No announcement yet.

Dome light again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are talking about diffuse lightning and not reflections.

anyway.. when vlado is adding a feature (for vray1.49.99.123b? gg ) then let's give him a hint what we would need.

So a automaticaly downsampling would be nice, but also ..and this is the more interresting feature request.. a dynamic range scaling with a threshold.

something like that:
    www.cgtechniques.com | http://www.hdrlabs.com - home of hdri knowledge

Comment

Originally posted by Dschaga
      The hype is about hdri files, and they are used for much more then just lighting, But for sure they don't have to be very large if you only use them for lighting.

/Thomas
      www.suurland.com
      www.cg-source.com
      www.hdri-locations.com

Comment

So a automaticaly downsampling would be nice, but also ..and this is the more interresting feature request.. a dynamic range scaling with a threshold.
        Nice idea, but something like that should be done in an HDRI editing program and not in a shader IMHO. The new Photoshop can do that very well.

Comment

Originally posted by suurland
          The hype is about hdri files, and they are used for much more then just lighting, But for sure they don't have to be very large if you only use them for lighting.

/Thomas
          Hold on... Lighting is represented in Diffuse and Specular. Specular lighting is critical otherwise you get nothing but a boaring flat matte world that you see so often in newbie GI lighting.

Comment

sure!
            I still personal think that even a 5000px spherical image is far to big and brings the same as a good 2000x1000px spherical map.

anyway ..with few steps you can enhance any poor hdr to a hdr with this dynamic range ...cpnichols what value do you get?
            http://www.cgtechniques.com/~upload/..._cpnichols.rar
            www.cgtechniques.com | http://www.hdrlabs.com - home of hdri knowledge

Comment

Hold on... Lighting is represented in Diffuse and Specular. Specular lighting is critical
              I'm certainly no expert, but I don't believe there is really such thing as "specular" lighting. Specular lighting effects are really just reflections.

Comment

By the way, people keep asking about when the HDRI mapping will become part of the featureset. Well, I don't have an inside line on what Vlado's up to -- but his renders' framestamp says 1.47.06.

Comment

Originally posted by davision
                  I'm certainly no expert, but I don't believe there is really such thing as "specular" lighting. Specular lighting effects are really just reflections.
                  When I say specular I mean reflection. It is all about reflection. Even diffuse lighting is about reflection. But reflecting an HDRI vs a LDRI is the key, as you will not get the specular effect from the reflection without it, especially when dealing with fresnel.

Comment

Here is the exact Debevec's Sky probe: (62Mb)

http://graphicslab.ict.usc.edu/skyprobes/skyprobes.zip

and the explanation page:

http://graphicslab.ict.usc.edu/skyprobes/

Have fun with noise...
                    Gaël

Comment

wonderful...i waited a long time for that feature. i often use domelights for exterior. but working with solid colours for the light limited the effect.

Comment

thank you so much for this.

i use domelights in all animation projects and this is the best new feature ever.
                        Reflect, repent and reboot.
                        Order shall return.

Comment

MmMm Damn nice! Dreaming I can use this a lot earleir, than other ppl around But.... I'm still dreaming
                          I just can't seem to trust myself
                          So what chance does that leave, for anyone else?
                          ---------------------------------------------------------
                          CG Artist

Comment

Here is a small animation with the sky probes from the site of Paul Debevec. I had to blend the different skies to make the animation a bit longer, I suppose it would have looked much better if the skies were in 1-minute intervals

http://www.spot3d.com/vray/images/st...s/skyprobe.avi (5 MB)

Best regards,
                            Vlado
                            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Congratulations Vlado !
                              It's absolutly good !
                              Gaël

Comment

Vlado, this looks great. I cant wait to test this out.
                                Now all we need is an hdri camera that is cheap!
                                Chris Jackson
                                Shiftmedia
                                www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Working...
                                X