Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grant Warwick- Mastering Vray: Material Ideas Needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It was worth it - thanks again!

Question - if you use the regular IOR input then should reflection colour swatch always be set to pure white? I guess you're method is using that approach essentially?
    Win10 x64, 3DS Max 2017 19.0, Vray 3.60.03
    Threadripper 1950x, 64GB RAM, Aurous Gaming 7 x399,

Comment

• Doing a video at the minute too - I've already recorded and binned it three times

Comment

• Originally posted by joconnell View Post
        Doing a video at the minute too - I've already recorded and binned it three times
        Binned each part countless times haha so annoying. Had to script some parts, too dumb for a lot of it :P Did you get the gay call out?
        admin@masteringcgi.com.au

----------------------
        Mastering CGI
        CGSociety Folio
        CREAM Studios
        Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• Not every material is 100% reflective in reality due to impurities and surface roughness dulling light particles but it's such a subtle difference it doesn't really matter...If your concrete is too reflective adjust the reflectance curve before dropping overall the amount at least!

----------------------
          Mastering CGI
          CGSociety Folio
          CREAM Studios
          Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• Originally posted by grantwarwick View Post
            Did you get the gay call out?
            It's the heart of the story!

Comment

• Originally posted by joconnell View Post
              It's the heart of the story!
              ahahahahah

----------------------
              Mastering CGI
              CGSociety Folio
              CREAM Studios
              Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

Hahaha how did you handle it long term? I've got very solid motivation, but I do I have to watch out not to avoid family.
                It get's a bit easier as you get used to it, but still can be a pain in the ass sometimes. I mean those days when max keeps crashing on certain parts, or some stupid software error causes the mouse cursor to be frozen through hours of video, etc I keep a special pillow nearby that I can punch after scrapping the 3rd or 4th take in a row, lol

Honestly, you have a big advantage in that english is your native language, I can't even count all the time I've spent cutting out the parts where my tongue get's tied in a knot hehe

Long term, it's hard to keep it up if you are also working full time. Easier if you are freelancing from time to time or can focus only on this stuff.
                So try not to burn out, man! We still want more

Comment

• Watched it, and really appreciate the time you have put in! I read a lot about metals and plastics, but what about more organic materials, like woods? I have never seen a chart on the IOR of different variances of wood species.
                  Bobby Parker
                  www.bobby-parker.com
                  e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
                  phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
                  • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                  • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
                  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
                  • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

• Grant, your video are great and what's important to the community is the content, not the container. The best trainer's so far from my knowledge is Jean Louis Arboit from CGI trainer (tutorial in french only I guess), but JYA as both, experience in training and in production, plus probably a real talent to teach others.
                    Thanks for the second lesson.

Comment

• Originally posted by glorybound View Post
                      Watched it, and really appreciate the time you have put in! I read a lot about metals and plastics, but what about more organic materials, like woods? I have never seen a chart on the IOR of different variances of wood species.
                      I'll cover everything over time!

----------------------
                      Mastering CGI
                      CGSociety Folio
                      CREAM Studios
                      Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• Originally posted by fraggle View Post
                        Grant, your video are great and what's important to the community is the content, not the container. The best trainer's so far from my knowledge is Jean Louis Arboit from CGI trainer (tutorial in french only I guess), but JYA as both, experience in training and in production, plus probably a real talent to teach others.
                        Thanks for the second lesson.
                        Maybe language barrier is preventing me from fully understanding you but are you suggesting I watch this training? What is JYA?
                        Sorry!

----------------------
                        Mastering CGI
                        CGSociety Folio
                        CREAM Studios
                        Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

Maybe language barrier is preventing me from fully understanding you but are you suggesting I watch this training? What is JYA?
                          Sorry!
                          JYA->Jean Louis Arboit.
                          My suggestion is "don't bother yourself with container" focus on content.
                          Training is a field by itself and to my knowledge, JYA is the master in this field.

Comment

• Grant, thanks for the second video. I have a small question though: Instead of creating a blend material with three different glossiness parameters, couldn't we just put a falloff-curve into the glossiness parameter of a single material? Is the effect too different from your approach?
                            https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

• Originally posted by fraggle View Post
                              JYA->Jean Louis Arboit.
                              My suggestion is "don't bother yourself with container" focus on content.
                              Training is a field by itself and to my knowledge, JYA is the master in this field.
                              What is the container?
                              also, thanks for your answer!

Originally posted by kosso_olli View Post
                              Grant, thanks for the second video. I have a small question though: Instead of creating a blend material with three different glossiness parameters, couldn't we just put a falloff-curve into the glossiness parameter of a single material? Is the effect too different from your approach?
                              Ahhhh, I thought of this too but that is where you must observe the difference between Blurring the glossiness based on angle and blending it.

Simply blurring the reflection based on angle makes it impossible to have different glossiness values "overlap" like on my wacom tablet.
                              If you observe the material at about 70 degrees you can see BOTH a blurry AND mirror quality happening at the same time!

AFAIk this is the only approach known besides using a complex BRDF like the GGX one but in terms of pure results, this method does compare very well to GGX.

here is an example.

Last edited by grantwarwick; 30-12-2013, 08:45 AM.

----------------------
                              Mastering CGI
                              CGSociety Folio
                              CREAM Studios
                              Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• Bercon Maps Question,

This may have been addressed but I couldn't find the answer to this. It looks like the developer for this plugin/script has stopped supporting this. Is there a 2014 version?

Comment

Working...
                                X