X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRay leaves...

Just wondering if any of you have seen this yet:

http://www.ronenbekerman.com/forums/...c-foliage.html

Basically everyone there is trying to create realistic, but as efficient as possible foliage. In terms of efficiency I'm talking viewport/ram efficiency, nobody there seems to care too much about render times.

Any ideas?

My thinking is that the 2sided material is probably the way to go, as SSS requires a closed volume in which to scatter light - and when we're talking about a tree with 10m polys - to apply a shell modifier to the leaves would be suicidal. Perhaps a Volume Solid shader like in Final Render might do the trick? I don't know, just thinking out loud.
    Last edited by Macker; 06-09-2012, 03:49 AM.
    Check out my (rarely updated) blog @ http://macviz.blogspot.co.uk/

www.robertslimbrick.com

Cache nothing. Brute force everything.

Very interesting thread..thanks for the heads up.

I normally use 2 sided material and growfx but I'm far from creating convincing foilage. I think it would be a combination of the said latter and some post work...
    Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

The 2sided material should work fine most of the time, but many people set it with weird values. In general leaves are highly translucent, meaning that they look darker when viewed from the lit side, and much brighter from behind. This means that the translucency value in the 2sided material must be generally set up to a brighter value. The basic set up is very easy, a green diffuse material for front/back, and a light grey translucency value, that's all.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I was going to comment the same as Vlado here, and also add that that thread on the Ronenbekerman site is full of really strange material setups, and people generally confused as to what is what in images of foliage. The biggest issue is getting a good variation of colours on individual leaves as well as in clusters and finaly on the individual plants. So far Forestpack seems to have the easiest setup for this granularity of variation.
        Signing out,
        Christian

Comment

Very interesting indeed. We're currently updating a lot of textures and materials at our studio, and leaves have always been a pretty tricky matter.

I have a argued that the vray2sided material is basicly flawed (atleast when used for foliage), since it simply mixes the front and the back materials. Just adding the lighting of the backfacing material to the front facing one, and completely ignoring the reflective- and prehaps even the diffuse aspects of that material would make it a lot easier to use.
          Most leaves I have encountered in real life have a rich green and rather shiny top side - and a matter but brighter bottom side. This being most prominent in the silver poplar. Setting a 2sided material up to get decent translucency, yet keep the very different characteristics of the both sides is quite hard. You'll end up with an extremely dull material if you set the transclucency higher than 128, and you will not get sufficient translucency using values lower than 128. Maybe someone has done it, but I have never been able to get it right.

Looking forward to seeing what the people at Ronen's forum come up with.
          Last edited by windowlicker; 10-09-2012, 08:55 AM.
          www.whiteview.se

Comment

2 sided doesnt simple mix front and back. you can set easy different/seperate speculars and reflections for both sides. (make sure to have "back side" disabled in reflection)
            to my knowledge and testing it does take the material aspects into acount too (surface specularity/reflectivity) - if you make the opposite site strong reflective, only few light travels through the 2 sided, as this is in real. it is easy to test yourself (make it very strong reflecting and almost no light will travel, if only little reflection (best with ior) light will travel a lot more, as expected in reality.

so i think it is very realistic, also how it deals with shadow and transporting light from one side to the other, more or less blurred depending on distance of the object is quite nice.

stefan

p.s.: i was also amazed about the thread on beckermanns forum, many strange setups there.
            Last edited by lllab; 10-09-2012, 10:22 AM.

Comment

I also use the 2sided material all the time. But the trade-off between specularity and transluscency is, indeed, a bit of a problem, even if it is physically grounded. Leaves are often very specular and very transluscent at the same time. I have yet to find a balance that works in all circumstances.
              Check my blog

Comment

I always had an awful time with 2 sidedmtl and leaves... until I found out my "linear workflow" gamma settings were completely wrong. I've read 1000 threads and asked around but I had it way off. It took Bernhard Reider 20 minutes to spot the flaws in my gamma/workflow setup and it's been much easier since then.

Comment

I think we must use the affect shadows option in the second mat.I cant control the leaves specular.It's hard to setup specular and translucency.
                  http://facebook.com/Avisgrafik

Comment

Originally posted by tolgahan View Post
                    I think we must use the affect shadows option in the second mat.I cant control the leaves specular.It's hard to setup specular and translucency.
                    Which part is hard? How are you trying to set this up? Btw Affect shadows only works for refractions, which you don't need for leaves.

Best regards,
                    Vlado

Comment

Vlado, any tips on achieving hich specularity and high translucency at the same time in a 2sided material?
                      Check my blog

Comment

Originally posted by trixian View Post
                        I was going to comment the same as Vlado here, and also add that that thread on the Ronenbekerman site is full of really strange material setups, and people generally confused as to what is what in images of foliage. The biggest issue is getting a good variation of colours on individual leaves as well as in clusters and finaly on the individual plants. So far Forestpack seems to have the easiest setup for this granularity of variation.
                        As long as we keep rendering trees that mainly look like trees because they are shaped like trees, I wouldn't call anyones attempt at creating more organic looking leaves as somehow off the mark because the material setup is unusual. I'm yet to see 100% convincing nature renders made with Vray simply because the leaves always suck.
                        Ville Kiuru
                        www.flavors.me/vkiuru

Comment

Agreed with the above comment, the strange nature of some of the shader setups reflect the fact that people are simply experimenting with different ways to achieve this phenomena, rather than a lack of understanding on their part. Check out their portfolio's and you'll see the vast majority are very accomplished visualisation artists.
                          Check out my (rarely updated) blog @ http://macviz.blogspot.co.uk/

www.robertslimbrick.com

Cache nothing. Brute force everything.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                            The 2sided material should work fine most of the time, but many people set it with weird values. In general leaves are highly translucent, meaning that they look darker when viewed from the lit side, and much brighter from behind. This means that the translucency value in the 2sided material must be generally set up to a brighter value. The basic set up is very easy, a green diffuse material for front/back, and a light grey translucency value, that's all.

Best regards,
                            Vlado
                            Now I try do this.I'm having trouble in areas where the lights touch the leaves.Next I am trying to add transluscency map

http://facebook.com/Avisgrafik

Comment

I'm writing a short tutorial on that, I'll post it a bit later.

Best regards,
                              Vlado

Comment

Working...
                              X