Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people use falloffmaps set to fresnel in the vray material?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do people use falloffmaps set to fresnel in the vray material?

As per title - I assumed that this could be handled by the IOR in the vray material.
    Win10 x64, 3DS Max 2017 19.0, Vray 3.60.03
    Threadripper 1950x, 64GB RAM, Aurous Gaming 7 x399,

my understanding is, it's a viewing angle thing.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

It is but don't you get the same result by ticking the Fresnel box in the vray material?

Comment

I think with IOR you can't easily control the amount of front on reflection vs the side reflection amount.
        Maya 2020/2022
        Win 10x64
        Vray 5

Comment

I think some people just like to play around with the curve.
          Cheers,
          Oliver

https://www.artstation.com/mokiki

Comment

Via Falloffmap you can control the specific behavior of reflectivity and glossiness not only by custom curves but also by textures.

Gives you much more control.
            visit my behance profile

Comment

because typically the boss or the client says to make the glass more reflective. Then in the falloff you just make the black swatch less black. It's easier to "cheat things"
              if you only have fresnel ticked and reflectiveness is 255,255,255, it will be more "accurate" but often then you loose reflectiveness on glass when viewed perpendicular. Then just cheat it with falloff map set to fresnel and make the black something like 20,20,20 for example depending on your needs
              Kind Regards,
              Morne

Comment

Ok that clarifies things - thanks

Comment

I never find myself needing to use a falloff map to control/create Fresnel reflections. Simply by ticking Fresnel reflections in the VRay shader I can create any kind of material I need, with any kind of reflectance values I need. What a lot of people neglect to mention is that the IOR controls reflectance when Fresnel reflections is ticked, meaning you get more metallic reflections (perpendicular to viewing angle) as you increase the IOR, and more plastic/rubber style reflections as you decrease it.
                  Check out my (rarely updated) blog @ http://macviz.blogspot.co.uk/

www.robertslimbrick.com

Cache nothing. Brute force everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Macker View Post
                    I never find myself needing to use a falloff map to control/create Fresnel reflections. Simply by ticking Fresnel reflections in the VRay shader I can create any kind of material I need, with any kind of reflectance values I need. What a lot of people neglect to mention is that the IOR controls reflectance when Fresnel reflections is ticked, meaning you get more metallic reflections (perpendicular to viewing angle) as you increase the IOR, and more plastic/rubber style reflections as you decrease it.
                    Yes the IOR Fresnel option is more realistic and physically accurate. However if you want to increase reflection on faces facing the camera u can not do it. There for you have to use Falloff map. Its for artistic purpose and in some cases for more advance users to take the advantage off.
                    CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

...Yes you can, using the IOR.

www.robertslimbrick.com

Comment

The IOR changes the direction of the reflection. With falloff map you can keep the direction the same but increase the reflection
                        Kind Regards,
                        Morne

Comment

No it doesn't it, changes the direction of the refraction, not reflection. The reflection angle stays the same regardless of IOR.

www.robertslimbrick.com

Comment

We more often than not tick fresnel on in the material and control the falloff using the IOR, but this is quite arbitrary (to me as an artist, rather than a scientist).

Sometimes, if I predict that we are going to want to fake things (i.e. have strong reflections when looking directly perpendicular to the glass/metal/reflective surface, but also have strong - but not as strong - reflections at glancing angles), I will use a falloff in there instead.
                            Kind Regards,
                            Richard Birket
                            ----------------------------------->
                            http://www.blinkimage.com

----------------------------------->

Comment

No you cant. If you want to increase reflection of faces facing the camera and don't change reflection of faces facing away from camera you can not do it using IOR. Fresnel increase it all not just one or another angle.
                              CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

Working...
                              X