No announcement yet.

Trees...again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow...if you get a good enough varied library of plane trees, then itll work great 90% of the time.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Originally posted by percydaman
      wow...if you get a good enough varied library of plane trees, then itll work great 90% of the time.
      Our library is based on poly counts, starting from 35 and up.
      All the shrubs are made exactly the same way, except no trunk.
      Also, we used Standard Mat. for the opacity part. everything else vray mat.

The fan palm shrubs (1st pic, bottom left) have the planes horizontal
      like the palm on the far right.

If you look at the last 2 images, you can just make out the fins on the sunny side of the trees. This is not as apparent on palm-type trees.
      Needs more cowbell

Comment

some old tests i did showed that opacity maps with standard material were not that much slower than a vray mat in normal circumstances. however once you turn on GI vray mat was twice as fast. i dont know how it is now though.

---------------------------------------------------
        MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
        stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

olitech

you need to start selling those mate

Comment

I agree with silicon then you can answer people who ask you for trouble hehehe.(it's a joke)
            Your trees are pretty cool!
            =:-/
            Laurent

Comment

They do look great, I'd buy them!
              Chris
              The Revitlution

Comment

Olitech - what are those trees? Where do you get them, or did you make them yourself?? Thanks.

Regards PEter.

Comment

wow...thanks guys. surprising reactions.
                  guess i've got a winter-after-work-project now!

lol! Peter, i think you're going to have to read from the top...!
                  btw, how's things in steeltown?
                  Needs more cowbell

Comment

olitech those are very cool trees, i'll buy them as soon as you sell them
                    http://www.3dvision.co.il

Comment

me too.... when? how much?

Comment

cheap
                        Needs more cowbell

Comment

I don't have time to read posts lol

gotta get back to my crashing renders and start them up again.

Steeltown - is nice and smoggy, just the way I like it. Just don't mention the Ti-Cats - dooah!

How about a couple of cases of Lakeport for those trees lol.

Awesome trees, again.

Regards Peter.

Comment

Da Elf,
                            i forgot why i used standard mat. for the plane trees before, but now i remember: we were having problems with vray opacity trees and distance fog....also with matting for some reason
                            Needs more cowbell

Comment

Sorry to bring this back up, but I was curious about the POLY vs OPACITY issue. so I did a small sample, and the biggest thing that was apparent was the quality of the shadows between the two.

This example is just using the Fern maps included with Max. The Poly object (Left) was created as a flat object in SketchUp, tracing the opacity map used on the Opacity object, and brought into Max; and instance rotated same as the Opacity object (Right).

The Poly object did seem to process a bit faster, I'm not sure which shadow version I like better tho, I guess it would depend on the scene and actual model used. Lighting was just a single VRay Light.

Comment

Here's a better image sample with times as well.

Polygon Object - 1m22s

Opacity Object - 3m05s

One VRay light, VRay plan, no GI

Comment

Working...
                                X