No announcement yet.

V-Ray 3.0 For 3ds Max Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also can't seem to locate the new 3.0 Update from the Newsletter today. The last one I can access is from May.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    V-Ray 6.20.02, 3ds Max (3D Studio thru Max 2024), GIGABYTE X570 AORUS Master Motherboard, Ryzen 9 3950x CPU, Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler, 128 GB G.SKILL Trident Z Neo DDR4 Ram, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD
    -----------------------------------------
    Autodesk Expert Elite Member

Comment

Originally posted by Nicinus View Post
      Ehem, what is GGX? When I google it I get Gold's Gym and some other stuff that seems unrelated.
      Just Google "GGX Shader". I can only see 3.00.07 in he download also

Comment

GGX is a shader model that has some advantages over Phong and Blinn. It's great for reflections. It facilitates getting that hard specular surrounded with a diffuse falloff haze around it, among other things.
        V-Ray 6.20.02, 3ds Max (3D Studio thru Max 2024), GIGABYTE X570 AORUS Master Motherboard, Ryzen 9 3950x CPU, Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler, 128 GB G.SKILL Trident Z Neo DDR4 Ram, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD

Comment

Hello guys,

I can see that a lot of you had different kind of issues with our website: slow speed / faulty errors / missing builds and etc.
          That might be due to server overloading - would you please try to access and download the new version again and let us know if you have any issues like extremely slow speed and etc?

Thank you very much in advance.
          Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
          Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Hi Svetlozar,

On my end there is no file available in Firefox, Chrome or IE. I cleared my cache and in all of them I get the following:

Click image for larger version

Name:	chaos.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	266.9 KB
ID:	854296

Comment

I got the new update with no problem other than it was a little slow but figured it was just getting overloaded...
              Cheers,
              -dave
              â–  ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X â–  ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX â–  ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX â–  GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX â–  ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k â– 

Comment

Originally posted by RobH22 View Post
                Hi Svetlozar,

On my end there is no file available in Firefox, Chrome or IE. I cleared my cache and in all of them I get the following:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21151[/ATTACH]
                There are some issues with the demo version - it will be available for download in the next few hours.
                Last edited by svetlozar.draganov; 03-10-2014, 01:20 AM.
                Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
                Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

In the latest dailies for 3ds Max VRay I still can't fin the GGX BDRF... Is that limited to Maya right now? Maya-Shmaya... they should always get things after Max
                  Last edited by Joelaff; 09-11-2014, 10:03 AM.

Comment

The GGX BRDF is a feature of the upcoming service pack of V-Ray for 3ds Max.

Best regards,
                    Vlado
                    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Cool. Thanks for clarifying, Vlado.

Comment

Is there an ETA on the service pack?

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                        The GGX BRDF is a feature of the upcoming service pack of V-Ray for 3ds Max.

Best regards,
                        Vlado
                        James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
                        Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

It's final touches now, so hopefully towards the end of the month.

Best regards,
                          Vlado
                          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by RobH22 View Post
                            GGX is a shader model that has some advantages over Phong and Blinn. It's great for reflections. It facilitates getting that hard specular surrounded with a diffuse falloff haze around it, among other things.
                            The hotspot-to-tail ratio is now fully configurable within the bounds of the GTR (Generalized-Trowbridge-Reitz) BRDF, with an added parameter called "Gamma" (nothing to do with the LWF gamma.).
                            When gamma is at 2.0, the special-case model is called GGX (or just TR, without the "Generalized" keyword), while with gamma at 10, the behaviour is extremely close to the Beckmann model.

Notice the gtr gamma is doing exceedingly pretty things with and without fresnel active, and at very small increments of gamma/gloss around some key values, spread around the whole BRDF domain.
                            In early tests i was using it as a diffuse base, to give you an idea of just how powerful the model is, particularly considering back then gamma was fixed at 2.0.

Here's a test render from Vlado. (Hey, you posted it on G+, man! :P )
                            http://help.chaosgroup.com/vray/imag...tr_render.html

and a link to the chief paper in matters of BRDFs at this moment in time, from Disney, from which pretty much everyone is drawing inspiration or straight-out code (see fig.18 for the BRDFs gamma comparison.)

https://disney-animation.s3.amazonaw...f_notes_v2.pdf
                            Lele
                            Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                            ----------------------
                            emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                            The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
                              The hotspot-to-tail ratio is now fully configurable within the bounds of the GTR (Generalized-Trowbridge-Reitz) BRDF, with an added parameter called "Gamma" (nothing to do with the LWF gamma.).
                              When gamma is at 2.0, the special-case model is called GGX (or just TR, without the "Generalized" keyword), while with gamma at 10, the behaviour is extremely close to the Beckmann model.

Notice the gtr gamma is doing exceedingly pretty things with and without fresnel active, and at very small increments of gamma/gloss around some key values, spread around the whole BRDF domain.
                              In early tests i was using it as a diffuse base, to give you an idea of just how powerful the model is, particularly considering back then gamma was fixed at 2.0.

Here's a test render from Vlado. (Hey, you posted it on G+, man! :P )
                              http://help.chaosgroup.com/vray/imag...tr_render.html

and a link to the chief paper in matters of BRDFs at this moment in time, from Disney, from which pretty much everyone is drawing inspiration or straight-out code (see fig.18 for the BRDFs gamma comparison.)

https://disney-animation.s3.amazonaw...f_notes_v2.pdf
                              In other words it's not just GGX, it's even better? Will this be VRay RT compatible?
                              A.

---------------------
                              www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

With proper permission:

The image is a three-layer blend material with three reflective-only materials (diffuse is black).
                                The only change between them is GTR glossiness and "GTR tail falloff" (As the gamma parameter has been relabelled for the UI).
                                The diffuse and specular layers have an Ior of 4.0, while the sheen layer has an Ior of 3.0.
                                In order, RGB, Sheen (0.35 gloss, extra-low gamma at 0.05) , Diffuse (0.05 Gloss, Beckmann-level Gamma of 10.0), and Specular (0.65 gloss, GGX Gamma of 2) .

Click image for larger version

Name:	rgba.jpg
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	854613Click image for larger version

Name:	sheen.png
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	854614Click image for larger version

Name:	diffuse.png
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	854615Click image for larger version

Name:	spec.png
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	854616

So, while we are not quite AT the principled brdf mixer Disney (and PRMan 19) have, we have most of the tools to build our own well in place. ^^
                                Lele
                                Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                                ----------------------
                                emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                                The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Working...
                                X