Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grant Warwick- Mastering Vray: Material Ideas Needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RockinAkin View Post
    Hmmm, exposure in the Vray_HeroCam is enabled in the scene file - with exposure settings of f/7, 1/100 shutter, and ISO 400.

No idea why or how that got turned on!

Tomorrow, expect a new release with my own HDR already pre-loaded.

Sorry about this!
    admin@masteringcgi.com.au

----------------------
    Mastering CGI
    CGSociety Folio
    CREAM Studios
    Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• When I opened the scene, I had that gamma pop up window, asking me if I want to change FileOutGamma from 2.2 to 1.0, pressed yes, and then rendered the image, I get the same underexposered result (with SRGB btn on), I just switched the color mapping mode to 'Color mapping and gamma" and now everything looks fine.
      Last edited by Slazzo; 03-12-2013, 08:55 PM.

Comment

• No worries man take your time. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.
        Akin Bilgic | CGGallery.com
        Modeler & Generalist TD

V-Ray Render Optimization
        V-Ray DMC Calculator

Comment

• Originally posted by Slazzo View Post
          When I opened the scene, I had that gamma pop up window, asking me if I want to change FileOutGamma from 2.2 to 1.0, pressed yes, and then rendered the image, I get the same underexposered result (with SRGB btn on), I just switched the color mapping mode to 'Color mapping and gamma" and now everything looks fine.
          Thanks for the info!
          admin@masteringcgi.com.au

----------------------
          Mastering CGI
          CGSociety Folio
          CREAM Studios
          Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• Originally posted by grantwarwick View Post
            [...]
            Edit: That is hilarious,my apologies, thats what happens when a shader screws you around for 2 days!
            No need to apologize. I can see the advantage of that naming convention.
            Cheers,
            Oliver

https://www.artstation.com/mokiki

Comment

• I use that name all the time, how can you all not use it? Apart from what people have already mentioned, everything looks sweet!
              David Weaver

Senior "Belief Crafter"
              Realtime UK

https://www.artstation.com/artist/weaver

Comment

• Just found 10 minutes to have a look at this. Great materials so far - the terminator metal is great. I opened it up in slate view and it blew my mind. I thought there was some dirt on my screen, but no, it was in the texture. Great work so far.

Looking forward to some more basic/boring architectural materials like copper, bronze, chrome, stainless steel, timber etc.
                Kind Regards,
                Richard Birket
                ----------------------------------->
                http://www.blinkimage.com

Comment

• Checked out the materials, they look pretty sweet!
                  I already picked up a new trick (*hint ironman mtl blend amounts)

That said, these are definitely for studio type product renders or similar scenarios. Not for the typical "I want it fast, cheap and yesterday" archviz scenes Not that this is unexpected or unwelcome, of course.
                  The material editor is crawling as well (would be great if it was possible in vray to set lower subdivs for mat previews, like in corona)

anyway, good job I can already see how to apply your techniques to different materials, even without the videos

I have a request for future releases - fabrics. These can be 'GW_Caramel base diffuse map' at times. I have worked out a couple different approaches that work well most of the time, but it would be great to see how someone else approaches the subject. Obviously I don't mean only your basic plain cotton, but stuff like regular/crushed velvet, velour, satin, silk damask, silk moire, etc

Comment

• Thanks Viscorbel for mentioning the crawling in ME - and I concur with your points regarding that and not wanting it "fast/cheap/yesterday".

This morning I tried the car paint material in my studio scene and it couldn't handle it - my (now old and soon to be retired) machine was taking forever to render. For me right now (until I get my new up-to-date machine), Grant's great work will be for learning only at this current moment in time.

I do however have a general question - and as is usually *my* style, I typically think it is something I am not understanding (and that I simply don't know or doubt myself) - but the Material Ball in the scene is, to my view, quite large (if I remember rightly, 50cm in diameter at least) - the materials for me in the scene (say taking red car paint or the blue metal paint as examples), don't look right for that sphere/ball, yet if I put in front of that Material Ball a teapot (of regular, realworld teapot size) and apply those materials - they look great .

Any explanation ?
                    Jez

------------------------------------
                    3DS Max 2023.3.4 | V-Ray 6.10.08 | Phoenix FD 4.40.00 | PD Player 64 1.0.7.32 | Forest Pack Pro 8.2.2 | RailClone 6.1.3
                    Windows 11 Pro 22H2 | NVidia Drivers 535.98 (Game Drivers)

Asus X299 Sage (Bios 4001), i9-7980xe, 128Gb, 1TB m.2 OS, 2 x NVidia RTX 3090 FE
                    ---- Updated 06/09/23 -------

Comment

• Everything is working GREAT! Had to make a few adjustments to my "Basic" Scene. As render times skyrocketed but it's working now WITH my settings
                      Tnx for your great work!
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	TestBrass.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	486.2 KB
ID:	850955

Comment

• Thanks Grant,

The 2014 scene is useless because the last Berconmap (3.03) is not compatible with 2014 (at least on my side)!

Comment

• Originally posted by fraggle View Post
                          Thanks Grant,

The 2014 scene is useless because the last Berconmap (3.03) is not compatible with 2014 (at least on my side)!
                          It's compatible here on my side. Test render is made in Max 2014.

Comment

• Yep - Bercon works fine with 2014.
                            Kind Regards,
                            Richard Birket
                            http://www.blinkimage.com

Comment

• Originally posted by tricky View Post
                              Yep - Bercon works fine with 2014.
                              Originally posted by Sliver_Creations View Post
                              It's compatible here on my side. Test render is made in Max 2014.
                              Oh, my mistake, put it under AutoCAD plug and not under max. Thanks for the info.

Comment

• works fine here, too. Although the installer says 2013, it works on 2014 just fine.
                                Bobby Parker
                                www.bobby-parker.com
                                e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
                                phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
                                • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                                • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
                                • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
                                • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X