No announcement yet.

About noise in general

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's a bit strange that Vlado seems closing his eyes on this problem. Maybe Vray grow so much that it's now hard to find a solution for this problem...but only it's code writers can answer this question.
    Luke Szeflinski
    :: www.lukx.com cgi

Comment

• Thanks for the reply Bertrand! That doesnt sound good at all... hope Vlado and the gang can work out whats wrong and fix it! I find it difficult to believe its you who is suddenly doing something wrong with the settings... I see the problem with sending huge files, but maybe you could use sprend or dropbox or something. (or maybe chaos has a server you can upload it to directly?) Im guessing it would be alot easier for them to debug a scene that has these problems, than trying to create a scene thats problematic themselves. /k

Comment

• first its important to merge old scenes into new,
        if you have done that and if that really doesnt help i woudl really hope yo can send Vlado a example,
        even if some gigabytes big, this isnt a real problem today to send, compress it, there are free online hoster or dropbox where you can upload and share such a thing. i assume only with a file anybody/vlado can tell anything real about it.

you woudl help all here and maybe help for getting solution or info
        cheers
        stefan

Comment

• 14 PAGE THREAD
          SERIOUS ISSUE BEING DISCUSSED
          SOME OF THE BEST ARTIST POSTING VALUABLE INFO
          AND NOT A SINGLE SMALL REPLY FROM CHAOS

i ve been around this forum for a long time ---even b4 i started posting as Pixelbox and its very hard to remind myself such a huge post dealing with important thing without a note from Vlado.
          Even a short sentence such as "We are working on it, give us time and in the meantime use this and that" would bring some optimism in the community.
          Martin
          http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

• Is it possible, for some strange reason, that he can't see this thread...? As unlikely as that would be, it seems more likely than he's avoiding it...
            David M. Foster

Comment

• I did some tests (shared with Bertrand) on a new scene both with 1.5 and 2.0 and found there to be almost no difference in speed or noise. It was a difficult to light scene, but without any vray 2 only features.

Having said that it would be great if Vlado and Bertrand could in some way get to the bottom of it. That Bertrand is having these difficulties means I have niggling doubts too
              Last edited by peterguthrie; 19-01-2012, 01:01 PM.
              www.peterguthrie.net
              www.peterguthrie.net/blog/
              www.pg-skies.net/

Comment

• We should not be unfair on Vlado. He's looked into this particular issue extensively. It's just that he couldn't find anything wrong.

And the fact that both Vlado and Peter came up with the same conclusions tell me I'm doing sthg wrong. I just don't know what.
                Check my blog

Comment

• dont get me wrong....i am just pointing towards a strange fact this thread is being ignored....or maybe its well observed but just not commented for some reason....maybe for the reason being that there is really nothing wrong ))
                  i am also not saying vray 2 is slower (it is when u render 1.5 scene without merging)

but some computations in comlicated scenes while using BF are just so slow that its quicker to clear them out with PP (now with its ability to use DR it could be even quicker)
                  Martin
                  http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

• What about pixela's post here, did you find any solution? Changing to the older 1.5 Adapt. DMC Image sampling with the env. variable is enough for solving the time/noise issues? or the problem is in DMC Sampler too...?¿
                    Last edited by peprgb; 19-01-2012, 01:49 PM.

Comment

• I don't think Vlado is ignoring it, but consider that he answers the majority of questions on here as well as doing his other work: it's likely just a priority thing. A lack of response from Vlado usually means one of 3 things in my experience:

1) he hasn't gotten to it yet
                      2) the question has already been answered elsewhere (even then he often answers anyway)
                      3) the question is just dumb (I think that applies to many of my questions, but he often answers these anyway too)

He's addressed the issue extensively by the sound of it - what more can he say really?

b
                      Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
                      e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

• Originally posted by peterguthrie View Post
                        I did some tests (shared with Bertrand) on a new scene both with 1.5 and 2.0 and found there to be almost no difference in speed or noise. It was a difficult to light scene, but without any vray 2 only features.
                        well, this is good news. so the difference in quality, noise wise, it's not as certain a fact as reading through the pages of this thread would lead one to believe? I point this out only because it's something I can't experience first hand, as I don't own vray 2, and I heavily rely on opinions from other people here (especially when they are very good artists as bertrand), about the quality of the latest versions.
                        Last edited by rivoli; 20-01-2012, 04:10 AM.

Comment

• No, by no means. I would say most people haven't actually noticed any negative changes since 2.0. It's just a handful of people. But then again, it doesn't necessarily mean there is no problem, but perhaps that there is something in common in the workflow I, Pixela and others are using that leads to these problems.
                          Check my blog

Comment

• Yes I also have problems with noise...and somehow deep down I think it's me doing something wrong... but only vray makers can help me...
                            Luke Szeflinski
                            :: www.lukx.com cgi

Comment

• Originally posted by PIXELBOX_SRO View Post
                              i have a scene where i dont use BF, but IM/LC
                              in that scene, DMC behaves very oddly......by raising DMC value from 1/4 to 1/16, i actually produces noisier result
                              happy to share with Chaos...no clue why it behaves like this.
                              Glad to hear I am not the only one... thought I was going crazy these last few days... more sample = more noise... wha?! very strange. In my case it's the skydome providing dark night lighting with no GI. 1/5 gives a clean result, 1/9 brings noise.
                              Did you get to the bottom of it Martin?
                              Many Thanks
                              Patrick

Comment

• AA 1x 9x doesnt give necessarily more samples than 1x5x, see the interstation dmc tutorial, then you should understand how and why high AA max values reduced the overall taken material and light samples:
                                http://www.interstation3d.com/tutori...yfing_dmc.html

the AA threshold decides about the number of samples used in end.
                                for me 1x100x is way faster than 1x4x for me, but also more grainy.
                                so one lowers the AA threshold to 0.005 or lower p.e (dmc threshold stays at 0.01),
                                1x100 /0.005 is still faster to me than 1x4x, -both noise free solutions.

this is irritating at first, as this was not so in older versions,
                                but actually i like the way, and it helps getting more speed in end. important is only to use in different new way.
                                p.e.: for br-lc still/animation i use 1x100x, with AA threshold around 0.005-0,003, and i use pretty high subdivisions everywhere (glossy, lights,etc), as they are divided by the number of max AA samples. also in br i use 256.
                                the nice is i have then only one value i need to control for the image quality, thats the AA threshold,
                                rarely i adjust the dmc adaptivness, usually about 0.7-0.95 (similar to a new type of universal setup for me at least)

i am not saying that this might help for Bertrands scenes or similar cases, but maybe worth a try?

cheers
                                stefan
                                Last edited by lllab; 20-01-2012, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X