Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you use DR?

Hello,

This is a poll to help me make some plans for our development - if you take a moment to vote, it will be very helpfull. Thanks!

Best regards,
    Vlado
    All the time
    47.08%
    Often, but not always
    29.18%
    Rarely
    12.84%
    Never
    10.89%
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Hi Vlado

For stills I use DR all the time.
    For animation I use DR 50% of the time and Backburner the other 50%

Regards,
    Morne
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Comment

I use DR all day long, I'm doing all my work with DR and when I have a animation to lunch it's threw BB, but for setting up the scene and all stuff, DR only.
      3LP Team

Comment

We currently use DR for test renders etc. For highres stills and animations we generally use BB.

On the subject of using both, do you guys find performance problems if render nodes are used for DR and backburner at the same time.

For instance, if one user is doing local test renders using all rendernodes through DR and at the same time another user is using the render nodes through BB?

I suppose a solution would be to allocate certain render nodes to each, but this is not the most efficient way of making use of all render nodes all of the time.

Thoughts?
        chris
        www.arc-media.co.uk

Comment

DR is crucial...for archviz it is very important to be able to distribute rendering of a single image. i use it all the time. (since it happens to run stable on my setup, i know others where it doesn't seem to work all the time).
          i rarely render animations, so my small renderfarm would be useless without DR.
          Marc Lorenz
          ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
          www.marclorenz.com
          www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Comment

dr all the time: tests, final low res, final high res.. never used it for animations though.

Comment

DR all the time.. btw.. thanks Vray guys for DR, sooo usefull
              Alain Blanchette
              www.pixistudio.com

Comment

We use DR every now and then because we only have 2 x64 computers and both are used as workstation.
                If I'd have more PCs available I would definitly use it all the time. It's great!
                www.artbyarjan.com - Online portfolio (temporarily offline)
                @home:
                / AMD Phenom X4 @ 3.00Ghz / ATI HD 4890 / 8Gb Ram /
                / Vista Ultimate x64 / Max 2010 / Vray 1.5 SP3a Edu /
                @work:
                / Intel Core2Quad Q9450 @ 2.66Ghz /
                Nvidia Quadro FX 3700 / 8Gb Ram /
                / Vista Bussines x64 /

Comment

Originally posted by chrisjacks21 View Post
                  We currently use DR for test renders etc. For highres stills and animations we generally use BB.

On the subject of using both, do you guys find performance problems if render nodes are used for DR and backburner at the same time.

For instance, if one user is doing local test renders using all rendernodes through DR and at the same time another user is using the render nodes through BB?

I suppose a solution would be to allocate certain render nodes to each, but this is not the most efficient way of making use of all render nodes all of the time.

Thoughts?
                  Personally I use DR at home almost all the time with my little farm. At work it is like Chris says, it is a problem sharing farm boxes between BB and DR efficiently. It would be great if Spawner were more integrated with BB.
                  Eric Boer
                  Dev

Comment

Second the motion on BB Spawner behaving together. We use it to do huge models on our 16 gig ram workstations...ones that kill the 8 gig machines on the farm....
                    Two heads are better than one ...
                    ....but some head is better than none.....

Comment

Please make it more fool proof cos at times it fails and at time it works.
                      Last edited by victor.nsy; 02-10-2008, 11:57 PM. Reason: lousy with english
                      Studio Max 2009 x64
                      X5000 Chipset | Dual Core Intel 5140 | 4G RAM | Nvidia FX3450 drv 6.14.10.9185

Comment

Originally posted by victor.nsy View Post
                        Please make it more fool proof cos at times it fails and at time it works.
                        well, yes. second the wish. once the problem was it often couldn't make the spawner run, and dr didn't even start. now, at least here, it tends to be much more stable but even with spawner and client up and running, client's buckets won't start render. or sometime they render all black, making dr still a bit hit or miss.

Comment

I would if it was a bit more reliable, but it fails to work far too often to use regularly.

I've used it once or twice in an emergency - when it has been a great help, and 3 or 4 times i've tried to use it just when the farm was dead to get some extra speed.
                          I only get a few renders out of it before machines start to simply not pick the scene up and it starts to fail.

Comment

i second was cubiclegangster said:
                            after a few renderings one or the other spawner client won't start to render. this especially happens with big, memory intensive scenes. this is also true for dr over bb. thats usually when i got a bad dream about my images not being finished in the morning.
                            -
                            render forza!

-----

Office Le Nomade, Vienna

web: www.oln.at
                            blog: blog.oln.at

Comment

DR is critical for me. I use it all the time for rendering still images. The latest build is working well for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X