No announcement yet.

Do you use DR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another idea/thing, which i think may be where your question was coming from to begin with based on a comment i saw in your vray user group video

It sure would be nice if machines that dont have max installed, but could be rigged up with a vray standalone for instance could be used for DR <hint hint> and maybe something for us end users to rig up, but something like a Screen Saver that could be used to flag a machine as possible to use for DR when the user is not at the desk.. possible to do now (And actually, not that difficult either), but it would require a bit more robust failure procedures for removing a machine from the DR pool of an already rendering job.
    Dave Buchhofer. // Vsaiwrk

Comment

Yes, always.

And unlike problems others are having, it is incredibly stable and reliable. Rarely does a node fail. And if one does, it only takes a second to restart the service with a script.
      Last edited by Clifton Santiago; 15-10-2008, 05:53 AM.
      "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

I've not used DR yet, but am planning to set up a small render farm soon. I don't know if I'm asking the world here, but it would be fantasic if you could use nodes for DR that didn't require Max or windows, just Linux and Vray node info.

Comment

We couldnt do our job with out it ... well we could you split lines .. but you know thats CR*P ...

DR rocks but it needs to be a little more than just DR, we need more control like adding machines on the fly and free up machines for example ...

And of course the (as mentioned many times before) DR window needs to be expandable, and the ability to multy select machines like shift and control when clicking the nodes .. 200 machines takes a lot of clicking and un-clicking between 5 designers ! ...

Natty
          Natty
          http://www.rendertime.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by tct70 View Post
            I've not used DR yet, but am planning to set up a small render farm soon. I don't know if I'm asking the world here, but it would be fantasic if you could use nodes for DR that didn't require Max or windows, just Linux and Vray node info.
            The realms of Stand-Alone i think ..
            Natty

Comment

what about plugins? is the standalone app capable of tackling the lack of plugin support?
              Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
              nuno@ene-digital.com
              00351 917593145

Comment

I wouldnt know mate ... this is why you need max to be installed i guess..
                Natty

Comment

DR has been a &^%^%& pain in the $%$ for me, need to get it sorted asap, which brings me to my next question, Ideally I would like to get someone that knows networks and has a basic understanding of vray to sort it, but cannot find such a person. I can ping machines from each other but cant get DR to see them when rendering,, blood pressure begining to rise....
                  Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

Comment

do you have users and groups set up ? with permissions ?
                    Natty

Comment

Originally posted by natty View Post
                      I wouldnt know mate ... this is why you need max to be installed i guess..
                      yeah...i just wish i could ditch Adesk...
                      Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
                      nuno@ene-digital.com
                      00351 917593145

Comment

DR works fine here, use it quite oftern, would be good to see maybe a better version of backburner with some more options suitable for vray and DR maybe?

I think DR saves costs and lets you render bigger scenes without spending mega £$£$£$£$£$ on top of the range computers all the time and let you push the quality up that much further for tight deadlines.
                        Simon Askham - http://www.supercreative3d.com Rendering with Threadripper 2990WX Asus Prime X399 36GB DDR4

Comment

DR works fine for me (Max 2009) now that I turned off the Navigation wheel and View Cube for the viewports. I may use it only 10% of the time, but upcoming projects will probably require me to use it a lot more often.

Comment

@ene.xis: yeah, don't we all mate. Being a scif-fi geek, I often wonder where the "singularity" is going to come from: i.e what company creates the machine that becomes self-aware and instigates a robot apocalypse. My bet is on Adesk.
                            "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

Not going to vote because the reasons have nothing to do with DR itself - the computers used for rendering during the night are used by actual real people during the day.

Comment

We use it all the time too, here is a lot of vegetation (tropical) so the clients ask for a lot of trees, plants etc. DR has made everithing less complicated for us but we have the constant problem of reset the spawners because the freeze maybe 2 or 3 for each render.

Comment

Working...
                                X