Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• urgent help needed!

Hey guys,

I'm currently working on an animation of an architectural scene. When I set the irradience map to "medium or high - animation" I get glowing edges. Now I did a search and I realised its blurring my GI, so I checked the box "check sample visibility". This still doesn't fix it, the only thing in my scene thats animated is the camera.

Can i use non-animated irradiance map settings?

Thanks for your help, I need to set this away tonight.

Looks like the dreaded blur GI setting again. Turn it to 0 and use the flythrough tutorial with saved irmap and light cache.

Comment

Thanks, I was concerned that not blurring the GI would have negative effects. Is this not the case?

Comment

As I understand it, the animation presets are optimized for animations with moving objects, and blur GI helps reduce flickering in those scenes.

But in architectural animations where only the camera is moving and all geometry is still, you don't do this. Use the same settings you would for a still image, but first do an lighting pass, like every 10th frame, using multi-frame incremental. Then do your animation pass. This will "bake" the lighting solution and noise so that it doesn't flicker or crawl in the animation. Chris Nichol's exteriors DVD covers this stuff in depth.
        "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

Originally posted by andyp7
          Thanks, I was concerned that not blurring the GI would have negative effects. Is this not the case?
          Blurring can get you over having low samples by averaging the samples to give a smoother result which can hide artifacting. The problem as you're noticing is that if you need sharp details, the blurring destroys this and gives you the leaking effects at the corners there. I can;t see too many places that you'd use blur GI overall.

Comment

cheers guys, much appreciated

Comment

Managed to get it all rendered (3000 frames)

Looks great, thanks again for the fast replies

Some tips and tricks I learnt with doing architectural animations.

1.) Dont use sharpening filters like mitchell

2.) Adaptive subdivision seems to be better for archictectural too, seems to deal with sharp edges better

3.) Finally if anyone is doing an architectural animation in vray, allow yourself lots of extra time for testing. I think its easy to forget how much more time needs to go into preparing for an animated scene. Much more settings to tweek

Comment

Which AA filter did you find to work best?
                "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

if you use detailed textures, QMC instead of adaptive AA handles flickering better, and it's much faster with displacement.
                  noise treshold has to be reduced to 0.001 - 0.003.
                  quadratic AA filter is good.
                  Marc Lorenz
                  ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
                  www.marclorenz.com
                  www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Comment

Agreed with Quadtratic filter, that or Area is okay.

I just prefered the results with Adaptive AA rather than QMC, but time was tight and I didnt get a huge window to play with AA too much.

When the work is up on our site I will link it up for you guys to judge for yourselves.

cheers

Comment

Working...
                    X