Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Correct workflow if CG object integration onto backplate... ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wilyman View Post
    Just copy your camera map per pixel map into the opacity slot of the material, and stick a plain white image in there.
    Then the part of the object that's in the frame will be opaque, everything else will be transparent, and your environment reflections will get through.

I don't have VRay open at the moment, but isn't there a tick box in the properties that says something to the effect of 'no shadows on other mattes'?
    Or am I dreaming it?

Cheers,

John
    Camera map with white in opacity slot makes sense, thanks!

But no, no checkbox named no shadows on other mattes. There is only "No GI on other mattes" checkbox, which is enabled, and does not even seem to work, because even when the checkbox is on, i still get that ugly exaggerated GI spill from my matte objects on other matte objects. I have found that setting GI amount to 0.0 somewhat works. But, again, have not found any option to prevent matte self-shadowing.

Comment

The problem you have with tiling can be easily solved by turning off horizontal and vertical tiling in the backplate bitmap. I have no solution to the other issues, this has been annoying me in the past as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Shimakaze View Post
        The problem you have with tiling can be easily solved by turning off horizontal and vertical tiling in the backplate bitmap. I have no solution to the other issues, this has been annoying me in the past as well.
        Actually no. If i disable tiling, i get black color. Black color is something different than passing rays through to the environment. But Wilyman has already helped me with that. Putting camera map per pixel with white color plugged in into the opacity slot should work.

Comment

Originally posted by Recon442 View Post
          Actually no. If i disable tiling, i get black color. Black color is something different than passing rays through to the environment. But Wilyman has already helped me with that. Putting camera map per pixel with white color plugged in into the opacity slot should work.
          That's odd, it works for me on your example scene. But at least you have found a solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Shimakaze View Post
            That's odd, it works for me on your example scene. But at least you have found a solution.
            Well, on my example scene, coincidentally, there is a black environment. Because there is no environment map. But that's only rarely a case

Comment

Well, on my example scene, coincidentally, there is a black environment. Because there is no environment map. But that's only rarely a case
              Oooh I understand what you mean now! Never mind then.

Comment

There is only "No GI on other mattes" checkbox, which is enabled, and does not even seem to work
                This seems to be a bug when the "matte for reflection/refraction" option is enabled - it prevents the "no GI on other mattes" from working properly. Will be fixed for the next nightly/stable tomorrow. Thanks for the pointer!

Best regards,
                Vlado
                Last edited by vlado; 10-06-2014, 05:26 AM.
                I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Also made sure that if the projection for reflections/refractions goes outside the background image, it is not tiled, but the background is computed.

Best regards,
                  Vlado

Comment

Additionally, there as a bug with the automatic projection when the camera had a non-orthonormal matrix...

Best regards,
                    Vlado

Comment

This is what it looks now:

Click image for larger version

Name:	table_matte.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	852157

It's getting there... very useful test case - thanks again!

Best regards,
                      Vlado

Comment

which of Recon's techniques did you use Vlado? Self illuminated material in side Vray Wrapper set as matte ?
                        Can you post the scene using the correct setup?

Comment

Originally posted by pg1 View Post
                          which of Recon's techniques did you use Vlado? Self illuminated material in side Vray Wrapper set as matte ?
                          I didn't use his setup.

Can you post the scene using the correct setup?
                          I will, but you will need an updated V-Ray build to render it correctly.

Best regards,
                          Vlado

Comment

Whoa, this looks very good!

Too bad i wont be able to try myself for a while. Managed to break my right arm, so using 3ds Max with one hand seems rather impossible

Comment

Vlado,
                              is there a way to get only the shadows from the matte reflecting into other objects? Because that is what I need to do all the time...
                              https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Hmm, looking at that image posted by Vlado again, something seems off...

Is there any reason why those integrated teapots do not cast shadows on themselves? -.-

Only matte objects should be non-selfshadowing....

Comment

Working...
                                X