turn off edge enhancement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by walkstar
    Is it ok to turn on detailed enhancement after rendering an irmap without it?
    Nope. Like I said in my previous post, irradiance maps computed with and without DE are different. When you render, the DE option *must* be the same as when the irradiance map was computed. Otherwise you will get a wrong result.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

could you elaborate on what you would call a 'wrong' result? artifacts and such?

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

To risk a wrong answer in this thread again, I guess the error would be multiplication of the darks. :P
        Eric Boer
        Dev

Comment

Re: turn off edge enhancement

Originally posted by vlado
          Originally posted by percydaman
          anyone know if you create an irradiance map with edge enhancement, can you then turn it off for the render? Will it cause any problems?
          Yep, it will cause problems. The irradiance maps calculated with detail enhancement and without it are quite different. If you have calculated the map with detail enhancement "on", it will contain "blank" areas to be filled with detail during the actual rendering. If you turn off DE for the final rendering, this will look very weird.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
          nuno@ene-digital.com
          00351 917593145

Comment

Originally posted by ene.xis
            anyone know if you create an irradiance map with edge enhancement, can you then turn it off for the render? Will it cause any problems?
            Yep, it will cause problems. The irradiance maps calculated with detail enhancement and without it are quite different. If you have calculated the map with detail enhancement "on", it will contain "blank" areas to be filled with detail during the actual rendering. If you turn off DE for the final rendering, this will look very weird.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            haha touche. I guess though, its not nearly that obvious. On the project, where I calced the irrad map with DE turned on, then rendered final without it, I couldn't really find anything obviously wrong. Of course these were just stills, maybe its more obvious for animations. I rendered a separate dirt pass map along with a lighting pass for it anyways, so maybe not a big deal.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Originally posted by walkstar
              Is it ok to turn on detailed enhancement after rendering an irmap without it?
              Nope. Like I said in my previous post, irradiance maps computed with and without DE are different. When you render, the DE option *must* be the same as when the irradiance map was computed. Otherwise you will get a wrong result.

Best regards,
              Vlado
              I stand corrected. So basically you have to plan on using it BEFORE you bake your IR map?

Comment

Originally posted by ene.xis

Best regards,
                Vlado
                That does not really answer the second question of what happens when you turn on DE after saving a imap calc'd without it. Obviously the imap is not going to have "holes" in it from the DE so the question is what will happen?
                Eric Boer
                Dev

Comment

The edges will be darker than they should be... but probably you won't notice it much since it will be like an AO effect.

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I had the same problem that with detail enhancement taking too long so I thought I could just turn it off at render time, even though it was used to calculate the irradience map.
                    Here's the result:

With DE turned off at render time after it was calculated beforehand:

With DE on:

Withought DE precalculated in the irr map:

So it definitely screws things up. Going to do another irr map pass withought the DE now.

Comment

Working...
                    X