Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Supermicro X7DWA-N & intel passive heatsink fitting ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

could you fit a nut on the bottom end of the mobo? Also have you considered a 3rd party cpu fan? I couldn't imagine using a fanless heatsink myself.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

I was thinking I would have to get a nut, I guess they may have missed them off the board by accident. I was also a bit concerned about running the cpus with that passive fan, so yeah. I think an after market solution would be best...more money to pay out
      Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

the latest hp i got at the office (an intel dual quad 53XX) is cooled with passive heatsinks too, and it s been working very nicely so far, but off course hp boxes are very well thought and air circulation is better then standard solutions...
        Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
        nuno@ene-digital.com
        00351 917593145

Comment

Unfortunately it's normal as it is.
          The reason is actually as much simple as stupid: because it's supposed you have to fix your heatsinks directly to the case. The backplate included in the motherboard box shouldn't be to screw up your heatsinks but only to make it possible giving at the same time some stability to the sockets avoinding motherboard blending under the heatsinks pressure.

I use liquid cooling (custom clip) so i can't help you solving the problem

EDIT: check your case mounting under the motherboard, maybe it's already designed for intel 5000 series (from woodcrest to harpertown)
          Last edited by vergefio; 19-01-2008, 09:38 AM.
          Lighting & Rendering Supervisor
          Marulli Studio

Comment

Thanks vergefio. I think you are spot on. The screws go straight into the chassis.

Im just wondering if i need spacers between the mobo and the chassis or just screw straight into the chassis.?
            Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Most server boards are chassis specific. Your board should go with the Supermicro CSE-743TQ-865 or # CSE-743T-645 see http://www.supermicro.com/products/m...00/X7DWA-N.cfm
              Passive heatsink require direct laminar airflow from specific fan(s), not just a case fan! Same for FB-DIMM which is gets hot as hell. You screw the heatsink directly to case and the back plates (shown on your pic.) works as spacers. Specific case means it has a compatible air shroud to completely cover the heatsinks and memory to direct air precisely. See pic. It should be yours. Otherwise use active heatsinks only!!!!!!!!!
              Attached Files

Comment

Oh crap. I didnt see that tower. I've already bought a different tower. I guess I will have to go for an active fan solution now.
                Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

did someone say tower??!!

---------------------------------------------------
                  MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                  stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Da_elf View Post
                    did someone say tower??!!
                    no, no, he said power, going to take some power for the active cooling.
                    Eric Boer
                    Dev

Comment

You might want to do a search in the cases sections @

http://forums.2cpu.com/

They have heaps of threads on your motherboard, and everything else related to dual cpu machines (or "rigs" as they say).

Cheers

Comment

If you're rendering on this machine, I would not use passive heat sinks. I am currently building a lower-end machine for home use, and using this heatsink: http://www.yoyotech.co.uk/product_in...91121c36095da9

It comes with multiple brackets so as to make sure it fits whichever mobo you're using.

Scan has a pretty good return policy...
                        "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

Originally posted by steveiouk View Post
                          Here are some pics.

The diameter on these holes is way too big for the screws to screw into. They simply pass through the holes.

Any help is really appreciated
                          You should see 4 similar screw hole locations on your case back panel that you secure the motherboard to. The stand offs used to secure the motherboard to the case are the same ones you will need to use for the back of the processor heat sink. That is of course if your case has the mounting screw locations for your particular motherboard. So when you place the motherboard into the case and secure the motherboard with screws, there should now be threaded standoffs in the location of the processors.

And of course, 2cpu.com is a great resource as well.

I hope that helps some.

Troy
                          Troy Buckley | Technical Art Director
                          Midwest Studios

Comment

Thanks for the help. The heatsinks are both installed now
                            Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Working...
                            X