No announcement yet.

Sp 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm assuming the file is saved to the root of C:/, correct?
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
      I'm assuming the file is saved to the root of C:/, correct?
      Yes!... I have about 10 render nodes to update this will be an enormous help.
      "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
      Thomas A. Edison

Comment

I just installed SP5 and the time it takes to load a file with a lot of vray proxies has gone through the roof! I think i might go back to SP3.

In fact the load times for just any file has gone way up... and I am not sure that this file with lots of proxies will ever load at this point, but i will leave it loading while i go out to dinner.

Anyone else noticed this?
        WerT
        www.dvstudios.com.au

Comment

Has for the .bat file. I have made one that i used with Deadline (i had to use some extra code to overcome the UAC, but if the launcher is running as a service there should be no problem).

Code:
          sc stop "vrayspawner 2014"
          msiexec /update PATHTOUPDATE\3dsMax2014_SP5.msp /quiet /norestart /l* %public%\update_sp5.log
          sc start "vrayspawner 2014"
          PS: Word of warning, 3dsmax should be close when updating with this command or you may lose work, since max becomes pretty unstable. If you loose work don't blame, as i warned.

Regarding the slow open of files, we at least didn't notice, what we did notice is that with Windows 8.1, there is some slowness regarding with network access (in windows 8.0 this doesn't happen) in 3dsmax.

Best regards,
          Daniel
          Last edited by dgsantana; 19-03-2014, 02:56 AM.
          Daniel Santana | Co-Founder / Technical Director
          You can do it! VFX
          Lisbon/Porto - Portugal
          http://www.ycdivfx.com

Comment

I just got back from dinner and my file has opened... Not sure how long it ended up taking but from ~1min in SP3 to at least over 5 mins in SP5! I will save the file now with SP5 and see if opening it up is faster. We are on win7 64 pro.

Saving the file went at normal speed... about 15 seconds.

Loading it up again... seems to be taking a while, I am timing it this time.

CPU use sitting at 8%... network use sitting at 0% (file is on NAS) Memory use gradually rising.
            Last edited by werticus; 19-03-2014, 03:27 AM.
            WerT
            www.dvstudios.com.au

Comment

Wont install at all for me. It just says the program to be updated isn't installed?
              Check out my (rarely updated) blog @ http://macviz.blogspot.co.uk/

www.robertslimbrick.com

Cache nothing. Brute force everything.

Comment

oh boy it took 12 mins to open!

hrmmmmmmmm I think i'll have a look at what bugs were actually fixed between SP3 and SP5 and if i need them more than i need a 12 min break.
                WerT
                www.dvstudios.com.au

Comment

Everything seems to work okay once open, DR slaves render fine etc. However when cancelling a render it takes forever to come back to max now. I think reverting to SP3 is the way to go.
                  WerT
                  www.dvstudios.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by Macker View Post
                    Wont install at all for me. It just says the program to be updated isn't installed?
                    Make sure you get the right version. The 3dsmax sp5 wont update the 3dsmax design version

Comment

Ahhh, that'll be why then.
                      Check out my (rarely updated) blog @ http://macviz.blogspot.co.uk/

www.robertslimbrick.com

Cache nothing. Brute force everything.

Comment

Hrmm maybe this has nothing to do with SP5... i reinstalled and went with SP3 again and the load times are just as long. It might just be all the proxies... I had added a ton last time i worked on the scene.

i am going to create a thread in problems section.
                        Last edited by werticus; 19-03-2014, 07:23 AM.
                        WerT
                        www.dvstudios.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by werticus View Post
                          Hrmm maybe this has nothing to do with SP5... i reinstalled and went with SP3 again and the load times are just as long. It might just be all the proxies... I had added a ton last time i worked on the scene.

You almost certainly know this already, but it's worth repeating for those who don't:
                          With VRay Proxies make sure they are all set to display as box within the proxy (and NOT within the Max "object properties" as this does nothing to speed up display speed). There are many scripts floating around to do this to all. And also double-check you haven't accidentally copied any as copies instead of instances as this will slow things down by a huge factor
                          http://www.glass-canvas.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by werticus View Post

It would be useful if you could provide us the scene along with all external assets for investigation(FTP could be provided if needed).
                            An additional information would be also needed:

With what Vray and 3DSMax versions (including service packs) the scene opens and renders normally?
                            And with what versions cause slowdown during opening and rendering?

You could also open a new ticket at:
                            http://support.chaosgroup.com/
                            /The web interface of the ticket system is closed and not available, please send an email instead/

or open a new thread in Problems section.
                            Last edited by Filip.Stoyanov; 27-03-2014, 03:07 AM.
                            Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
                            Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Working...
                            X