No announcement yet.

About noise in general

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You're quite right in what you're thinking but perhaps by setting the subdivs so high, will it mean that your min aa pass end up using too many rays when you're rendering at aa 1 and taking max material samples? That's one of the reasons that I'd like to know how vray loops between the dmc sampler and the aa sampler up through the levels of quality!

Comment

• Jérôme,
      it's possible divide the subdivs by Refraction/reflection channel?
      Now we change all Subdivs
      Thanks!
      www.francescolegrenzi.com

VRay - THE COMPLETE GUIDE - The book
      Corona - THE COMPLETE GUIDE - The book

--- FACEBOOK ---

Comment

• Originally posted by Subburb View Post
        I'm having a request for guys wich are at ease with maths... :

I'm trying to simplify this tool, allowing the user to enter only 2 values : subdivs for gloss 0.0 and subdivs for gloss 1.0.
        All the other values will be computed by the script, in different manners.

for example, the user entered 8 subdivs for gloss=1.0 and 64 subdivs for gloss = 0.0
        In linear method, that's quite easy : ((max - min)+1) * glossyvalue or something like that.
        in this case, glossy with 0.5 value will have ((64 - 8 ) + 1) * 0.5 = 28 subdivs.

but it would be nice to have also other methods, like log, expo, power, etc.. to compute the intermediate values...
        Someone have an interesting formula here ?
        What about using a curveControl to interpolate between values? It might not be quite as accurate but visually it's easier to understand.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vrSubs.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	845563

Here's the code for anyone who wants to try it:
        Code:
        try(destroydialog vrSubs) catch()

rollout vrSubs "Set VRay Material Subdivs"
        (
        	on vrSubs open do
        	(
        		vrSubs.theCurve = vrSubs.msa.curves[1]
        		vrSubs.theCurve.color = red
        		vrSubs.subdMax.value = 64
        		vrSubs.subdMin.value = 8
        		vrSubs.setCCVal 1 vrSubs.subdMax.value
        		vrSubs.setCCVal 2 vrSubs.subdMin.value
        	)

local theCurve

fn getCcPoint curve ptIndex = curve.points[ptIndex] --because getPoint is broken in Max2012
        	fn setCcPoint curve ptIndex newPoint = (curve.points[ptIndex] = newPoint) --because setPoint is broken in Max2012

fn setCCVal i yVal =
        	(
        		local pt1 = vrSubs.getCcPoint vrSubs.theCurve i
        		pt1.value = [0,yVal]
        		vrSubs.setCcPoint vrSubs.theCurve i pt1
        		zoom vrSubs.msa #all
        	)

fn setSpins ccIndex ptIndex =
        	(
        		local selCurve = vrSubs.msa.curves[ccIndex]
        		local newPt = vrSubs.getCcPoint selCurve ptIndex

if ptIndex == 1 do vrSubs.subdMax.value = newPt.value.y
        		if ptIndex == selCurve.numPoints do vrSubs.subdMin.value = newPt.value.y
        	)

fn setVrSubs =
        	(
        		for vrm in getClassInstances vrayMtl do vrm.reflection_subdivs = getValue vrSubs.theCurve 0 vrm.reflection_glossiness lookup:true
        		for vrm in getClassInstances vrayCarpaintMtl do vrm.subdivs = getValue vrSubs.theCurve 0 vrm.base_glossiness lookup:true
        		for vrm in getClassInstances vrayFlakesMtl do vrm.subdivs = getValue vrSubs.theCurve 0 vrm.flake_glossiness lookup:true
        		for vrm in getClassInstances vrayFastSSS2 do vrm.specular_subdivs = getValue vrSubs.theCurve 0 vrm.specular_glossiness lookup:true
        	)

spinner subdMax "Subdivs @ Glossiness = 0.0:" pos:[10,410] range:[0,128,64] type:#integer fieldwidth:30 --controller:(Bezier_Float())
        	spinner subdMin "Subdivs @ Glossiness = 1.0:" pos:[210,410] range:[0,128,8] type:#integer fieldwidth:30 --controller:(Bezier_Float())

CurveControl msa pos:[5,5] width:390 height:390 x_range:[0,1] y_range:[0,128] numCurves:1
        	uiFlags:#(#drawBG, #drawgrid, #ruler, #upperToolbar, #showReset, #constrainY, #xvalue) --#lowerToolbar,
        	commandMode:#move_xy

button setVrSubsBut "Set VRayMlt Reflection Subdivs" pos:[5,435] width:390

on msa ptChanged ccI ptI do vrSubs.setSpins ccI ptI
        	on subdMax entered do vrSubs.setCCVal 1 vrSubs.subdMax.value
        	on subdMin entered do vrSubs.setCCVal vrSubs.theCurve.numPoints vrSubs.subdMin.value
        	on setVrSubsBut pressed do setVrSubs()
        )
        CreateDialog vrSubs width: 400 style:#(#style_titlebar, #style_minimizebox, #style_sysmenu)
        Dan Brew

Comment

• wow ! nice approach !
          Jérôme Prévost.
          SolidRocks, the V-Ray Wizard.
          http://solidrocks.subburb.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Subburb View Post
            wow ! nice approach !
            Thanks
            If you want to make it more accurate you could make the dialog bigger. Also if you want to position the points exactly there is an optional lower toolbar you can add by adding #lowerToolbar to the array of uiFlags.
            Dan Brew

Comment

• Originally posted by lllab View Post
              here a small test i made a test with Bertrands Chicago scene,
              19min with bruteforce-LC using my method at 1600px, 1h 38h at 5000px wide.
              of course it is not fully textured and has no furniture elements,
              for the test i put a light gray glossy reflecting material (ior 1.6, intensity 0.5) on all objects, and hdri outside.

brute force, glossy reflection and one hdri dome light, all a subdiv of 256,
              AA 1x100x 0.004, DMC all default(threshold 0.01)
              colormapping: subpixelmapping on (on makes it dramatically faster for me even though not 100% correct in light then), reinhard 1/0.25/2.2

http://images-stefan.s3.amazonaws.co...BRLC_19min.jpg

i am not sure this says some for fully textured and crowded scenes, but it seems quite ok from noise to me,
              AA thrh. at 0.003 would make it more clean of course, render slightly longer

Stefan
              Sorry if I if I raise this thread. But, as many users, we fight every days with the noise problem.
              I read all what we can read about DMC, noise. etc... The "Stefan method" is good, but if you read well, he wrote: colormapping: subpixelmapping on
              with subpixel mapping off, I think with VRay 2.0, with BF+LC (old school or US) it's impossible have good rendering time and no noise (or a few noise). It's impossible (or you have +10 good rendernodes for a single images)
              But it's crazy to use 10 rendernode, in the 2012, for a single "normal" image
              Again Stefan said: "not 100% correct in light" I reply "yes" only if you don't have glossy, two side material. Otherwise, the differences are very notable (highlight more realistic)
              I hope in some "fix" and "development" in the new VRay
              We, VRay Users, wrote million thread here and, at the end, no a real solution with sub-pixel mapping ON. Or:
              • we have huuuuuuuge rendering time (+50 hours)
              • or a lot of noise.
              • or, with sub-pixel mapping on, we lose nice highlight

Also, retrace threshold kills the rendering time. In my test x2 time, if you want that this option is slightly visible.

This is my conclusion, after days of test.

New opinions are VERY WELCOME!
              Last edited by cecofuli; 29-09-2012, 08:43 AM.

--- FACEBOOK ---

Comment

• Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you. We are researching various options for more efficient sampling, but none has lead to a practical solution so far.

Best regards,
                Vlado
                I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

• Hi Vlado, the good news is that you are researching various options. This means that there is an obvious problem.
                  And Chaosgroup is working on it. We are waiting for a new sampling Good luck!

--- FACEBOOK ---

Comment

• i think faster sampling would always be near the top of the to-do list at chaos.. even if everyone was happy with it. i understand people are saying it was faster in earlier builds but ive not noticed any particular slowdown in the later versions myself. having said that i rarely use brute force. we have the lovely imap. with the right settings it can still be pin sharp and faster too. imho, if youre gonna use brute force may as well use maxwell (or rt of course...)

Comment

• Originally posted by cecofuli View Post
                      This means that there is an obvious problem.
                      Nope, no problems as far as I can tell - things are perfectly correct. But it does not mean that things can't be improved

Best regards,
                      Vlado

Comment

• Originally posted by super gnu View Post
                        i understand people are saying it was faster in earlier builds but ive not noticed any particular slowdown in the later versions myself.
                        It may only have been faster because it was buggy before... After the fix, for most of our tests, there wasn't a great difference in render times, and many were exactly the same.

Best regards,
                        Vlado

Comment

• Also, keep in mind that subpixel mapping ON will *always* be wrong. Our research is directed at less noise with that option disabled.

Best regards,
                          Vlado

Comment

• Ehehe.. sorry... I wanted say: this means that there is a space for improve the sampling engine

super gnu: VRay is so famous for the flexibility:

I want speed, but a lot of test rendering, splotches (sometime) and human time (change settings etc): IM+LC.
                            I want quality and "one click" solution with high rendering time: BF+LC

But, as we can see, many people, like me, after seeing the rendering time so high and noisily, we started to think: why not Maxwell or Octane?
                            This is not the road. I want to use VRay for both solutions
                            Last edited by cecofuli; 29-09-2012, 09:37 AM.

--- FACEBOOK ---

Comment

• I have a solution for you: time travel to the future
                              Dmitry Vinnik
                              Silhouette Images Inc.
                              ShowReel:
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
                              https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

• Originally posted by vlado View Post
                                Also, keep in mind that subpixel mapping ON will *always* be wrong. Our research is directed at less noise with that option disabled.

Best regards,
                                Vlado
                                Yes Vlado, I know. And sometimes is not possible to have a correct render with subpixel mapping ON (diamond shader with aberration for example).
                                Also, in the old VRay, if I remember correctly, subpixel mapping was ON by default and unexposed in the UI.
                                But in my last project (big interior, with a lot of little windows and glossy wood everywhere) with BF+LC With (no universal setting) I had 39 hours at 2500px, with LC retrace on.
                                With "only" subpixel mapping ON and retrace OFF, now I've 11 hours with I7 920 (and less noise).
                                Ok, the rendering is less "realistic", a little bit darker, and the highlight less beauty. But the client doesn't see the difference.
                                But, inside me, I understand that this is no "correct" and I could make better rendering. And I don't like think this.

--- FACEBOOK ---

Comment

Working...
                                X