No announcement yet.

About noise in general

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think it really makes any difference. It's just that the higher the value the slower the render and with very bright values you get increased likelihood of artefacts or noise when using bright lights. On the other hand, brighter values reduce the need for raising light power.
    Check my blog

Comment

• My diffuse white and GI white are usually different - floors and walls tend to get an override material. I keep the diffuse around 200 odd then add an extra 20-30 for gi (and switch reflections off...)

Comment

• Originally posted by BBB3 View Post
        I don't think it really makes any difference.
        the difference should be in contrast, and somehow more predictable light distribution. very bright materials tend to make light bounce around too much, and generally wash out images and result in very long render times. when working with a 2,2 gamma correction at least, materials should be adjusted on the darker side, even the bright ones. well, I guess a solid white is still solid white when gamma corrected, but any value in between 0 and 1 should be adjusted to take into account the gamma correction.

Comment

• Hi guys,
          It has been already said many things but I still can't find a way to kill noise. Well I am not an expert with Vray Settings but not a newbie too but unfortunately couldn't find a way to solve my problem.

In my case:
          IM+LC kills detail and bumps.
          BF+LC kills reflections and bring so much noise.

I will try to show my problem with partial renders. I apologise that some renders are incomplete due to high render time but I think they are enough to express my problem.

ABOUT REFLECTIONS:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ref_IM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	844101
          This is the image rendered with IM+LC
          You can see the reflections on the floor under the table.
          These reflections disappear with BF+LC. Below are twon renders with BF+LC and second one has higher settings and reflections are almost dead.

Name:	Ref_BF.jpg
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	844102

Name:	Ref_BF_high.jpg
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	844103

ABOUT NOISE:
          Below are the 3 images
          1. IM+LC
          2. BF+LC
          3. BF+LC very high settings
          ( BF Subdivisions are 50, Material Reflection Subdivisons are 60! AA is min2, max50 with threshold 0.002)

As you will see, I can't get rid of the noise.

Name:	Ref2_IM.jpg
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	844104

Name:	Ref2_BF.jpg
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	844107

NOISE IN DARK AREAS:
          I have the noise in dark areas althoug the "Dont affect colors (adaptation only)" parameter is enabled.

I am reading thread since the begining, trying to follow advises but I couldn't solve.
          In my previous scenes, I was using lower settings but renderings with better quality.
          So what am I doing wrong?
          Last edited by pixela; 10-06-2011, 12:06 AM.
          for my blog and tutorials:
          www.alfasmyrna.com

Comment

• This is the last image that I couldn't insert inside the post because of the 5 image limitation.
            It is the BF+LC high settings render.

Name:	Ref2_BF_high.jpg
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	844108
            Last edited by pixela; 10-06-2011, 12:10 AM.
            www.alfasmyrna.com

Comment

• Considering all this, should Chaos perhaps consider updating the universal settings workflow? Many of us are grappling in the dark trying to achieve the same results the method delivered in the past and finding that letting the AA do all the work is no longer working as it used to...
              Check my blog

Comment

• Totally agree with bertrand, an update would be great!
                Shop | Work | Blog

Comment

• ^^^^ yes we need update on universal , because maybe we're missing something.
                  Luke Szeflinski
                  :: www.lukx.com cgi

Comment

• They must be 5 years out of date and the slowest possible way to render anything. Scrapping rather than updating would be better, they're too misleading.

Comment

• Originally posted by cubiclegangster View Post
                      They must be 5 years out of date
                      maybe even older? I seem to remember chris nichols explainig AA universal settings, and it was ages ago.. anyway, I agree it can be better to break down a scene into smaller parts and understand where problems come from, instead of letting the AA doing all the work.

Comment

• Pixela It might be that your high aa settings are stopping vray from ever using your high material samples, and it's the material samples that'd really help to clean up your material quickest. Gorgeous looking materials by the way!

Comment

• Originally posted by joconnell View Post
                          Pixela It might be that your high aa settings are stopping vray from ever using your high material samples, and it's the material samples that'd really help to clean up your material quickest. Gorgeous looking materials by the way!
                          Thank you very much about the materials- I am very happy to hear this =)

About the darker renders with BF:
                          Actually last week I rendered with higher reflection subdivisons and DMC Sampler 2/6 as well but the result didn't change.
                          The BF renders much darker than the IM.
                          Even with a global generic 128 grey material, there is a significant difference with BF render and it is darker.
                          I sent the scene to Vlado and now looking forward to hear from him.
                          www.alfasmyrna.com

Comment

• Hey Pixela, not sure if this has come up already in the thread but this
                            http://www.interstation3d.com/tutori...yfing_dmc.html
                            really cleared up some things for me on how anti aliasing is handled in vray.

Following the ideas in the above link would confirm what joconnell said that with settings like
                            ( BF Subdivisions are 50, Material Reflection Subdivisons are 60! AA is min2, max50 with threshold 0.002)

your materials at 60 subdivisions are being divided by your max subdivisions of 50 or 60/50=1.2 subdivs rounded down to 1 subdiv for your materials so in that example you would still be handling all of your noise with AA and material subdivs are not really contributing.

BF Subdivisions are 50, Material Reflection Subdivisons 400!! AA is min2, max50 with threshold 0.002

as this would give you 400/50 = 8 subdivs

Comment

• Originally posted by pg1 View Post
                              Hey Pixela, not sure if this has come up already in the thread but this
                              http://www.interstation3d.com/tutori...yfing_dmc.html
                              really cleared up some things for me on how anti aliasing is handled in vray.

Following the ideas in the above link would confirm what joconnell said that with settings like

your materials at 60 subdivisions are being divided by your max subdivisions of 50 or 60/50=1.2 subdivs rounded down to 1 subdiv for your materials so in that example you would still be handling all of your noise with AA and material subdivs are not really contributing.

BF Subdivisions are 50, Material Reflection Subdivisons 400!! AA is min2, max50 with threshold 0.002

as this would give you 400/50 = 8 subdivs
                              Thanks a lot. I realized the same when I was reading this article too and it helped me. What confuses me is that the universal settings of Vlado can't take care of noise problem anymore and DMC sample behaves different than older versions.
                              www.alfasmyrna.com

Comment

• so is there any positive outcome to this thread, or we giving up on BF?
                                Kind Regards,
                                Morne

Comment

Working...
                                X