rely on exporting stls out of pro/e and importing into max, the outcome is usually ok, but never great.
                              max handles iges poorly exept with the help of the powertrans plugin and i even found that cumbersome.

Comment

The best suggestion i can give here is to use npowersoftwares importerplugins. never saw anything handling solids/surface better then they do. We use it to import catia parts into Max and it works great.

www.npowersoftware.com

Thorsten

Comment

Working...
                                X