Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grant Warwick- Mastering Vray: Material Ideas Needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by grantwarwick View Post
    cm and cm

The measurements on the floor grid are accurate so the ball has a radius of about 25cm (Or a large chrome HDR Ball)
    How would this affect things if I use meter or mm for system units?
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Comment

I'll be going with a subscription model so it will cost $120USD for the first 24 materials plus all future materials I create for an entire year.
      Is it based on the new cross Platform shader?
      Is it compatible with both 3 & 2 version?
      What are the balance beetween render time vs quality?
      Entire year= 2013 or 2014? Because we are almost there!
      Thanks

Comment

• Based on vray for 3dsmax at the moment however they will all have to be converted to the new format over time.

The shaders are set up with correct subdivisions for best quality renders. (I go over this in the intro video)
        You change the render time not within the shader but with the global subdivs and noise threshold.

Entire year= from the date you purchased them.
        admin@masteringcgi.com.au

----------------------
        Mastering CGI
        CGSociety Folio
        CREAM Studios
        Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• Originally posted by Morne View Post
          How would this affect things if I use meter or mm for system units?
          The procedurals will scale 10x larger or smaller.

I do change my system units depending on the job and have a handy little script to globally change all procedural values so if you're interested I can provide a scene format in MM, CM, or Meters.

----------------------
          Mastering CGI
          CGSociety Folio
          CREAM Studios
          Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• In regards to the video will other videotuts follow or will the intro video be the only one?
            Cheers,
            Oliver

https://www.artstation.com/mokiki

Comment

Entire year= from the date you purchased them.
              Then, one and half month free update will describe better the deal for pre purchase.
              Better to clarify.

Comment

• Yep, once you purchase you will get all future tutorial videos

@ Fraggle- I wouldn't worry too much, I've been a victim of dickheads pre selling plugins and shaders then disappearing.
                Fortunately, this is my full time job, I can't escape it, I'm constantly creating new materials and even though I can't provide clones of my work shaders, I've been rebuilding them at home.

----------------------
                Mastering CGI
                CGSociety Folio
                CREAM Studios
                Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• Would also be interested, but Im mainly interested in any videos/tutorials on how to approach recreating tricky real world mats.
                  Will you also cover things like DMC/Subdivs etc.?

Comment

• Consider me interested too Grant.

re suggestions, I think what I struggle with most is metals, and multi layered materials especially, when to use them, how to tell from references how many layers to use etc.

I think someone has mentioned it already, but cor-ten steel (aka weathering steel) would be cool, I have some pretty good photos that I use as textures if you want some.

also.. fabrics

Looking forward to seeing your carbon fibre material. I remember a while back getting interested in using mapped anisotropy for different materials and wondering what else it could be used for, do for example woods ever exhibit anisotropic behaviour, I'm guessing they do because they have a grain direction? So OSB might be a cool material to do, or a woven wood material like this: http://www.archreport.com.cn/uploadf...5033837664.jpg

Both roughness and anisotropy are parameters i almost never touch so would be interested to learn more about those.
                    www.peterguthrie.net
                    www.peterguthrie.net/blog/
                    www.pg-skies.net/

Comment

• Yup, Im in! And concure with PG's thoughts on roughness and anistropy.

Comment

• Originally posted by peterguthrie View Post
                        multi layered materials especially, when to use them, how to tell from references how many layers to use etc.

also.. fabrics
                        Also interested in these. I tend to get a bit carried away with layers in blend materials.

Comment

• I'm ready to pre-purchase as well!
                          Seems like a foolish move to miss out on this

Comment

• Count me in
                            Cheers,
                            Oliver

https://www.artstation.com/mokiki

Comment

• I am always interested in great materials, count me in.
                              Set V-Ray class properties en masse with the VMC script
                              Follow me for script updates: @ollyspolys

Comment

• Fantastic news! I look forward to these.

I would also like to second many of the comments made by Peter Guthrie. I too struggle with when to/ not to use multi-layered materials, especially with metals.

Also look forward to the Theory of approaching many of these materials. With that, I will be better equipped to make better decisions about my own materials moving forward! Great stuff!

Cheers!
                                Troy Buckley | Technical Art Director
                                Midwest Studios

Comment

Working...
                                X