No announcement yet.

Animation (prepass) Flickering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just wanted to add this for anybody still having problems. I was encountering flickering lights with my animated OBJECTS, with a still camera. The problem was a material in the scene that was using interpolation. Turned off interpolation and all flickering was gone.
    http://www.dev-res.com

Comment

you should never use interpolation for glossy on animations, i think this is also in manual.

cheers
      stefan

Comment

So has anyone used interpolation on glossy stuff with success on an anim or is it there just to speed up stills? Am doing some glossy glass balcony divisions and would like to know. Thanks.

Comment

Double post, server chocked.

Comment

It will not work well for animations; would be best to turn it off in that case.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks for clearing that one up Vlado.

Would have saved a bunch of money on the render though. Darn it.

Comment

Did a search and found this thread so I thought I would continue it as Im having the same problem with flickering using this method.

The problem is shown here:

http://www.vimeo.com/8396964

Should I still be using the same method as outlined by Vlado earlier on in the thread ?

Can I pre-calc the lightcache when using animation pre-pass or should it still be set to single frame ?

Thanks for any help..
                Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Hey Steve,

I think it's mainly related to the LightCache. Still no flicker-free solution for animated camera+objects even with "Use camera path" option.

You may want to take a look here:

http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbu...ad.php?t=47987

EDIT: Yep, you need single frame LCache for animation purposes...

Regards,
                  A.
                  Last edited by 3Seventh; 02-01-2010, 05:30 AM.
                  www.thirdseventh.com

Comment

Cheers. Have kind of "bumped" the other thread...maybe there will be some update on this...
                    Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by stevesideas View Post
                      ...maybe there will be some update on this...
                      Hopefully. Problem is LCache casts no time-independent rays, no regular distribution when objects move...

Here's a practical tutorial but it's incomplete; no results...

http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150S...ials_anim2.htm

Regards,
                      A.
                      www.thirdseventh.com

Comment

Ok. Im just about to test the method outlined above. I will be turning off "store direct light" for the animation prepass.

Point 1.6.4 is incorrect and should be animation (prepass).

Im also using 4 other render nodes(DR) to calc the prepass.

Will share the results as soon as I get some.
                        Last edited by stevesideas; 12-01-2010, 06:23 AM.
                        Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Firstly, each pre-animation frame is pass is taking 1.5 hours. I have 358 frames to do. 1.5 hours x 358 = 537 hours. 537 hours/4 (render nodes) = 134 hours. 134 hours / 24 = 5.5 days roughly...just for prepass. Slightly on the high side I think ! Is there is no quick/high quality solution when using this method ?! Who knows how long the actual render will take. I only have the irr map set to medium animation preset.
                          Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

It will be either quick, or high-quality, I'm afraid. Since you have to calculate one irradiance map per frame, you can't afford to use very high settings for it - you will have to play with those until you get acceptable render times.

Best regards,
                            Vlado
                            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Vlado, i've read the moving objects tutorial V2 on spot3d.com.

I'lm actually making a wizard for moving objects nimation wich help to manage the process (flythrough wizard is almost finished).

I've some questions about the process (for general cases) :

- Use camera path : is it Always better to use it for both Lc and im for full anims ?
                              - store direct light and use LC for glossies.. if off, no need to recompute LC for final frames. cool. But IM and glossies will be longer to compute at beauty pass. Do you think that in a simple wizard it's better to force them OFF ? or is there some special cases ?
                              - interp frames 2 is a correct value for most of anims ? in what situations do i need to increase/decrease this value ?
                              - At final render time, you suggest to set the interp samples to 5, as irrmap is now a fusion of 5 irrmaps (2+actual+2). Do you confirm that point ? what's the rule between these 2 values? (interp samples value and interp frame value ?)
                              if i understand well, you've used this formula : final render IM interp samples = (prepass IM interp samples) / (interp frames * 2) --- (20/(2*2)). This can be generally used for good results ?

Thanks by advance for your answer...
                              Jérôme Prévost.
                              SolidRocks, the V-Ray Wizard.
                              http://solidrocks.subburb.com

Comment

Did you get your "Wizard" all ironed out Subburb? What did you ultimatly conclude that the best average steps were for approaching moving object LC/IR animation was?

Comment

Working...
                                X