Velvet...Vlado?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Velvet...Vlado?

I have spent 3 days trying to reproduce a realistic velvet material.
    I have try everything : very small displacement, glossy reflection, anisotropy etc.. and nothing can realy produce the same effect than real velvet.

I know the falloff map technic in the diffuse slot BUT this is not a physicaly correct way to go.

I have read that Final Render as a special shader for this kind of micro fibers material so I think I am right : this is impossible to reproduce a realistic velvet without the help of a renderer side peace of code.
    am I right?

If not I would realy appriceate that Vlado gives us his theorical approch of this material. I mean the way to do it with the existing Vray material, displacement etc...

Can you show some references.

Best regards,
    nikki Candelero
    .:: FREE Your MINDs, LIVE Your IDEAS ::.

Comment

Hi n6,

Have you seen this thread?

http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/phpB...570&highlight=

Dan
      Dan Brew

Comment

ok. Here is what I m trying to reproduce :

And here is what I can get : as you can see the result is not very realistic for the velvet :

Comment

masha are you there???
          =:-/
          Laurent

Comment

I think you need a specular map with those flowers as well with lots of glossy effect.

Best regards,
            nikki Candelero
            .:: FREE Your MINDs, LIVE Your IDEAS ::.

Comment

I hope Masha is flying to Beverly Hills to get her chin done.

You might play with some fall off maps in the reflection and glossiness slots
              Eric Boer
              Dev

Comment

Try a Perpendicular/Parallel falloff map in Diffuse with the top color set to Blue and bottom set to a whitish color.
                LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
                HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
                Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

Originally posted by jujubee
                  Try a Perpendicular/Parallel falloff map in Diffuse with the top color set to Blue and bottom set to a whitish color.
                  did you read my first post?

Comment

Yeah...but most often in this business....if it looks right, it is right!!!
                    -----Dwayne D. Ellis-----

Comment

The material you are showing is not velvet. But falloff maps is the way to go here. Nothing we do is "physically accurate".

Comment

Originally posted by Dynedain
                        The material you are showing is not velvet. But falloff maps is the way to go here. Nothing we do is "physically accurate".
                        I know... but putting a falloff map in the diffuse slot looks like tto me like using a texture to fake reflections.

Comment

so why dont u use glossy reflections?with a ward material?
                          Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
                          nuno@ene-digital.com
                          00351 917593145

Comment

damn...
                            I have allready try it! But the result isnt here...
                            Even with different fallof map fresnel perpendicular/paralele, different IOR index : nothin gives a true and accurate velvet.

And if Final Render has a specific shader for "micro fibers", well there may be a good reason.

Comment

If you think about velvet, it really is a glossy reflective material with many fine fibers. It would be equivalent to very fine hairs wihch is something you would not want to render due to time.

Only other solution I could think of is to play around with anistropy values while having a falloff in glossy reflections.
                              LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
                              HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
                              Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X