Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

V-Ray 3.0 is scheduled for March next year ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-Ray 3.0 is scheduled for March next year ??

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/more...siggraph-2012/

You can see this in the mid of this article.

While SPI has OSL working with Arnold, the Solid Angle version of Arnold does not even support it. But at the show this seemed to be changing. fxguide sought out official confirmation and got it from V-Ray’s Vladimir Koylazov, one of the two founders and key developers from Chaos. He confirmed that not only was V-Ray going to support OSL in the next major release scheduled for roughly March next year, but that they already had it working.
    :: twitter :: Portfolio :: My 3D Products :: ...and ::

"next major release" Doesn't have to mean 3.0

/Thomas
    www.suurland.com
    www.cg-source.com
    www.hdri-locations.com

Comment

For the moment, we are indeed planning OSL support for V-Ray 3.0, although it will make it into the nightly builds a lot sooner than that.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Everyone's now going to go completely bananas since they've seen the number 3.0 beside the word Vray in a thread title

Comment

Originally posted by joconnell View Post
          Everyone's now going to go completely bananas since they've seen the number 3.0 beside the word Vray in a thread title
          Dang you were right. Saw 3.0, went bananas, get the studio all riled up....

Comment

http://code.google.com/p/openshading...L_Introduction

What are the implications of OSL support for the end user? What doors would it open up in terms of speed, shaders or quality?

Comment

Originally posted by insleight View Post
              What are the implications of OSL support for the end user? What doors would it open up in terms of speed, shaders or quality?
              OSL is targeted at TDs who want to implement specific materials. For example, you can implement a custom car paint material, or a custom skin shader with only the controls that you need. So instead of creating a complex system of blend shaders and procedural maps that forces you to jump to many different places to control the shader, you can write a custom one that exposes only the controls that you want. Or you can create a new procedural Noise texture similar to the Bercon maps etc. Since the OSL shaders are not dependent on the modeling application, you can take an OSL shader written for V-Ray in 3ds Max, and use in Maya etc.

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                OSL is targeted at TDs who want to implement specific materials. For example, you can implement a custom car paint material, or a custom skin shader with only the controls that you need. So instead of creating a complex system of blend shaders and procedural maps that forces you to jump to many different places to control the shader, you can write a custom one that exposes only the controls that you want. Or you can create a new procedural Noise texture similar to the Bercon maps etc. Since the OSL shaders are not dependent on the modeling application, you can take an OSL shader written for V-Ray in 3ds Max, and use in Maya etc.

Best regards,
                Vlado
                sound kinda complicated. Will there be complete documentation on this?
                i7 2600k (OC), 16GB RAM, Geforce GTX560Ti, Win7pro, 3dsmax 2012

Comment

Originally posted by tecsun View Post
                  sound kinda complicated. Will there be complete documentation on this?
                  Same as above. BIG FAT DOCUMENTATION please. + python support.
                  CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

Originally posted by DADAL View Post
                    Same as above. BIG FAT DOCUMENTATION please. + python support.
                    You might want to read up here:
                    http://code.google.com/p/openshading...L_Introduction

There is not so much to document on the VRay side. OSL is (as the name suggests) a language of its own. So i am not sure what you would want to use python for.
                    Documentation for the language is available via the original distribution.

Regards,
                    Thorsten

Comment

OSL sounds interesting but bring on open exr 2.0!
                      Chris Jackson
                      Shiftmedia
                      www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Originally posted by jacksc02 View Post
                        OSL sounds interesting but bring on open exr 2.0!
                        We have already implemented this too in our internal builds.

Best regards,
                        Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                          We have already implemented this too in our internal builds.

Best regards,
                          Vlado
                          Ahh good news. Looking forward to seeing it in the nightly builds
                          Chris Jackson
                          Shiftmedia
                          www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Is there any movement on the exr data window being included in nightlies? I'll be starting another feature with nuke in september and it'd be a huge plus on what'll be a very frantic job!

Comment

If you are on 3ds Max 2012 64-bit, here is an extra tool that allows you to change exr compression, enable data window and add meta data:
                              http://pich.chaosgroup.com/vlado/vra...tionre2012.rar

There is a short readme inside with installation instructions and descriptions.

If you need it for other versions of 3ds Max, let me know.

Best regards,
                              Vlado

Comment

Working...
                              X