No announcement yet.

V-Ray 3.0 For 3ds Max Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a script I've used for years which drops my render settings down to base level for 500px test renders, on my latest tests with the newest build I've noticed that I don't get to watch the buckets move, it's just done. Super fast!
    Maxscript made easy....
    davewortley.wordpress.com
    Follow me here:
    facebook.com/MaxMadeEasy

If you don't MaxScript, then have a look at my blog and learn how easy and powerful it can be.

Comment

OMG guys youre testing my patience
      We wants thisssss!
      Martin
      http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_Wortley View Post
        I have a script I've used for years which drops my render settings down to base level for 500px test renders, on my latest tests with the newest build I've noticed that I don't get to watch the buckets move, it's just done. Super fast!
        What a tease! Sounds like a nice script.....

Comment

Indeed we want this! Would love to test it too? where do we write to if you would like to test it? thanks.

Comment

don't know what voodoo you did but i'm happy.

test render
            3.00.08 - 19m,55.8s
            3.01.01 - 14m,43.2s

Comment

You know, it sometimes not being able to say things hurts those who know as much as those who do not.
              In this instance, for 25% good reasons. ^^
              Lele
              Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
              ----------------------
              emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
              The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Lele have you considered writing this is OSL? Then it would work for both Maya & Max which would be groovy.

Comment

Dave, couldn't seem to find that fast 500px render script or info on it in your Wordpress. What's a good search term to locate it?
                  ------------------------------------------------------------
                  V-Ray 6.20.02, 3ds Max (3D Studio thru Max 2024), GIGABYTE X570 AORUS Master Motherboard, Ryzen 9 3950x CPU, Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler, 128 GB G.SKILL Trident Z Neo DDR4 Ram, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD
                  -----------------------------------------
                  Autodesk Expert Elite Member
                  ------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
                    With proper permission:

The image is a three-layer blend material with three reflective-only materials (diffuse is black).
                    The only change between them is GTR glossiness and "GTR tail falloff" (As the gamma parameter has been relabelled for the UI).
                    The diffuse and specular layers have an Ior of 4.0, while the sheen layer has an Ior of 3.0.
                    In order, RGB, Sheen (0.35 gloss, extra-low gamma at 0.05) , Diffuse (0.05 Gloss, Beckmann-level Gamma of 10.0), and Specular (0.65 gloss, GGX Gamma of 2) .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21691[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21692[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21693[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21694[/ATTACH]

So, while we are not quite AT the principled brdf mixer Disney (and PRMan 19) have, we have most of the tools to build our own well in place. ^^
                    Is the diffuse here intended to be an implementation of the diffuse from the Disney Principled BRDF? I understand how you are getting it by tweaking a GGX, but I am not sure I understand how this follows their new diffuse model as it is described in section 5.3 of the paper. Could you enlighten me?

Comment

No, There was never any intention to replicate the paper exactly in the first place.
                      It's just that the layered approach debate in here made me realise we missed pretty much nothing to be able to replicate a similar approach to shader building.
                      The diffuse term they propose is a standard one blended with a fresnel-driven one, nothing too fancy at all (sure, fancier than Lambert. booyah.).
                      The approach i took, however, was to always have the fresnel term active , and to drive the diffuse "flatness" or "Roundness" through an explicit IoR and Roughness values.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	UI.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	856372
                      However, the shader's now in the hands of Chaosgroup themselves, so they'll think about all the changes, and portability, necessary.
                      I have been extensively testing the pxrDisney shader in the latest rMan for maya version, and i have to say it left me very underwhelmed, at the net of all the hype (and paper writing.).
                      For instance, i realised i had no chance to deal with transparency of any sort from within the shader, or that the whole shader setup is not energy preserving (well, that's quite common across the app, tbh.).
                      So, hey, i wouldn't get too attached to the shader itself, although the paper is full of interesting data (hopefully spun a bit less than the shader itself, hey?).
                      Last edited by ^Lele^; 22-06-2015, 01:28 AM.
                      Lele
                      ----------------------

Disclaimer:
                      The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

I love the simplicity of that design Lele, it's much more artist friendly, no need to think about what different combination of maps and tricks you need to do to give it a certain effect, just turn the effect on and dial it up and down. Simple!

I would love to see a fully fledged VRay Shader which does this.
                        Maxscript made easy....
                        davewortley.wordpress.com
                        Follow me here:
                        facebook.com/MaxMadeEasy

If you don't MaxScript, then have a look at my blog and learn how easy and powerful it can be.

Comment

Of course i stopped short of supporting maps, purely because of laziness and the amount of text I'd have had to write.
                          But yes, i'd love to see just two main "shaders" in vray: one such as this one (type, not specifically this), and one fully node-based, with plug-in BxDF components into a layer collector able to preserve energy at the top, no matter the underlying setup (through either clamping or renormalisation, preferably).
                          I may be able to try and convert this one to OSL, although i'd have to get phased with the Chaos guys to make sure we didn't do it twice (besides, Ivaylo runs LAPS around me in OSL...). ^^
                          Lele
                          ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Hello,

A new V-Ray for 3ds Max update is available. Version 3.20.03 has several improvements and bug fixes, as follows:

Code:
                            Build 3.20.03 (official) (10 July 2015)
                            ==============

Modified features:
                            (*) V-Ray: Faster rendering of dynamic meshes, instances and VRayProxy objects;
                            (*) VFB: Deleting an image from the VFB history now sends it to the Recycle Bin;
                            (*) VRayDistanceTex: Optimized calculations when "inside separate" and "outside separate" options are both disabled;
                            (*) VRayVolumeGrid: Enabled deleting of all but the last point in diagram and gradient controls;
                            (*) VRayVolumeGrid: Enabled markers in gradient controls to be moved across their neighbors;

Bug fixes:
                            (*) V-Ray: Render settings dialog progressively opened slower and could lead to a crash;
                            (*) V-Ray: 3ds Max froze when selecting the "Cache limit type" option in the DR settings dialog;
                            (*) V-Ray: Fixed black images with texture baking and image auto-save;
                            (*) V-Ray: Fixed crashes with Embree hair in specific situations;
                            (*) V-Ray: Fixed stuck bucket with Embree in specific scene;
                            (*) V-Ray: Single channel .exr files were not loaded as grayscale;
                            (*) V-Ray: VFB+ tool windows are inactive when rendering with V-Ray;
                            (*) V-Ray: The thumbnail preview render for exposure control plugins didn't work correctly with the V-Ray VFB enabled;
                            (*) Hair&Fur: Fixed crash during light cache calculation;
                            (*) VRayDisplacementMod: Fixed render was freezing with static subdivision and tiled textures when the displacement map was missing;
                            (*) VRayDisplacementMod: Fixed artifacts appearing with "cached normals" on displaced objects with "subdivision" method;
                            (*) VRayPhysicalCamera: Fixed physical camera shifted view when rendering with distortion map;
                            (*) VRayLightMtl: Rendering with direct illumination enabled unhid lights in viewports;
                            (*) VRayOrnatrixMod: Ox Hair from Mesh Strips didn't respect Ox render settings and always rendered with defaults;
                            (*) VRayHairFarmMod: HairFarm hair did not respect light include/exclude lists;
                            (*) VRayFur: Inconsistent rendering results with texture mapped materials applied to VRayFur;
                            (*) VFB: Loading V-Ray settings from the history sometimes did not refresh the Render Setup UI properly;
                            (*) VFB: Fixed crash when the V-Ray VFB resolution was different from the 3ds Max and there were G-Buffer channels;
                            (*) VRaySun: Too dark sun light in the 3ds Max viewports when using Physical Camera exposure control in 3ds Max 2016;
                            (*) VRayVolumeGrid: Fixed UI flickering when enabling the Auto Range option;
                            (*) V-Ray RT: RT export slowed down when exporting a lot of frames for animation;
                            (*) V-Ray RT: Objects with VRayDisplacement modifier were not rendered when VRayVelocity RE was present;
                            (*) V-Ray RT: Rendering randomly stopped during animation sequences;
                            (*) V-Ray RT: Distortion type and custom attributes of the Physical Camera for 3ds Max 2016 were not translated;
                            (*) V-Ray RT: VRayFur was not motion blurred with the geometry it was assigned to unless its gizmo had some animation too;
                            (*) V-Ray RT: BerconNoise texture UVW coordinates were not exported when distortion was disabled;
                            (*) V-Ray RT GPU: Wrong interpolation of the light cache could cause increased flickering in animations;
                            (*) V-Ray RT GPU: Vertex Color texture inside a Composite texture didn't render properly;
                            (*) V-Ray RT GPU: Fixed wrong render of textured rectangle lights in some situations;
                            (*) V-Ray RT GPU: Flakes for car paint material rendered with wrong normals;
                            (*) V-Ray RT GPU: Texture baking could produce incorrect results after a regular render;
                            (*) V-Ray RT GPU: Displaced geometry was not included in the light cache;
                            (*) V-Ray RT GPU: Objects with camera visibility OFF did not cast shadows;
                            (*) V-Ray RT GPU: Fixed sub-optimal rendering of motion blurred displaced meshes;
                            (*) V-Ray RT GPU CUDA: Fixed driver crash with hair and light cache;
                            (*) V-Ray RT GPU CUDA: VRayHairInfoTex with mode Random by strand index produced solid color;

Thank you,
                            - The V-Ray for 3ds Max team
                            Alexander Kazandzhiev
                            V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

--
                              disregard
                              Last edited by Art48; 30-07-2015, 02:23 AM.
                              Software:
                              Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
                              3ds Max 2016 SP4
                              V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
                              Intel Core i7-4930K @ 3.40 GHz
                              NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (4096MB RAM)
                              64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

(*) V-Ray: Faster rendering of dynamic meshes, instances and VRayProxy objects
                                This sounds nice. How much "faster" are we talking about, though? And does this also apply to rendering proxies included in multiscatter/forest pack setups?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X