Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UPDATED BENCHMARK (ITS FASTER I PROMISE)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• diff between
    4200 and 4400
    4600 and 4800
    is the l2 cache
    4200 and 4600 512kb l2cache
    4400 and 4800 1mb l2 cache
    interesting that vray does not take care of the l2 cache

Comment

• interesting that vray does not take care of the l2 cache
      Any particular reason why it should?
      www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

• the main reason they are so close is they both have the same stock MHZ.. the ONLY difference is the L2 cache. And this only really has a big affect in games.. not rendering.. so if you ONLY render get the 4200.

Also to knock almost a second of your render time you would have to have overclocked more than 200mhz.. thats not enough.. or there was just something wrong with the first render time. 200mhz would only see maybe 10-20 seconds difference... not almost a minute.

Also the 4400 can go much higher than you overclock attempt but it does require more than just changing a jumper settings. It requires a good motherboard and a good knowledge of all the bios settings. The DFI is THE BEST overclocking board around (its what i have) so if you plan on overclocking get the DFI and read up on ALL its options before attempting an OVER clock.. cause you have to change a fair few things but its worth it.
        I clock my previous single core athlon 3000+ from 1.8ghz standard up to 2.6ghz .. with only a few degress temp rise

Comment

• This is interesting. Because there's a significant price difference. Both of the above results support this. This will save me some bucks on my next purchase. Ive posted the specs here:
          http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/phpB...57c832378e5da9

I think I''ll switch to a 4600 I thought the bigger cache would be better. I'd appreciate any feedback.

Comment

• yeah i certainly wouldnt go for the 4800, not enough bang for your extra buck. And the difference of 200mhz doesnt make that much of a difference in render times.. nothing that you cant make up in a simple OC

Comment

• Good news for everyone. Prices are dropping on the FX chips see link:
              http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29095

This seems to be reflected in the prices I've been quoted $355 down from $400 on the 4200 and $630 on the 4800 down from $787.

Comment

• I have just finished tweaking a new station :

2 x LV XEON 2.4 @ 3.55Ghz (200 euros for both on Ebay)
                ASUS PC-DL (137euros " ")
                1Gb RAM @ 222Mhz 2-5-3-3 (145euros " ")

Comment

• the scene renders with 1gig?
                  i'm surprised
                  pretty fast, too
                  btw: good price for the 2 xeons - i guess someone has sold their server?
                  is that ddr ram? if yes, my 1 gig of corsair valueselect ram (2, 3, 3, 6) costs 80€ (new)
                  the speed difference between cl2 and cl3 is 5% at best, so i would go for 2 gigs of cheaper ram if money is a factor

Comment

• Originally posted by mike.edel
                    the scene renders with 1gig?
                    i'm surprised
                    pretty fast, too
                    btw: good price for the 2 xeons - i guess someone has sold their server?
                    is that ddr ram? if yes, my 1 gig of corsair valueselect ram (2, 3, 3, 6) costs 80€ (new)
                    the speed difference between cl2 and cl3 is 5% at best, so i would go for 2 gigs of cheaper ram if money is a factor
                    of course it renders with 1Gb... it would render with 256Mb too...

Its pretty fast because the memory runs at 222Mhz with this timming and the FSB 1:1 gives 890Mhz wich is faster than Nocona's FSB...

Your memory cant run at this speed. Mine can do because its PC4400 cas 2.5 wich means that it supports up to 275Mhz...

Comment

• ic, didnt pay close attention to the memory clock speed
                      the valueselect won't overclock at all (normal speed 200mhz) according to a review i've got, but i was primarily interested in getting 2 gigs (and stability) rather than in overclocking potential

Comment

• I must admitt I love our new Opteron stations. And our Opterons love overclocking.

2x Opteron 265 OC from 1800 to 2250MHz. After Opteron pricedrop it is very easy to build yourself small renderfarm

neoVISUAL

Comment

• NeoVisual

Can you describe your setup? Motherboard, powersupply, memory, etc. Those numbers are really impressive!

Comment

• NeoVisual

Can you describe your setup? Motherboard, powersupply, memory, etc. Those numbers are really impressive!
                            That's an amazing time. Please post anything you can on your system config. I'm condidering a dual 265 rig and would love to hear yours. I'm curious about yourr MB and the case you stuck it in as it seems most dual opteron boards are extended atx (I'm considering the Asus K8-DL which is just above a standard atx size so it may fit in a regular case). Related to this, how easy was it to OC these things, as most server MB's are rather limited for OC'ing utilites.

You can't get one of the top times for this benchmark and not give up a few system specs! Thanks.
                            www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

• Hello All !
                              Just returned from vacation, sorry for long response. Board is standard MSI dual Opteron - better overclocking options and more goodies than similar Asus board, case something ordinary from Asus. Just have to take care about PSU.

Opterons are OC'd via BIOS - from 1800 to 2250MHz. Works fine without voltage increase - machine itself produces a lot of heat, so why bother with more heat and noise.

After some month of doing rendering jobs I must admitt it is nearly twice as fast as our X2 machines. Not to mention older P4's or recent P4 Dualcore - Intel is going to recycle bin.

Comment

• Is that setup completely stable? when I overclocked, I started getting machine_check_errors...which most of the time weren't a problem, but sometimes led to bsod.
                                Patrick Macdonald
                                Lighting TD : http://reformstudios.com Developer of "Mission Control", the spreadsheet editor for 3ds Max http://reformstudios.com/mission-control-for-3ds-max/

Comment

Working...
                                X