Dome light again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brilliant Vlado!

would it be possible for you to post the scene so we could see how it was set up?

Comment

Very nice! Will we have any control over the area shadows? Right now they look a little too sharp.
      Eric Boer
      Dev

Comment

Originally posted by RErender
        Very nice! Will we have any control over the area shadows? Right now they look a little too sharp.
        Blur the hdri map would probably do it.

/Thomas
        www.suurland.com
        www.cg-source.com
        www.hdri-locations.com

Comment

Hi vlado,

Are you also adding this feature to regular vraylights? I would like to map an avi to a vraylight, to simulate a tv screen.
          Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

Comment

Originally posted by flipside
            Hi vlado,

Are you also adding this feature to regular vraylights? I would like to map an avi to a vraylight, to simulate a tv screen.
            That would be nice!
            Another hack to make the regular vraylights look like it emit maps is to put a mapped plane (self illuminated) or a VrayLightMtl behind the vray lights and set it to skylight portal...
            vertex wrangler

Comment

Wouldn't that be the same as just using only the mapped plane, with output of the bitmap to for example 5? That's what I'm doing now, but then all tha light is GI light, no raytraced area shadows.
              Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

Comment

Ok I just tried it, works very well!

Comment

It looks great - can't wait to try it either.
                  LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
                  HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
                  Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

@Vlado: Interesting rendering. Also nice to see how rendertimes differ between high-contrast and low-contrast images. That's as expected and nothing new, but it's been a long time since I've seen this so explicitely.
                    Thanks for that preview.

To get back to the discussion about the resolution of HDRI's: Isn't the prurpose of very large HDRI's that you can use them for both lighting and as a background that doesn't blur too much? So far most HDRI's I have seen were too small and just looked unnaturally blured when used as a background in the render (some people want to use the images as both background 'environment' and light source)

In this respect they make sense I think. For pure lighting it's probably faster to use a low-res version. If the shader would do an automatic (user adjustable) downsampling before starting the render it would be actually very convenient and a nice time saver, as it would eliminate the need to handle two separate texture files (the high-res and the low-res version) and do the downsampling manually (in HDRShop or Photoshop or whatever).

Stefan
                    Stefan Kubicek
                    www.keyvis.at

Comment

For the purposes of importance sampling, the dome light presamples the HDRI to a specified resolution... so that would eliminate the need for a separate blurred version of the map.

Best regards,
                      Vlado
                      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Hi, qafl , the link is broken. could you post again the link? thanks.

Comment

Any idea of the timescale for getting this HDRI Domelight feature included in Vray? I can see plenty of opportunity for using this right now.

How long?
                          Kind Regards,
                          Richard Birket
                          ----------------------------------->
                          http://www.blinkimage.com

----------------------------------->

Comment

Working...
                          X