Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any way to do transparency with no refraction in vray?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any way to do transparency with no refraction in vray?

Hi folks,

I wanted to do a material with quite a bit of falloff in the centre and at the edges as a way of getting some nice gas flame materials - they work fine in the scanline with the standard materials but I lose the ability to use blurry transparency. I need to use falloff, self illumination and blurry reflections to hide the sharp edges when the camera makes the flames pass by each other but since vray is physically wired it's not the easiest thing to achieve. Has anyone any thoughts on achieving something like this?

I might end up going with the sharper stuff and useing some blurs and glows to do it but it'd be nice to have the option of breaking vrays approach to refraction and just do some curve nonsense!

Cheers!

Your standard material doesn't work when you render it with vray?
    Eric Boer
    Dev

Comment

To make a transparent VRayMtl without refraction, simply put the appropriate map in its Opacity map slot.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by RErender View Post
        Your standard material doesn't work when you render it with vray?
        It does indeed but there's a few of the glossy features that I'd like that the standard won't use :/

Cheers for that Vlado, there's a few bits to fiddle with that now.

Comment

Originally posted by joconnell View Post
          It does indeed but there's a few of the glossy features that I'd like that the standard won't use :/
          can you use a standard material in a VrayBlend material, or do they all have to be VrayMat's? You could blend the glossy features over the standard material perhaps?

Comment

Yep - that seems to be giving me some black edges though but I haven't played with it enough just yet. Cheers for the replies!

Comment

what about using VRayMap in a standard mat for the glossies ?

Regards,
              Thorsten

Comment

Originally posted by instinct View Post
                what about using VRayMap in a standard mat for the glossies ?

Regards,
                Thorsten
                It seems to break when you combine it with the opacity channel :/

Comment

Working...
                X