About noise in general

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BBB3 View Post
    Not quite the same problem, it seems. Luk is actually getting more noise when he raises the AA settings. Like I was.
    yes - more noise on walls, less on blurry reflections.
    Luke Szeflinski
    :: www.lukx.com cgi

Comment

read some where not to use full 255 in the colour slots for rgb in materials? would this help?

Comment

yes I never use 255... 250 is the highest for me
        Last edited by lukx; 27-05-2011, 08:47 AM.
        Luke Szeflinski

Comment

250 is pretty high though. Did you try 180,180,180 or something in this region and see what happens?
          Check my blog

Comment

180 for white? wow if I do that I will have to bump up light a lot and for sure will get burnouts
            Luke Szeflinski

Comment

are we also supposed not to use 255 in reflection and refraction (glass)
              Luke Szeflinski

Comment

Originally posted by lukx View Post
                180 for white? wow if I do that I will have to bump up light a lot and for sure will get burnouts
                not really, if you tone down every material accordingly. as you work linearly, materials have to be way darker than what they used to be before linear work flows took over.. this way you should get proper contrast and light distribution.
                I usually don't ever go above 180/190 for whites.

Comment

Regarding noise again... is it me or changing subdivs in material (reflection subdivs for example) doesn't do anything I bumped them up to 512 an no change it render time and quality.
                  Luke Szeflinski

Comment

woooo !! It's really really weird. The more I read, the more I don't understand what is going on !!?
                    I'm still working with 1.5 and will upgrade soon...for sure. But I would like to understand what's happen with noise with 2.0....

Originally posted by peterguthrie View Post
                    rendering some tests now, 1.5 vs 2, but methinks theres only one man who can clear this up, where is he??
                    Yes ! where is he ?!
                    (Sorry for my bad english)

Comment

Lukx: I seem to remember reading that, for glass at least, refraction should always be pure white and diffuse pure black otherwise it would result in much longer render time.
                      These would be the two exceptions.
                      I also go for 180/190 for white. Very rarely cross 200.
                      Check my blog

Comment

thats very interesting Bertrandt...about the whites...will have to try it
                        i ve finished my IM/LC and BF comparison tests...you can have a look to image section of the forum for INTERIOR WIP thread
                        i am just abou to post the 3500px hires render links hope this will not kill our hosting though
                        Martin
                        http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

I did some tests, which Vlado will hopefully enjoy as they seem to suggest everything is working as it should. I should maybe have tried a more complex scene, but at the time thought a simple white interior would highlight any problems with noise.

The exterior scene confirms an issue I have with vray 2, that it isn't as economical with memory. Although the vray 2 version rendered quicker, it used more than 2 gb more ram.
                          Attached Files
                          www.peterguthrie.net
                          www.peterguthrie.net/blog/
                          www.pg-skies.net/

Comment

That's very interesting, Peter (and puzzling, of course).
                            RAM management is an obvious problem too. I've got 16GB of RAM and I find myself hitting this limit these days more often than I'd like.
                            Check my blog

Comment

Peter,
                              Is there a glass on window?
                              for my blog and tutorials:
                              www.alfasmyrna.com

Comment

Originally posted by pixela View Post
                                Peter,
                                Is there a glass on window?
                                no, i could re-render it on vray 2 with glass though
                                www.peterguthrie.net
                                www.peterguthrie.net/blog/
                                www.pg-skies.net/

Comment

Working...
                                X